[comp.dcom.modems] USR Dual Standard questions

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Richard L. Carreiro) (10/22/90)

I'm thisclose to getting a USR Dual Standard (for $879 - is that
a decent price?).  Some questions first, though:

1) does it have a standard modular phone jack on it, or do I have to
rig something up?

2) At what baud rate do I set my terminal program?  Can the terminal
   program be left at the same baud rate all the time, and the modem will
   simply buffer up stuff (if it's connected at a slower rate) and then
   send high-speed batches to my terminal?  (Or is this all explained in the
   modem docs?)

3) If I am connected to another USR, and I want to do a file transfer, do
   I have to use a protocol (like ZMODEM or something), or can I just do
   a raw transfer and the modems' built-in error checking will guarantee
   no errors?

4) Will the USR connect to boring old things like Hayes-compatible 2400
   baud modems and stuff like that?

5) Assuming I've connected to another MNP 5 modem (of whatever baud
   rate), should I turn off modem compression when I am transferring
   a compressed file?

Any other things you think I should know, feel free to send them along as
well.  Thanks in advance for your help!

--
Rich Carreiro                                    The "War on Drugs"
ARPA: rlcarr@athena.mit.edu                      is merely a smokescreen for

mjs@cbnews.att.com (martin.j.shannon) (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct22.163151.16067@athena.mit.edu>, rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Richard L. Carreiro) writes:
> I'm thisclose to getting a USR Dual Standard (for $879 - is that
> a decent price?).  Some questions first, though:

Yes, that's a decent price.  I paid a hair under "list" for mine (long
story...).

> 1) does it have a standard modular phone jack on it, or do I have to
> rig something up?

It has 2 modular jacks on it: one goes to the telephone line, and the
other is used if you also want a telephone on that line.

> 2) At what baud rate do I set my terminal program?

Any baud rate you like.  As with most modems that recognize the "AT"
command set, it does autobauding from the "AT" characters.

>  Can the terminal
>    program be left at the same baud rate all the time, and the modem will
>    simply buffer up stuff (if it's connected at a slower rate) and then
>    send high-speed batches to my terminal?

Mostly, but I don't recommend that mode of operation (for various
reasons).

>  (Or is this all explained in the
>    modem docs?)

Yes, it is explained in the manual.

> 3) If I am connected to another USR, and I want to do a file transfer, do
>    I have to use a protocol (like ZMODEM or something), or can I just do
>    a raw transfer and the modems' built-in error checking will guarantee
>    no errors?

As with all modems, you want a path from disk to disk that is error
free.  The modems will only provide error free paths from serial port
to serial port.  If your serial port can't keep up with the bandwidth,
and drops characters, for instance, all the error checking in the world
(done by the modems) won't detect or correct that problem.  Use a
protocol (some are much better than others; ZMODEM was designed to be
better than most...).

> 4) Will the USR connect to boring old things like Hayes-compatible 2400
>    baud modems and stuff like that?

Yes, it connects to any modem correctly implementing any of the
protocols that the DS supports.  Off the top of my head, that includes:
V.21, V.22bis, V.32, HST14400, Bell103, Bell212A.  Probably 1 or 2
more, as well.

> 5) Assuming I've connected to another MNP 5 modem (of whatever baud
>    rate), should I turn off modem compression when I am transferring
>    a compressed file?

In general, you should.  What will happen if you don't is that the
modems will attempt to compress the already compressed file, resulting
in a negative compression rate for the modem compression -- i.e., the
modems will transfer *more* characters than there are in the file.

> Any other things you think I should know, feel free to send them along as
> well.  Thanks in advance for your help!

See my recent myriad of posts on 'e' protocol of uucp if you're going
to be using this modem with a UNIX* system.

* - UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T.
--
Marty Shannon; AT&T Bell Labs; Liberty Corner, NJ, USA
(Affiliation is given for identification only: