[comp.dcom.modems] Wanted: Advise on a modem for my PC.

njm@cel (10/23/90)

I'm in the market for a modem capable of the following speeds / modulation /
compression modes: v21, v22, v22bis, v32, v42, MNP 5.  For space reasons I would
prefer to be able to fit the modem inside my PC-AT.  Having looked through
various brochures, I like the look of the Dowty Mayze 96 PC.

(Now the million $ questions. ;-))

  Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, of this modem?

  Are there similar but better modems available?

  Are there any very strong reasons for not getting an internal modem?

Thanks in advance,
		  Nick.
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Name:   Nick Mann.               E-Mail: nmann@cel.co.uk  nmann@cel.uucp
V-Mail: +44 442 230000 ext 3537           ..!{mcvax,ukc,uunet}!cel!nmann

"Sorry to interrupt the festivities", said Hal, "but we have a problem."
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (10/23/90)

In article <6758@suns401.cel.co.uk> njm@cel.uucp () writes:

> I'm in the market for a modem capable of the following speeds / modulation /
> compression modes: v21, v22, v22bis, v32, v42, MNP 5.

Why MNP 5 ?  Or more to the point, why don't you specify V.42bis ?
Specifying  MNP 5 rather than V.42bis is probably a mistake.  Specifying
both might be reasonable if you absolutely need compatibility, though.

>  Are there similar but better modems available?

The one which comes to mind is the Hayes Ultra which *does* have V.42bis
as well.

>  Are there any very strong reasons for not getting an internal modem?

Yes.  Many.  They are a mistake.
1) it can be damn near impossible to debug difficult connexions without
   the blinkenlights
2) Their serial interface is builtin, so
	2a) You are at the mercy of whatever serial chips, etc they use,
	    and its compatibility with the software you're driving it with.
	2b) It's a "dumb" serial interface, so you lose significant amounts
	    of CPU power if you're driving it at the kind of speeds that
	    V.42bis over V.32 can give you.
	2c) It uses up a whole interrupt by itself which you will curse
	    when you come to want to add more peripherals to the PC.

2b is probably only important if you are multitasking, and together with
2c, only a disadvantage if you ever exercise the option of getting
an intelligent serial card, and I suppose that's normally only an option
for multiuser PC applications.  But 1) is VERY important.  Don't underestimate
it.

--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct23.063532.21901@robobar.co.uk> ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
   In article <6758@suns401.cel.co.uk> njm@cel.uucp () writes:
       Are there any very strong reasons for not getting an internal
       modem?

   Yes.  Many.  They are a mistake.

Your list is a good one.  But if a laptop/portable user doesn't want
to lug around the extra box, cabling, and power supply brick, then the
convenience of an internal modem may become a more important factor.

For a machine that sits on a desk, get a good serial interface card
and a separate modem.  For a machine that hangs from a shoulder, an
internal may make sense.

vernon@hpcvaac.cv.hp.com (Vernon King) (10/24/90)

1.)Modems tend to run hot.
2.)Cannot share modem with not pc equipment.
3.)No lights to troubleshoot with.
4.)No way to hook up a serial analyzer.
5.)Cannot be easily removed and returned after testing.
6.)You are using a bus interface rather than a choice of serial boards.

                                         Vernon

vernon@hpcvaac.cv.hp.com (Vernon King) (10/24/90)

Sorry for my previous posting. The following was dropped from the top of the
list.

The following are six good reasons for using external modems.

                            Sorry folks New to vi
                            Vernon

tnixon@hayes.uucp (Toby Nixon) (10/24/90)

In article <6758@suns401.cel.co.uk>, njm@cel writes:

>   Are there any very strong reasons for not getting an internal modem?

Particularly with high-end V.32/V.42bis modems, you'll find that in
some cases the modem costs as much or more than your PC is worth!
If you ever decide to upgrade to another system, you must consider
that if you have an internal modem, you'll lose the investment in
the modem unless you restrict your upgrade choices to systems with
the same bus structure.  In your case, you'd be stuck upgrading only
to ISA (PC AT) bus systems; Microchannel PCs, Macs, Suns, and just
about everything else would mean you'd have to shelve the modem or
try to sell it.  This is the single strongest reason I have for
preferring external modems.

Others:  I like seeing the lights to diagnose problems.  I like
being able to shut the modem off, if my software breaks and I don't
have a quick way to get off-line.  I don't like putting a major
power draw and source of heat inside my PC unnecessarily.  I don't
like adding yet another way for lightning to get into my PC (the
phone cable).  I don't like to waste a slot.  I don't like
dedicating a COM port address to a single device, when I can use an
A/B/C/D switch externally to switch between my modem and other
devices.  I like to be able to swap modems without opening up the
case of my PC.

There are certain advantages to internal modems (don't need a cable;
harder to steal; don't take up a wall outlet or spot on your power
bus; don't need to turn off their power separately), but,
personally, I think the advantages of an external far outweigh the
internal.

And, of course, if you buy an external, you can give consideration
to the Hayes Ultra 96!  :-)

	-- Toby

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

pete@Octopus.COM (Pete Holzmann) (10/24/90)

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
>In article <6758@suns401.cel.co.uk> njm@cel.uucp () writes:
>>  Are there any very strong reasons for not getting an internal modem?
>
>Yes.  Many.  They are a mistake.

>1) it can be damn near impossible to debug difficult connexions without
>   the blinkenlights

But on a PC, there are freebie TSR programs available that simulate
the lights!

>2) Their serial interface is builtin, so
>	2a) You are at the mercy of whatever serial chips, etc they use,
>	    and its compatibility with the software you're driving it with.
>	2b) [Restating the same thing]

True! Although (2) below sometimes eliminates this problem. Seems to depend
on how the modem hardware is set up.

On the other hand, there are a few significant advantages to internal
modems, in certain situations:

(1) Cabling is rather easy [nice for novice users]
(2) [On certain modems] No hassles about hardware handshaking. The modem
    *knows* whether or not your program has grabbed the data. If you have a
    high-speed modem with end-to-end flow control, this completely eliminates
    the need for a fancy  serial chip.
(3) [Most important of all, if it applies] There are no power supply hassles.
    Your PC's power takes care of the modem as well. The nicest thing about
    a laptop is that it has a built-in UPS! Add an internal modem and you
    have a PC that won't go off-line when the power goes out. You also won't
    be stuck when you travel overseas. Rather nice.

Pete
--
Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises   |(if you're a techie Christian & are
19611 La Mar Ct., Cupertino, CA 95014 |interested in helping w/ the Great

cec@cup.portal.com (Cerafin E Castillo) (10/25/90)

	Nick,
		I would have to agree with all of the negative
	reponses on internal PC-modems.  I'd like to add one more
	gripe--the lack of on-board non-volatile memory.  This only
	gets worse in the following situations:

	1)	The modem is ONLY dip-switch settable.

	2)	the modem is software programmable.

	If you have dip-switches and need to re-configure your modem
	for some modulation, flow control, or feature change, you're
	stuck taking your PC apart to get at the dip-switches.

	If your modem is software programmable such as the TELEBIT modems,
	They so populate the PC modems that there is no room left for
	non-volatile memory to save the modem configuration.  This means
	re-initializing the modem on boot each time.  Easy for software,
	but not so easy if this means your UUCP system dies every night
 	of a power glitch which erases the modem.

	If you are considering an external modems with all the goodies
	you've mentioned, give the TELEBIT T2500 or T1500 a try.  V.32
	with 2400/1200/300, V.21/V.23, V.42/V.42bis, MNP 4/5, UUCP-
	Kermit-Xmodem-Ymodem Protocol Support in PEP AND V.32(!!! :-),
	also TELEBIT PEP modulation for 18,031 bps data rates.

	Give me a call if you would like more info...

Cerafin E. Castillo                       ||      //\\  ||\\  ||
Network Consultant                        ||     //__\\ || \\ ||  Los Altos
Los Altos Networks                        ||    // ---\\||  \\||  Networks
340 Second St. #6                         ||___//      \||   \\|
Los Altos, CA  94022
(415) 941-8031      UUCP:     {apple,sun,uunet}!portal!cup.portal.com!cec
                 NTERNET:     cec@cup.portal.com

                      "...No hay mal que por bien no venga..."
=

cedman@lynx.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) (10/25/90)

In article <2306@hayes.uucp> tnixon@hayes.uucp (Toby Nixon) writes:
   And, of course, if you buy an external, you can give consideration
   to the Hayes Ultra 96!  :-)
This modem had been mentioned a few times in recent posts. Can someone
give a summary of the technical specs and a good street price ?

	Carl Edman

Theorectial Physicist,N.:A physicist whose   | Send mail
existence is postulated, to make the numbers |  to
balance but who is never actually observed   | cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu
in the laboratory.                           | edmanc@uciph0.ps.uci.edu

tnixon@hayes.uucp (Toby Nixon) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.142824.23134@Octopus.COM>, pete@Octopus.COM
(Pete Holzmann) writes:

>>1) it can be damn near impossible to debug difficult connexions without
>>   the blinkenlights
>
> But on a PC, there are freebie TSR programs available that simulate
> the lights!

None of these programs do a very good job.  All they can do is
simulate the "lights" based on the status registers in the 8250 --
and then not all of them!  There's no way they can show you the
equivalent of the HS, AA, and OH lights.  They CAN show you CD, TR,
and MR, and to some extent RD and SD, but they can't show you if MR
is blinking because the modem has been placed into remote loopback
mode, etc.  It just isn't the same.

	-- Toby

--

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (10/26/90)

In a message to All on Oct 24, Pete Holzmann (pete@Octopus.COM ) wrote:

>1) it can be damn near impossible to debug difficult connexions without
>   the blinkenlights
 >But on a PC, there are freebie TSR programs available that
 >simulate the lights!

 ... assuming that you're running MESS-DOS (or *one* other OS). External
modems' lights are, fortunately, OS-independent. <grin>

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Bud 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (10/27/90)

In article <1990Oct24.142824.23134@Octopus.COM> pete@octopus.COM (Pete Holzmann) writes:
>ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
>>In article <6758@suns401.cel.co.uk> njm@cel.uucp () writes:
>>>  Are there any very strong reasons for not getting an internal modem?

>>Yes.  Many.  They are a mistake.

(reasons 1 & 2 about lights and interface omitted - wjv)

Reason # 3) - (for not using an internal modem)

You are giving that mean old lady, Ma Nature, direct access to your data
bus.

A nice lighting hit anywhere in a mile or so can just zip down the phone
line, into the modem, onto the bus, and from then on anywhere it wants.

In Lightning World, that entertainment center that completely surrounds
Disney World, FL, I have lost 3 modems to lightning.  All external.  The
died fighting to save the cpu.

On the other hand I know a person who had an internal modem.  The lightning
entered his computer through the phone connection, got onto the bus through
the modem, destroyed the modem, the video display card, and the motherboard.
The power supply and the case survived.  He was lucky the printer didn't
get taken out with the lp port on the video card.

And you can always keep lightning out of the computer if you spend enough
money.   The only way I can see to keep it out when connected to phone
lines would be some units with opto-isolation.  Are those made.?

An interesting sidenote.   Most mfrs. will not warrant their equipment for
lightning damage.  However at one time (I don't know if this still is true)
anyone in this area who had a Hayes get hit, sent it back, and typically
Hayes repaired it free of charge.   Sold a LOT of modems that way.  Fix one
or two, and sell 100 more. Last Hayes I bought however was $650 for a 1200
BPS back in 1982.   That was only a couple of hundred more than the first
Hayes modem I had.  300 bps S-100 card, that I think Dennis made in a
garage type operation.

I had a lightning strike about 50' feet away
last year, that tore the bark from a 100' pine tree down to the ground.
My Trailblazer stopped answering the phone.  Actually it answere, and went
thtough all the motions, except picking up the line.  Line relay appeared
to be hung.  TB fixed it but said next time there would be a charge as it
was a non-warranted type problem.

Anyway - the $50 or so premium you pay for an external buys you enough
chips willing to sacrafice their lives for your computer to make it a must
for me.  Think of an external modem as a fairly expensive lightning
supressor. ;-)/2

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (10/29/90)

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) writes:

>A nice lighting hit anywhere in a mile or so can just zip down the phone
>line, into the modem, onto the bus, and from then on anywhere it wants.

>In Lightning World, that entertainment center that completely surrounds
>Disney World, FL, I have lost 3 modems to lightning.  All external.  The
>died fighting to save the cpu.

	Were any of these modems "protected"? A number of power conditioners
(like my C/A Power Director) provide isolation for RJ11 devices as well as
those running off the AC. I would venture that this provides at least as
much protection (though feeding an internal modem) for my CPU as an external
modem.

	Experience has taught that all computer equipment of any value
should have *some* protection against line irregularities, though there's
*no* protection against *all* such irregularities.

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (10/29/90)

In article <1249@bilver.UUCP> bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) writes:
[ suggesting external modem as lightning protection ]

There is certainly something to be said about external modems affording
more protection for the computer in a lightning storm but don't rely on
that to absolutely protect you.  A bad enough strike can still go through
the external modem, down the RS-232 and fry your box.  If a lightining
storm hits your only real protection is to shut down, unplug all equipment
and disconnect the phone from the phone line.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   I support gun control.

vernon@hpcvaac.cv.hp.com (Vernon King) (10/30/90)

   In regards to lightning strikes on phone lines. You may purchase a surge
protector for your phone line. It plugs into an ac socket and you plug your in
and out phone line into it. According to the instruction it shunts high voltage
to the ground plug in the ac socket.

                                   Vernon

linwood@cbnewsk.att.com (linwood.d.johnson) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct28.175259.5849@druid.uucp>, darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:
> In article <1249@bilver.UUCP> bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) writes:
> [ suggesting external modem as lightning protection ]
>
> There is certainly something to be said about external modems affording
> more protection for the computer in a lightning storm but don't rely on
> that to absolutely protect you.  A bad enough strike can still go through
> the external modem, down the RS-232 and fry your box.  If a lightining
> storm hits your only real protection is to shut down, unplug all equipment
> and disconnect the phone from the phone line.

  It is true that a lightning strike can fry a modem and the pc that is
  connected to the modem.  But, they do make equipment for protection
  from that type of thing.  I have never used any of this equipment
  though.  I just thought it was appropriate interject this bit here.

| Linwood D. Johnson       |  linwood@ihlpf.att.com                 |
| Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are mine and mine only.       |
|             Besides, who else would want them?                    |

--