[comp.dcom.modems] Modems with cellular telephones

RAF@CU.NIH.GOV ("Roger Fajman") (10/27/90)

I got no response to this on Telecom Digest, so I thought I would try
Info-Modems Digest.

Some people here would like to use a laptop PC and modem with a celluar
telephone for the purpose of giving demonstrations in various locations
where a modular jack may not be available.  Can anyone recommend
cellular telephones and adapters for this purpose?  We don't have a
particular cellular telephone yet -- it would be purchased specifically
for this.  The phone would be stationary, of course, while the
demonstration is going on, but would be inside various buildings.

A related question is how well various modem technologies work over
cellular telephones.  We are mainly interested in v.22bis (2400 bps)
and V.32 (9600 bps) so that so special modem would be needed at the
other end.  Is it important to have MNP or V.42 error correction?

In article <9010262354.AA04244@alw.nih.gov> RAF@CU.NIH.GOV ("Roger Fajman") writes:
>Some people here would like to use a laptop PC and modem with a celluar
>telephone for the purpose of giving demonstrations in various locations
>where a modular jack may not be available.  Can anyone recommend
>cellular telephones and adapters for this purpose?  We don't have a
>particular cellular telephone yet -- it would be purchased specifically
>for this.  The phone would be stationary, of course, while the
>demonstration is going on, but would be inside various buildings.

Just make sure that you get a telephone that transmits at the maximum
wattage (I think this is something like 3 watts).  Most hand-helds will
only transmit at .3 watts and this will have a hard time getting out
of interior rooms of buildings.  The other thing you might want to
get is a good antenna that can be plugged into the phone.

>A related question is how well various modem technologies work over
>cellular telephones.  We are mainly interested in v.22bis (2400 bps)
>and V.32 (9600 bps) so that so special modem would be needed at the
>other end.  Is it important to have MNP or V.42 error correction?

To work with cellular systems you have to have an extremely good error
correction algorithm that is hardened for very bad lines.  Telebit PEP
modems would probably do OK.  V.32 modems would probably die and drop
the line very often (this often happen on standard phone lines). V.22bis
would probably do OK.

For the error correction protocol, MNP-10 sounds like the one you
need, but this is only available on Microcom modems at this time.
I don't know how well v.42 performs on bad lines, but MNP-7 and below
do not handle it very well.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

alan@mq.com (Alan H. Mintz) (10/28/90)

In article <9010262354.AA04244@alw.nih.gov>, RAF@CU.NIH.GOV ("Roger Fajman") writes:
> Some people here would like to use a laptop PC and modem with a celluar
> telephone for the purpose of giving demonstrations in various locations
> where a modular jack may not be available.  Can anyone recommend
> cellular telephones and adapters for this purpose?  We don't have a
> particular cellular telephone yet -- it would be purchased specifically
> for this.  The phone would be stationary, of course, while the
> demonstration is going on, but would be inside various buildings.

Telebit makes a modem called the Cellblazer, specifically designed for
cellular. I believe it operates at a peak rate of 10000 bps (no, not 9600, 10K).
Unfortunately, it's high-speed protocol is not compatible with any other
Telebit product (yet), so you'll have to use 2 Cellblazers. Telebit claims
that they will be offering a firmware upgrade to their rack-mount modems to
support the Cellblazer protocol. They are also planning a new product (T2500LL?)
that, in addition to the T2500 features, will support leased-line connections
and the Cellblazer. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have plans for firmware
upgrade to the Trailblazers (even T2500!!).

There are a number of telephones specifically made with RS232 connections.
I know that Motorola produces such a phone (but I don't have the model
number - it's not here yet).
--
< Alan H. Mintz             | Voice +1 714 980 1034       >
< Micro-Quick Systems, Inc. | FAX   +1 714 944 3995       >

lindsay@dscatl.UUCP (Lindsay Cleveland) (10/29/90)

In article <9010262354.AA04244@alw.nih.gov> RAF@CU.NIH.GOV ("Roger Fajman") writes:
>Some people here would like to use a laptop PC and modem with a celluar
>telephone for the purpose of giving demonstrations in various locations
>where a modular jack may not be available.  Can anyone recommend
>cellular telephones and adapters for this purpose?  We don't have a
>particular cellular telephone yet -- it would be purchased specifically
>for this.  The phone would be stationary, of course, while the
>demonstration is going on, but would be inside various buildings.

I have actually seen what you describe.  At a demo here in Atlanta
of the Telebit "Cellblazer", a digital still-camera was used to
take a person's picture.  It was then read into a lap-top which
then used a standard package to "crop" the photo and include it
into a "employee id" form, and then transmit the entire file from
the laptop's internal "Cellblazer" modem via a cellular telephone there
in the demo room, up to Chicago.  (Since I could see the number on
the handset's read-out, I know it really was Chicago (-:  )

Next, he went over to another cellular phone which was connected to
a external "Cellblazer" modem hooked up to a regular PC.  He dialed
the Chicago computer, went through the proper login sequence, and
then down-loaded the same form and picture (in color!) to the PC.

I seem to recall the actual thru-put speed as being around 14KB.

>A related question is how well various modem technologies work over
>cellular telephones.  We are mainly interested in v.22bis (2400 bps)
>and V.32 (9600 bps) so that so special modem would be needed at the
>other end.  Is it important to have MNP or V.42 error correction?

At the demo, they mentioned that they had to put some very special
"smarts" into their program contained in the modem, and it handles
the problems of fading and reflections of the signal.
The protocol they use is (I assume) a variant of the Telebit PEP
protocol.

Anyway...I was impressed!

Cheers,
  Lindsay

Lindsay Cleveland         Digital Systems Co.   Atlanta, Ga
  gatech!dscatl!lindsay     (404) 497-1902
                         (U.S. Mail:  PO Box 1149, Duluth, GA  30136)

mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick Sayer) (10/29/90)

RAF@CU.NIH.GOV ("Roger Fajman") writes:

>I got no response to this on Telecom Digest, so I thought I would try
>Info-Modems Digest.

>Some people here would like to use a laptop PC and modem with a celluar
>telephone for the purpose of giving demonstrations in various locations
>where a modular jack may not be available.  Can anyone recommend
>cellular telephones and adapters for this purpose?

If you don't mind doing a little "dirty work," there is a product
called "Celjack" that aparently works by hooking some wires
to the speaker, mic and keypad on your cell phone. It is a circuit
board with a standard RJ11 jack, two wires bearing 12VDC, a
switch (presumably power), some LEDs, and what looks like a DB-15
or something to hook up the wires from the cell phone.

It aparently waits for the RJ11 jack to go "off hook," provides a phony
dial tone, translates DTMF or pulse into keypad closures, closes
"send" momentarily a couple seconds after the last DTMF, and finally,
pushes "end" on hang-up.  The only thing I don't think it can do is handle
ringing. Apart from that, the only way you can tell it apart from a real
phone line is that it takes longer for your dialed number to ring (about
7 seconds or so), and of course, if you're moving, it may suffer the
normal cellular fading and switching sort of stuff.

The product is reviewed/described in this November's "73" magazine,
and is intended for Amateur Radio autopatch (remote phone patch)
equipment running on far away hilltops.

Telular, Inc.
1215 Washington Ave.
Wilmette, IL, 60091-2566
(708) 256-8000
Suggested list price $480

Disclaimer: I don't have anything to do with these people, I just read
the review.

--
Nick Sayer               | Disclaimer: "Don't try this at home, | RIP: Mel Blanc
mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us  | kids. This should only be done by    |   1908-1989

lan@cup.portal.com (Los Altos Networks) (11/01/90)

	Roger,
		I did a lot of work with the TELEBIT CellBlazer for
	TELEBIT while I was with them.  Let me give you the full
	scoop so you will know what you are getting your self into.

		So far, the responses I have seen are fairly accurate
	as to the CellBlazers performance.  Realistically, I have seen
	8,000 bits per second going cellular-to-cellular and 12,000 bps
	going cellular-to-land line.  This is using TELEBIT PEP and special
	register settings in the modem which affect the PEP packetization
	and use special algorithms to handle station-to-station hand-off
	at the cell.  There is a bit of a write-up on this available from
	TELEBIT tech support or sales support called:  TELEBIT PEP MODEM
	CONSIDERATIONS FOR ADVERSE COMMUNICATIONS LINKS.  Please request
	this from them.  If you have any trouble, let me know and I'll
	send you a copy.

		Now here's the hard part.  The CellBlazer standalone requires
	an external 120V AC power source.  Just like a regular standalone
	TELEBIT modem.  This means you need a 12VDC-to-120VAC converter and
	a hefty car battery.  The CellBlazer PC-AT card will draw power from
	your laptop, but chances are it will draw so much power as to drain
	your laptop battery twice as fast as usual.  Power to the CellBlazer
	is non-trivial.

		Next.  The cellular phone interface.  Here's the real bitch.
	There is no standard for RJ-11 interfaces to cellular phones.  This
	means that there is a different interface adaptor for EVERY cellular
	phone made, a different price for the interface, and some phones
	with no such interface available.  These interfaces are usually
	referred to as FAX interfaces.  Tellular and their CellJack product
	are the most commonly used interface by TELEBIT in their demos.  Also,
	you should get an active (amplified/filtered) interface if possible.
	The Passive interfaces tend to lower the signal strength of the
	modem to the cellular phone.  There may be an additional power require-
	ment for the interface, as well :-(.  Ther interfaces tend to run
	from $500 and up.

		The cellular phone should be set to its maximum VOICE output
	volume level.  This will assure maximum signal strength.  The
	Modem is also adjusted for boosted signal strength via its registers.
	Experimentation is conducted to find the best settings for the
	modem and phone.  This might have to be done everytime that you
	are at a new remote site or are mobile.  Cellular carriers may also
	present a problem due to their carrier specs.  Some companded channels
	or digitally encoded channels may present a barrier to the PEP
	modulation which will either lower throughput or kill transmission
	altogether.

		With these issues in mind, I wish you good luck!  If you
	are interested in more info or acquiring a CellBlazer, give me a
	call.

Cerafin E. Castillo                       ||      //\\  ||\\  ||
Network Consultant                        ||     //__\\ || \\ ||  Los Altos
Los Altos Networks                        ||    // ---\\||  \\||  Networks
340 Second St. #6                         ||___//      \||   \\|
Los Altos, CA  94022
(415) 941-8031      UUCP:     {apple,sun,uunet}!portal!cup.portal.com!cec
                 NTERNET:     cec@cup.portal.com

                      "...No hay mal que por bien no venga..."