[comp.dcom.modems] INFO-MODEMS Digest V90 #289

rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu (Richard Barth) (11/02/90)

   From: wuarchive!cs.utexas.edu!news-server.csri.toronto.edu!utgpu!watserv1!maytag!xenitec!zswamp!root@decwrl.dec.com  (Geoffrey Welsh)
   Subject: radio interferance

    >I have a small problem of receiving a radio station through my modem
    >during the afternoon. Can anyone tell me how to remedy this problem?
    >Please E-mail to SLDF3@CC.USU.EDU as I don't usually read this group.

      Yeah: get the modem replaced. It worked for me. <grin>

There's a less drastic solution.  I had the same problem when I started
using new internal some time ago. A local broadcast outlet came through
so loud that callers to my BBS were getting traffic reports while the
modems did their handshaking. Didn't do much for the error rate, either.

Solution was to build a little low-pass filter into a small aluminum box
and connect it by a short lead to the modem phone line input. The phone
line plugged into the other side of the filter. I got mine as a kit at a
local hamfest, but radio shack probably has all the parts you'll need.
These consist of four toroids and three capacitors. Details on request
if anybody's interested; I'll have to dig them out.

---
Richard Barth, W3HWN,  rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu
Handicapped Educational Exchange... (301) 593-7033 (TDD & 300 baud ASCII)
                                    (301) 593-7357 (300/1200 baud, 8N1)