[comp.dcom.modems] MNP5 & autobaud

phil@wubios.wustl.edu (J. Philip Miller) (10/31/90)

We have a bank of Practical Peripherals 2400/MNP modems attached to a Sun
3/260 (ALM-2) running SUN OS 4.1.  We currently have them configured so that
the connection between the modem and the host is always at 9600.  This runs
fairly well when the calling modem is also a PP 2400 MNP, but when the calling
modem is at 1200 then the connection does not appear to honor XON/XOFF
correctly.  I presume that this is because of an interaction between the
buffer in the host modem and flow control between the modem and the host.

Does anyone have hints as to how to configure the modem/host to correctly
handle calling modems of 1200/2400/2400 MNP?

-phil
--
     J. Philip Miller, Professor, Division of Biostatistics, Box 8067
	 Washington University Medical School, St. Louis MO 63110

dan@gacvx2.gac.edu (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct31.015831.12453@wubios.wustl.edu>, phil@wubios.wustl.edu (J. Philip Miller) writes:
> We have a bank of Practical Peripherals 2400/MNP modems attached to a Sun
> 3/260 (ALM-2) running SUN OS 4.1.  We currently have them configured so that
> the connection between the modem and the host is always at 9600.  This runs
> fairly well when the calling modem is also a PP 2400 MNP, but when the calling
> modem is at 1200 then the connection does not appear to honor XON/XOFF
> correctly.  I presume that this is because of an interaction between the
> buffer in the host modem and flow control between the modem and the host.
>
> Does anyone have hints as to how to configure the modem/host to correctly
> handle calling modems of 1200/2400/2400 MNP?

I have a bank of PP 2400 MNP modems.  I have my modems connected to TCP/IP
terminals server.  My "host/modem" interface is set to 9600.  I found I had to
set up hardware flow control, between the terminal server and the modem, to
make this work.  If you need the register setings for the modem, send me some
mail, I have them written down up at my office.  This connection is transparent
enough to do file transfers using xmodem or zmodem, it will even allow EMACS
to be run using the default keybinding of ^S for searching.

--
Dan Boehlke                    Internet:  dan@gac.edu
Campus Network Manager         BITNET:    dan@gacvax1.bitnet