[comp.dcom.modems] Help! Modem problems.

esp17020@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/03/90)

A question for all the modem gurus out there:
	I'm checking out a used Hayes V-series Smartmodem 9600 V.42 for a
friend who is interested in purchasing it.  The problem is that I'm having
some difficulties getting the modem to connect.  I don't know whether the
problem is a malfunction on the part of the modem or just an incorrect
configuration, because I know very little about >2400 baud modems and I don't
have any documentation for this beastie.  I'm using Procomm Plus on a PC
configured for 9600 8N1.  This seems to work at 9600 bps in command mode
but when I connect to a local BBS or to a UNIX dialup I receive
a CONNECT 9600 but the high speed (HS) shuts off and I get only a 2400 bps
connection.  I'm still able to use the connection, though, with 9600 set on
my terminal.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean
esp17020@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

tnixon@hayes.uucp (Toby Nixon) (10/04/90)

In article <49000002@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, esp17020@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
writes:

> A question for all the modem gurus out there:
> 	I'm checking out a used Hayes V-series Smartmodem 9600 V.42 for a
> friend who is interested in purchasing it.  The problem is that I'm having
> some difficulties getting the modem to connect.  I don't know whether the

The Hayes VSM9600 uses a proprietary fast turnaround ping-pong
modulation at 9600bps, which is only compatible with other Hayes
VSM9600s.  Unless you're calling one of these, it will connect at
2400 maximum.  If you'd like a list of the more than 400 BBSes
around the country that support VSM9600 modulation, call the Online
with Hayes BBS at 1-800-US-HAYES (800-874-2937) or 404-446-6336.  By
the way, the Online with Hayes BBS has 16 lines, all of which have
modems which are compatible with the one you're testing (and V.32,
too).

	-- Toby

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer     Fax:    +1-404-441-1213  Telex: 6502670805
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc.  Voice:  +1-404-449-8791  CIS:    70271,404
Norcross, Georgia, USA             BBS:    +1-404-446-6336  MCI:       TNIXON
                                   Telemail: T.NIXON/HAYES  AT&T:     !tnixon
UUCP:   ...!uunet!hayes!tnixon     Internet:        hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net
MHS:    C=US / AD=ATTMAIL / PN=TOBY_L_NIXON / DD=TNIXON

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (10/04/90)

 > From: esp17020@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
 >
 > [with a Hayes V-Series Smartmodem 9600]
 >
 > [...] I receive a CONNECT 9600 but the high speed (HS) shuts off
 > and I get only a 2400 bps connection.  I'm still able to use the
 > connection, though, with 9600 set on my terminal.

   Welcome to the confusing world of Hayes V-Series response codes. (OK, Hayes
aren't the only perpetrators).

   First of all, 9600+ bps modems (and 2400s with V.42 or just MNP) are
capable of talking to terminals at one speed while talking to another modem at
another speed. In this case, your Hayes V-9600 has made a 2400 bps connect,
but has decided to report CONNECT 9600 in order to keep the terminal program
(which may be watching the number after the word "CONNECT") at 9600 bps. I'll
bet that, if you look carefully and the software doesn't hide it, the CONNECT
9600 is followed by a message like CARRIER 2400... that last bit tells you
what the real conenct speed is but doesn't trip up software that isn't looking
for the code word "CARRIER".

   DISCLAIMER: I've seen modems that do this; I have been told that the Hayes
V-Series works similarly. I don't own a Hayes V-Anything. If you know better,
feel free to correct me.
 --
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!geoff | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: geoff@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939               | (519) 741-9553
"Experience talks... and talks... and talks..."

esp17020@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/06/90)

Wow, straight from the source!  Thanks for the great information.  Your time
and attention is much appreciated!

Thanks again.

Sean Parham
esp17020@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois

tnixon@hayes.uucp (Toby Nixon) (10/07/90)

In article <2522.270AA9F4@zswamp.fidonet.org>,
root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:

> (which may be watching the number after the word "CONNECT") at 9600 bps. I'll
> bet that, if you look carefully and the software doesn't hide it, the CONNECT
> 9600 is followed by a message like CARRIER 2400... that last bit tells you
> what the real conenct speed is but doesn't trip up software that isn't looking
> for the code word "CARRIER".

Actually, if you enable Extended Unlimited Result Codes in a Hayes
V-series modem (W1 command), you'll get three result codes:

	CARRIER <speed>
	PROTOCOL: <name>
	CONNECT <speed>

In the Ultra 96, we also introduced the S95 register to allow
individual control of result codes that appear during connection
establishment.  One of these (S95=32) is

	COMPRESSION: <type>

and appears between the PROTOCOL and CONNECT result codes when
enabled.

Yes, there's lots of information!  And it gets worse when you're
using X.25!

	-- Toby

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer     Fax:    +1-404-441-1213  AT&T:     !tnixon

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (10/08/90)

In article <1804@hayes.uucp> tnixon@hayes.uucp (Toby Nixon) writes:

> Actually, if you enable Extended Unlimited Result Codes in a Hayes
> V-series modem (W1 command), you'll get three result codes:

>	PROTOCOL: <name>

Ah yes, the infamous PROTOCOL: string.  In the V-series, the word
ERROR-CONTROL was not present, but not from the Ultra.
I have seen several programs (including at least one of mine :-)
see the ERROR part of it as, well, you guessed the rest. :-(

OK, so maybe it's my fault too, but I think a robust implementation
would have avoided the use of the string "ERROR" in any non-error
message, as indeed was the case with the V series -- at least on the
ones I have access to.  It's true that you have to enable W1 to
get it, but still....

--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

laird@slum.MV.COM (Laird Heal) (10/30/90)

In article <49000002@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> esp17020@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>	I'm checking out a used Hayes V-series Smartmodem 9600 V.42 for a
>friend who is interested in purchasing it.  The problem is that I'm having
>some difficulties getting the modem to connect.

My experience is that you were lucky to connect at 2400.  The Hayes V-series
(not Ultra) apparently are most comfortable connecting to each other; those
who use them for this will usually use nothing else, too!

--

Laird Heal	laird@slum.MV.COM	The world is my office.
(Salem, NH)	+1 603 898 1406<-----I charge for opinions, though.