[comp.dcom.modems] Multitech Modems

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (840033@G.Pavlov) (11/08/87)

 Request for input:

 I am considering purchasing Multitech's 2400 baud modems (224's) to serve on
 the dial-in ports of a uVAX system (via a Micom port selector).  My major rea-
 son for purchasing 2400-baud units is to provide better noise "supppresion"
 for our dial-in users, most of which are using 1200-baud Hayes units.

 I would appreciate comments from people re: a) the quality of the MultiTech
 modems themselves, b) the transparency (to software and  hardware) of their
 substitution for Hayes units, and c) alternatives to the MultiTechs.

 Our major concern is to provide decent connections to long-distance callers,
 many of whom experience noise problems.  Our second concern is that we would
 like to be able to replace the existing Hayes units with a minimum of effort.

   thank you,  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

    .... (harvard)  !hscfvax!pavlov

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (11/12/87)

In article <468@hscfvax.UUCP> pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (840033@G.Pavlov) writes:

> Request for input:
>
> I am considering purchasing Multitech's 2400 baud modems (224's) to serve on
> the dial-in ports of a uVAX system (via a Micom port selector).  My major rea-
> son for purchasing 2400-baud units is to provide better noise "supppresion"
> for our dial-in users, most of which are using 1200-baud Hayes units.

We are using Multi-Tech and have been very happy with them.  We have
over a hundred (I suspect way over, but I don't have the figures), and
we have been very happy with them.  They seem to be more Hayes
compatible than Hayes 2400, since you have the option of not generating
a bunch of "enhanced" messages.  I don't know if they're the best, but
they have been very good for us.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

jvf@stc06.ornl.gov (FARMER J T) (09/12/90)

I recently received a flyer from American Digital for equipment
including some MultiTech modems.  Being in the market for a new modem,
this was of some interest.  They list the following external modems:

224EH		2400bps with MNP 3,4, & 5		$299

696EA		9600bps V.29 with 			$475
		MNP 3, 4, 5, & 6

V.32EA		9600bps with Error Correction, 		$630
		& MNP 3, 4, & 5

The questions I have are:

	Are these good prices for these types of modems?

	Would the V.32EA be a good choice for a dialin/dialout port on a
	Xenix/386 v.3.2.3 system?  What about the 224EH?  What is going
	to happen to MNPx protocols vs. CCITT standards?

	What are most peoples experence with Multitechs?

	Does anyone have a phone number &/or E-net @ for Multitech?

Thanks in Advance
		John

| John T. Farmer, Jr.      | Christ died, was buried, and   | I am the |
| JVF@stc06.ctd.ornl.gov   | arose on the third day.  My    |  NRA.    |
| Oak Ridge, TN            | hope is based on nothing else. |          |
| The Lab. is operated by Martin Marietta Energy Systems for the DOE   |
| Any opinions are mine.  They don't want my opinions, just my skills. |

bill@twg.wimsey.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) (09/12/90)

In <1990Sep11.185658.6201@cs.utk.edu> jvf@stc06.ornl.gov (FARMER J T) writes:

>       What are most peoples experence with Multitechs?

We  have  used Multitech for over a year now and have installed  them  at
several  client  sites.  We have found them to be an  excellent  product.
They  are  easy  to configure because help screens can be brought  up  to
describe the various settings with your current settings along the bottom
of the screen.

There  are  many  more options available to configure than  I  have  seen
previously.   For example, we installed a communication system between  a
head  office  and  two  branch sites in different  cities.   Using  uucp,
accounting  data files were to be transferred at night from the  branches
to  HO.  One branch went fine.  The other one was a nightmare!  Everytime
we  tried  calling  the  site,  the  modem  would  answer,  then  garbage
characters spilling all over the screen.

After exchanging the modem (696EA ?) bringing the computer into Vancouver
where  everything worked fine, I finally called Multitech.  I should have
done  that  first.  I described the symptom and the analyst researched  a
database and found something similar.

He  said it sounded like the phone system in the branch city was  causing
the carrier to be received too strongly and an echo was being seen by the
getty.   He  suggested  lower  the dB strength of the  calling  modem  by
setting  one of the S registers.  This capability wasn't even documented.
By lowering the dB strength of the carrier he thought that the echo would
be reduced.  Guess what?  It worked...first time!

I  believe  that if we had been working with any other brand of modem  we
would  have had to do open heart surgery on the straps inside the  modem,
if we could have done anything at all.  That branch has been transferring
about  4Mb  of data every weekday evening for over six months now and  we
haven't  had  one  corrupt  file  using  their  auto-reliable  MNP  error
correction.

Great modems and good free support.

>       Does anyone have a phone number &/or E-net @ for Multitech?

Their number is 612-785-3500 in Mounds View MN (is that Minnesota?)
--
Bill Irwin    -   TWG The Westrheim Group     -    Vancouver, BC, Canada
uunet!van-bc!twg!bill     (604) 431-9600 (voice) |     UNIX Systems

rsmith@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rusty Smith, MACC) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep11.185658.6201@cs.utk.edu>, jvf@stc06.ornl.gov (FARMER J T) writes...

>I recently received a flyer from American Digital for equipment
>including some MultiTech modems.  Being in the market for a new modem,
>this was of some interest.  They list the following external modems:

>	What are most peoples experence with Multitechs?

We have over 100 of the 224e's rackmounted. I have recently added 8 of
the 932er 9600 baud and they are working well. The reiliabilty of
all of these is very. Also the tech support people are very good.
They are very responsive and helpfull with problems. Even odd ones.

Rusty Smith			Internet:  rsmith@vms.macc.wisc.edu
MACC Data Communications	Bitnet:    rsmith@wiscmacc
(608)  263-6307			Univ. of Wisconsin @ Madison

vernon@hpcvaac.cv.hp.com (Vernon King) (09/14/90)

We use them and have had good luck. Your prices are right in the ballpark. We
get them for a little less but not that much less. I recommend that you get
the v32 if you want 9600. We have been using them for about 2 years and have
bought 50 or so. We also have been using the mt224e 2400 modems with good
results. Easy to configure, easy to use manual and extremely reliable.

REMEMBER MODEMS ARE BLACK MAGIC AND YOUR RESULTS COULD VARY DUE TO PHONE
LINE QUALITY AND WHICH WAY YOUR DOG IS POINTING AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT :)

                           modems r me
                           Vernon

THIS POSTING IS MY OPINION ONLY AND DOES NOT REPRESENT ANY ENDORSEMENT
BY MY EMPLOYER  BLAH BLAH BLAH

alang@trashbin.mv.com (Alan Groupe) (10/05/90)

In article <252@twg.wimsey.bc.ca> bill@twg.wimsey.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) writes:

>After exchanging the modem (696EA ?) bringing the computer into Vancouver
>where  everything worked fine, I finally called Multitech.  I should have
>done  that  first.  I described the symptom and the analyst researched  a
>database and found something similar.
>
> ... He  suggested ....
> ...  This capability wasn't even documented.
>
>I  believe  that if we had been working with any other brand of modem  we
>would  have had to do open heart surgery on the straps inside the  modem,
>if we could have done anything at all.

Not to knock Multitech's support, but if you had been dealing with another
brand of modem, the register you needed to set might also have been
documented, which would have saved you a lot of grief.

--

Alan Groupe        | Data: (603) 672-9662
2 Great Brook Road | uucp: decvax!ubbs-nh!trashbin!alang