[comp.dcom.modems] $229. V.42 bis w/MNP-5 Is this believable?

vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) (10/22/90)

	I came across someone today selling Zoom v.42 bis with MNP5
modems for $229.  I'll be seeing them again in a few weeks.  Can this
be for real, or am I missing something here?  Sure, the modem is really
only doing 2400, but it should get 9600 effective, shouldn't it?

Bewildered...
--
Later Y'all,  Vnend                       Ignorance is the mother of adventure.
      Mail?  Send to:vnend@phoenix.princeton.edu or vnend@pucc.bitnet

In article <3493@idunno.Princeton.EDU> vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) writes:

> 	I came across someone today selling Zoom v.42 bis with MNP5
> modems for $229.  I'll be seeing them again in a few weeks.  Can this
> be for real, or am I missing something here?  Sure, the modem is really
> only doing 2400, but it should get 9600 effective, shouldn't it?

And your car gets 100 miles to the gallon as long as it's going down hill, eh?

While such a modem might get 4X performance under certain conditions, it isn't
going to happen all the time is it?  Good compression schemes seem to manage
about 50% reduction on real text, doing it on the fly you'll be lucky to do
this well.  While it's probably better than no v.42, personally I'd get my
first 4X by getting a real 9600 BPS modem, and then add the v.42 for gravy.