[comp.dcom.modems] Modem Pool Call Costing/Charging

vances@xenitec.on.ca (Vance Shipley) (10/13/90)

In article <9010110703.AA13454@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MATHAIM@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU (Mathew Mathai) writes:
>We at Virginia Tech currently have an inbound modem pool that is
>connected to an IBM/ROLM 9751 CBX that provides access to our systems to
>off campus users. This service is currently being offered free of charge.
.
.
>Users dial a PILOT number to access the group of DID numbers tied to
>the modem pool.  (Each inpool modem has a DID number assigned to it, to
>facilitate off-net testing of the individual modem). Once connected to the
>modem, the user can place a data call across the CBX network to reach
>a particular resource.
>
>In order to keep up with upgrade/maintenance costs incurred on the modem
>pool equipment, I have been asked to investigate different options that
>would allow us to implement means to charge users for this service.

If you have a call accounting system on your PBX use it.  The one problem you
would have though is identifying who was calling in.  One way would be to use
CLID (Calling Line IDentification) if it is available and if your PBX and call
accounting system supports it (pause for plug; SwitchView does, our product).
Another is to have users enter a charge code after accessing the pool and
before dialing their destination.  This plan is more accurate than CLID based
costing and has the added feature of validation.  Codes entered that are not
recognized are rejected and the call can not proceed. This again assumes that
your PBX and call accounting system support this but it's quite likely that
they do.

Vance Shipley
SwitchView - The Linton Tecgnology Group
(519)746-4460
vances@ltg.on.ca