[comp.dcom.modems] UDS 208A/B ????

Doug Kelly <KELLYDK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (11/04/90)

I scavenged something that identifies itself as a
Universal Data Systems (a division of Motorola) 208A/B
from a gov't clearence.  From all indications, it seems to work,
but the problem is - I don't know what it does (or rather, how
to get it to do whatever it is that it does)
If anyone can help me with the following questions, I would be eternally
gratefull.
- What speeds does it run at?
-does it work on direct datalines (given that it has telset and telcom
phone jacks on the back, I assume that it runs on phone lines - could
be wrong).  If so how.
-What kind of command set
-how to dial if I can't use my dataline

(If nobody has suggestions for the above, how about creative uses for
a TI 32010 chip and EPROMS??)

Thanx in advance
(replies by email please)
Doug Kelly
kellydk@qucdn.queensu.ca

In article <90308.142030KELLYDK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> KELLYDK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Doug Kelly) writes:
> I scavenged something that identifies itself as a
> Universal Data Systems (a division of Motorola) 208A/B
> from a gov't clearence.  From all indications, it seems to work,
> but the problem is - I don't know what it does (or rather, how
> to get it to do whatever it is that it does)

As in all modems ending in "208" it's a synchronous modem.  Most
are for 4-wire full duplex over leased lines, though there may
be options for dialup half-duplex usage.

> (If nobody has suggestions for the above, how about creative uses for
> a TI 32010 chip and EPROMS??)

This is about all it's good for, sorry...

KELLYDK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Doug Kelly) (11/06/90)

Thanks to all who responded.

The info helps, but unfortunately, everything around here is
asynchronous, so I'm not sure it'll do me any good

Doug Kelly
kellydk@qucdn.queensu.ca