[comp.dcom.modems] Telebits not talking to 2400 baud modems

tnixon@hayes.uucp (Toby Nixon) (10/18/90)

In article <3401@idunno.Princeton.EDU>, vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
(D. W. James) writes:

> Princeton has a bank of 4 Telebit T2500's to service its UUCP
> connections.  A few of those are 2400 baud no-name modems that
> seem to be happy connecting to just about any other 2400 baud
> modem, but that die when they try to connect to the Telebits.
> protocals, then finally starts sending a 2400 carrier.  At that
> point my modem starts to handshake, then hangs up abruptly.

It's possible that the modems on the host side have their S7
registers set to a lower-than-normal value, providing only a limited
time to establish a connection before hanging up.  It's also
conceivable that the host itself allows only a certain amount of
time between detecting an incoming call (RING) and DCD going high,
or it drops DTR and gives up.  In either case, it's necessary to
take action on the host side to alleviate the problem.

Have you tried forcing your T2500 to V.22bis/2400-only mode and
connecting?  Does it work?

	-- Toby

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer   | Voice:   +1-404-449-8791  AT&T:  !tnixon
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc.| Fax:     +1-404-447-0178  CIS: 70271,404
P.O. Box 105203                  | UUCP: uunet!hayes!tnixon  MCI:  267-0805
Atlanta, Georgia  30348  USA     | Internet:      hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net

jmc@teqsoft.UUCP (Jack Cloninger) (10/18/90)

vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) writes:

>Princeton has a bank of 4 Telebit T2500's to service its UUCP
>connections.  A few of those are 2400 baud no-name modems that
>seem to be happy connecting to just about any other 2400 baud
>modem, but that die when they try to connect to the Telebits.

Did you try setting S-register 92 = 1 in the T2500?  The proper
command is:
     ATS92=1&W
This is the "Answering Sequence Selection" register.  Setting it
to '1' will cause the PEP tones to be sent out last.  Some of the
low speed modems are disturbed by PEP tones.  We use this config-
uration and it works fine.  It does not disturb PEP to PEP
connections, since the Telebits are not disturbed by the other
modem tones.

I hope this helps.

Jack
--
Jack Cloninger, TeqSoft, 112 US Highway 1, Tequesta, FL 33469    B-)
...uunet!comtst!teqsoft!jmc   Phone: 407-747-7163  Fax: 407-747-0354

kam@dlogics.COM (Kevin Mitchell) (10/18/90)

In article <3401@idunno.Princeton.EDU>, vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) writes:
> What happens is that my (for example) modem calls in, the Telebit
> goes through its attempts to connect using PEP and some other
> protocals, then finally starts sending a 2400 carrier.  At that
> point my modem starts to handshake, then hangs up abruptly.  We
> watched the telebits today: the carrier detect light comes on on
> them, but by that time my modem has disconnected.  The CD light on
> my machine never comes on, but the recieve data light flashes.

Try telling your modem to wait longer for carrier. Also, setting
voice detection (X6 on USR modems) causes the modem to hang up immediately
when it hears the high speed protocol stuff.

--
Kevin A. Mitchell                (312) 266-4485
Datalogics, Inc                  Internet: kam@dlogics.UUCP