[comp.dcom.modems] best type of modem

Dale.Signal@p0.f250.n772.z3.actrix.co.nz (Dale Signal) (10/24/90)

AREA:MODEMS
please anyone who knows about modems and the best to buy (cheapish as i
can't afford to fancy a one)

--
Dale Signal - via FidoNet node 3:771/170
Domain: Dale.Signal@p0.f250.n772.z3.actrix.co.nz

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (10/29/90)

In a message to All on Oct 24, Dale Signal (Dale.Signal@p0.f250.n772.z3.actrix.co.nz ) wrote:

 >please anyone who knows about modems and the best to buy (cheapish as
 >i can't afford to fancy a one)

 ... then I'm afraid that you can't afford a good one, either.

   In nearly ten years of searching, I haven't found a good, inexpensive
modem. There are a lot of brands out there and I can't say for sure that
they're all trash, but every time I decide that a particular brand of modem is
good I am inundated with returned items of that brand.

   In my humble experience, the only 2400 that never disappoints is the Hayes
Smartmodem. (Yes, that's the brand I own). 9600s rarely disappoint, but
usually that's because the buyer is so overwhelmed by 9600+ bps performance
that data quality at 2400 and 1200 seems irrelevant.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Bud 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!