[comp.dcom.modems] Help needed.

ying@hubcap.UUCP (Ying Xie) (11/22/88)

I just bought a Pro* 2400 internal modem. It dials the number of the
mainframe(I can hear the dial tone) fine but after that nothing happens.
The software I am using is Procomm. The manual for the modem is so
confusing that I can hardly know what is going on. I hope that somebody
can point out what the possible reasons are.

Thanks in advance!

Ying Xie
ying@hubcap.clemson.edu

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (11/28/88)

In article <3625@hubcap.UUCP> ying@hubcap.UUCP (Ying Xie) writes:

>I just bought a Pro* 2400 internal modem. It dials the number of the
>mainframe(I can hear the dial tone) fine but after that nothing happens.
>The software I am using is Procomm. The manual for the modem is so
>confusing that I can hardly know what is going on. I hope that somebody
>can point out what the possible reasons are.

I have no idea why this has been posted to unix-pc.general -- if you're using
Procomm on an internal modem that is surely on some kind of PC/AT???

However, to answer the question:  the first thing to find out is whether your
phone is pulse instead of tone.  I don't have Procomm in front of me, but one
of the screens -- I think Modem Settings -- has a setting for the dial prefix.
It should be ATDT.  Try changing it to ATDP and see if this works.
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \

tmhoff@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Thomas Milton Hoff) (08/12/90)

This message is empty.

senhu@wam.umd.edu (Sen Hu) (10/09/90)

  Can anybody send me a mail about the information of which good modems
are? I am new here and don't know modems here at all.
  Thanks.
  Sen :  senhu@epsl.umd.edu

senhu@wam.umd.edu (Sen Hu) (10/27/90)

I have a stupid question sent here. I don't know modem at all. I bought
a pc recently and I need a modem for connecting to my campus. I used a
2400 baud rate modem now, it's too slow for file transfer. I saw the ads
about modems, there are some ones with 9600 baud rate, v.42, mnp5. They
are very cheap, like less than $200. My campus just supports v.32, mnp5.
Can I use this cheap one to connect to there and transfer files? Because
I don't know what is v.32, v.42 and mnp, I need your help.
Thank you very much for reply.
Sen

lan@cup.portal.com (Los Altos Networks) (11/01/90)

	Sen,
		I have seen postings that refer to V.32 modems in
	the $200-$400 range.  These modems seem to be questionable
	for reasons ranging from availability to performance.  Most
	V.42/V.42bis enhanced V.32 modems are over $300.  V.42 modems
	may also be V.22bis (2400) modems with V.42bis compression
	which means that you will only achieve 2400 bps on non-compressable
	files.
		I have detailed information and products from TELEBIT
	modems.  If you would like more information, please e-mail
	me direct or call me.  The info is in my signature.

	Thank you.

Cerafin E. Castillo                       ||      //\\  ||\\  ||
Network Consultant                        ||     //__\\ || \\ ||  Los Altos
Los Altos Networks                        ||    // ---\\||  \\||  Networks
340 Second St. #6                         ||___//      \||   \\|
Los Altos, CA  94022
(415) 941-8031      UUCP:     {apple,sun,uunet}!portal!cup.portal.com!cec
                 NTERNET:     cec@cup.portal.com

                      "...No hay mal que por bien no venga..."