[comp.dcom.modems] Can we back up a sec?

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (10/20/90)

   I noted with interest Larry Snyder's question about UUCP throughput over
V.32 as compared to PEP, and am disappointed in the answers I've seen so far.
One person explained that the Telebit used spoofing... which I'm sure Larry
knows.

   Let me re-pose the question, clarified with respect to the technical
background and specifics that I'd like to see (and I'm sure Larry would, too).

   I know full well that the Telebit gets its speed from the spoofing, but
that was necessary because of PEP's unidirectional transmission nature.
Spoofing adds nothing to windowed UUCP-g performance over a v.22bis (2400 bps)
connection because (a) the ACK packets can be sent back without disturbing the
flow of the data packets and (b) a 7-packet window takes two seconds to
transmit at 2400 bps, giving the receiver plenty of time to ACK the oldest
packet and allow the transmitter to continue non-stop.

   The question at hand is whether the full-duplex nature of V.32 extends this
situation to 9600 bps. I know that the data packets need not be interrupted
to send ACKs, but even a 7-packet window would take less than half a second to
transmit at 9600 bps; it's entirely possible that the ACK packets might not
arrive before the pending window reaches its limit, causing the transmitter to
pause. This, of course, would prevent you from getting the maximum
theoretically possible throughput (1100-1200 CPS on V.32, using synchronous
framing a la MNP3 or V.42).

   Explicitly: Does anyone out there have throughput figures for UUCP
protocols between two well-tuned and reasonably lightly loaded machines over
a V.32 link?

   Thank you, and many apologies to those who are bored or even insulted by
the great lenghts to which I've gone to ask a trivial question.

   Geoff
 --
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards

In article <1288.27204357@zswamp.fidonet.org> root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:

>    I noted with interest Larry Snyder's question about UUCP throughput over
> V.32 as compared to PEP, and am disappointed in the answers I've seen so far.
> One person explained that the Telebit used spoofing... which I'm sure Larry
> knows.
>
>    The question at hand is whether the full-duplex nature of V.32 extends this
> situation to 9600 bps. I know that the data packets need not be interrupted
> to send ACKs, but even a 7-packet window would take less than half a second to
> transmit at 9600 bps; it's entirely possible that the ACK packets might not
> arrive before the pending window reaches its limit, causing the transmitter to
> pause. This, of course, would prevent you from getting the maximum
> theoretically possible throughput (1100-1200 CPS on V.32, using synchronous
> framing a la MNP3 or V.42).
>
>    Explicitly: Does anyone out there have throughput figures for UUCP
> protocols between two well-tuned and reasonably lightly loaded machines over
> a V.32 link?

I thought I covered this, but if you want some sample numbers, I have one
connection that is currently V.32 when we call them and PEP when they call
us... (An interesting role reversal for a Telebit fan, but their Trailblazer
doesn't seem to answer the phone!)

Mode	Files	Characters	Seconds	C/Sec	B/S	Thruput (.55 compression)
PEP	21	5858185		4700	1246.4	12460	22.5 KB/S
V.32	59	14904357	19764	754.11	7540	13.5 KB/S

All data was compressed news batches, transfers of less than 100K were omitted to
mimimize skew due to overhead and poor timing resolution.  All data transfers
were in the same direction, from my system to the other system.

Note that these numbers aren't too surprising, the 7500 char/sec is about
what you'd get one a direct connect at 9600 baud, the uucp "g" protocol
simply doesn't drive the wire to 100% even under the best of conditions.

Increasing window size or packet size, or changing protocols would probably
help the V.32 get closer to 9600 BPS, but wouldn't do much for the the PEP
mode unless the protocol was adaptable to PEP packetizing charactersitics.
Protocol experiments are difficult and don't neccesarily help the average
guy with a binary license.

news@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) (10/25/90)

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:

> The question at hand is whether the full-duplex nature of V.32 extends this
> situation to 9600 bps.  I know that the data packets need not be interrupted
> to send ACKs, but even a 7-packet window would take less than half a second
> to transmit at 9600 bps; it's entirely possible that the ACK packets might
> not arrive before the pending window reaches its limit, causing the
> transmitter to pause.  This, of course, would prevent you from getting the
> maximum theoretically possible throughput (1100-1200 CPS on V.32, using
> synchronous framing a la MNP3 or V.42).

I use V.32 and PEP for many connects a day.  I normally use a T2500, but have
also used Intel's new 9600EX (damn nice modem, and damn inexpensive, BTW).  A
local V.32 connect is as fast as PEP.  A long distance V.32 connect is
significantly slower.  I.e., local V.32 gets over 1,000 cps, while a looong
distance one (i.e., Oregon to Africa) gets 550 cps.

What I want is a Xenix uucico with a bigger window, say 20 or 30.

If you are dealing with a *lot* of mail as I do, O(10^2) messages per session,
then a nice trick such as batched and compressed mail using fake BSMTP is the
biggest win.  Uucp-g's inter-file delays are absolutely disgusting, PEP, V.32,
or whatever.

--
..!{uunet,qiclab,intelhf}!m2xenix!news

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (10/26/90)

In a message to All on Oct 24, George Robbins (grr@cbmvax.commodore.com )
wrote:

 >Mode    Files   Characters      Seconds C/Sec
 >PEP     21      5858185         4700    1246.4
 >V.32    59      14904357        19764   754.11

   Wonderful. Zackly what I needed.

 >Note that these numbers aren't too surprising, the 7500 char/sec
 >is about what you'd get one a direct connect at 9600 baud,

   Don't forget that the modems will have been using a synchronous framing
technique (most likely MNP3 plus MNP4 for a couple of T2500s under V.32),
which brings the 100% mark close to 1200 CPS (as opposed to 960 CPS for async
framing over a 9600 bps null modem). If you take that into consideration, the
750 CPS rating is disappointing.

 >Increasing window size or packet size, or changing protocols

   I presume that you were using standard 64-byte packets; what window size
were you using (7, 3, or 1)?

   Thanks for your reply!

 >help the V.32 get closer to 9600 BPS, but wouldn't do much
 >for the the PEP
 >mode unless the protocol was adaptable to PEP packetizing
 >charactersitics.

   Hmm, the 'e' protocol should work fine over a PEP modem *if* you are sure
that your async connection to the TB is absolutely error-proof. It might even
beat 'g' protocol spoofing performance...

 >Protocol experiments are difficult and don't neccesarily
 >help the average guy with a binary license.

   Sad but all too true.

Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Bud 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (10/28/90)

In a message to All on Oct 25, Randy Bush (news@m2xenix.psg.com ) wrote:

 >A local V.32 connect is as fast as PEP.  A long distance V.32 connect is
 >significantly slower.  I.e., local V.32 gets over 1,000 cps, while a
 >looong distance one (i.e., Oregon to Africa) gets 550 cps.

   Nifty.

 >What I want is a Xenix uucico with a bigger window, say 20 or 30.

   Well, that excludes 'g', eh?

 >Uucp-g's inter-file delays are absolutely disgusting,
 >PEP, V.32, or whatever.

   I've also found that when talking to a 3b2/310 running SysV R3.1.1... I
finally found a 'mini' that's slower than my XT!

Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553

In article <1990Oct25.033248.28581@m2xenix.psg.com> news@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) writes:
> root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:
>
> > The question at hand is whether the full-duplex nature of V.32 extends this
> > situation to 9600 bps.
>
> I use V.32 and PEP for many connects a day.  I normally use a T2500, but have
> also used Intel's new 9600EX (damn nice modem, and damn inexpensive, BTW).  A
> local V.32 connect is as fast as PEP.  A long distance V.32 connect is
> significantly slower.  I.e., local V.32 gets over 1,000 cps, while a looong
> distance one (i.e., Oregon to Africa) gets 550 cps.

I find this quite confusing and contrary to my own experience.  Local PEP calls
are almost always faster than V.32, while long distance/international PEP calls
do sometimes dip below the rates expected for 9600 BPS (i.e. V.32) connection.

The only way that V.32 can "slow down" is via repeated retraining, or posibly
fallback to 4800 BPS.

The following seem to be the three killers of telebit thruput (though I'd rather
lose thruput than take a bit hit on call completion/reliability).

1) International Calls - Europe, Hong Kong, etc...
2) Systems with T1000's or Trailblazers locked at 9600 BPS.
3) Highly loaded systems that can't keep up with the modems.

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (10/29/90)

George Robbins (grr@cbmvax.commodore.com ) wrote:

 >The only way that V.32 can "slow down" is via repeated retraining, or posibly
 >fallback to 4800 BPS.

   Not if you're using UUCP-g protocol, in which case a performance limiting
factor is how long it takes to transport the packets; since a 7*64 byte packet
takes about half a second or less at 9600+ bps, it's possible that the
transmitter might stop while waiting for the ACK on the oldest packet before
continuing. This isn't a problem with UUCP-spoofed PEP, but might provide a
real pain in the proverbial posterior when you're on a LD connection that's
carried half a continent north on wireline, piped to microwave for a few
hundred miles, uplink to sattelite to cross the continent, and the same (in
reverse) on the other coast. Now the ACK packet must do the same on the return
path... this could easily push the response time from, say, .5 seconds to .6;
if that .1-second pause happens after every packet, you're spending more time
waiting for ACKs than actually transmitting, hence very low efficiency
figures.

DISCLAIMER: This is speculation. I know not of the technology, nor the
real-life figures. I go into this only because Mr. Robbins seems to be under
the impression that V.32 throughput should be the same at all times because of
the fixed-baud carrier. That may be valid for XMODEM, but it sure ain't for
UUCP-g!

Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553