[comp.dcom.modems] T2500 <> USR Courier V.32 Probs

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (11/05/90)

I'm having a problem using a USR Courier V.32 making a V.32 connection
with a Telebit T2500. In this case the T2500 is the remote and the USR
is local. Although, the two make the connection successfully, the
connection drops after a few minutes of heavy load, as it happens
with data mostly going from T2500->USR.

If I'm in MNP mode, the USR reports a "LD disconnect" otherwise I
just get a carrier drop. It appears the remote T2500 is causing the
drop either way.

If I substitute a T2000 for the USR as the local modem, and make a PEP
connection (to the same T2500) there is no problem. One way or another
I'm using hardware flow control all around.

Any ideas?

--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!km    UUCP

jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) (11/06/90)

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:

>I'm having a problem using a USR Courier V.32 making a V.32 connection
>with a Telebit T2500. In this case the T2500 is the remote and the USR
>is local. Although, the two make the connection successfully, the
>connection drops after a few minutes of heavy load, as it happens
>with data mostly going from T2500->USR.

>If I'm in MNP mode, the USR reports a "LD disconnect" otherwise I
>just get a carrier drop. It appears the remote T2500 is causing the
>drop either way.

[stuff deleted]

>Any ideas?

It's the HST.  Make sure you get the latest HST ROMS and the problem
should go away.  Your HST is sending the MNP command "LD" (Link Disconnect)
to the T2500, which is complying by disconnecting.  LD is a code used
by MNP modems to tell the modem on the other end that the local modem
wishes to disconnect.  This prevents a modem hanging around waiting for
the carrier to come back, or locking onto some phone company tone, etc.
Anyway, a friend and I were having the exact same problems, and when he
upgraded to the latest HST Dual Standard firmware, it went away.

>--
>Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
>Emory University    | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!km    UUCP
>Dept of Math and CS | km@emory.bitnet              NON-DOMAIN BITNET
>Atlanta, GA 30322   | Phone: (404) 727-7963

--
UUCP:  ...!rutgers!faatcrl!jimb              Internet:  jimb@faatcrl.UUCP
		Under brooding skys and watchful eyes