[comp.dcom.modems] New HST's with V.32/V.42?

astlc@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (Tom Claydon) (10/15/90)

  A friend of mine recently bought a new U.S. Robotics HST 14.4K modem,
and it came with BOTH the V.32 & V.42 chips installed. Since I'll be
purchasing a new 14.4K HST next month as part of the Sysop Deal from
U.S. Robotics, I was wondering: will both the V.32 & V.42 chips be installed
in ALL the new HST's from here on?

  Thanks...

--
Tom Claydon, Electronics Tech.
University of Alaska, Anchorage

"Where insanity isn't a disease...it's a way of life!"

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (10/15/90)

astlc@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (Tom Claydon) writes:

>  A friend of mine recently bought a new U.S. Robotics HST 14.4K modem,
>and it came with BOTH the V.32 & V.42 chips installed. Since I'll be
>purchasing a new 14.4K HST next month as part of the Sysop Deal from
>U.S. Robotics, I was wondering: will both the V.32 & V.42 chips be installed
>in ALL the new HST's from here on?

I assume he bought a dual standard - in which case yes.

If he bought a normal HST (for around $495) then it was a mistake on
USR's part.

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar!larry@ndmath.math.nd.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

jjj@blob.hut.fi (Joni Jaakko J{rvenkyl{) (10/15/90)

In article <1990Oct14.234721.1@acad2.anc.alaska.edu> astlc@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (Tom Claydon) writes:
>and it came with BOTH the V.32 & V.42 chips installed. Since I'll be
>U.S. Robotics, I was wondering: will both the V.32 & V.42 chips be installed
>in ALL the new HST's from here on?

Again:

V.42 (or V.42bis) has nothing to do with V.32, which is an actual modulation
scheme (modem protocol/standard/callitwhateveryoulike).

V.32 comes only in USR models Courier V.32 and Dual Standard (the latter
holds both HST and V.32 as you probably already know).

V.42 is an error correcting protocol, and V.42bis a data compression
algorithm which is to be ran on top of the V.42. All the new USR high speed
modems (HST, V.32, HST Dual Standard) now come with V.42 and V.42bis.

--
jjj@niksula.hut.fi
jjj@otax.tky.hut.fi

fire me, fire					until you die