[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit Quality Control?

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (11/03/90)

I'm curious what kind of experience the rest of you are having/have had
with your Telebit modems, specifically the T2500.  I don't seem to be having
the best of luck with them ...

My first unit was DOA -- the on-off switch wouldn't budge!  It obviously
wasn't checked before it was shipped out.

My second unit worked fine for a week or so, but now I'm having flakey
intermittent probelms where it suddenly stops syncing on carrier on
inbound calls.  Inbound modems think they've established carrier, but
the T2500 never gives a CD light.  I don't think it's a setup issue,
because it works fine for days, then suddenly stops.  Meanwhile, outbound
calls continue to work fine.

Anyway, it looks (to me) like there must be a quality assurance problem
at Telebit.  I'm curious if others are having the same problems as me.

On the bright side, the Telebit support seems to be very good.  They shipped
me out a new modem overnight to replace my first bad one.  I don't know if
they'll continue to do that, though, I guess I'll find out when I call this
one in ...

Bill

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill@unixland.uucp,  bill%unixland.uucp@world.std.com

jmc@teqsoft.UUCP (Jack Cloninger) (11/05/90)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>I'm curious what kind of experience the rest of you are having/have had
>with your Telebit modems, specifically the T2500.  I don't seem to be having
>the best of luck with them ...
[paragraph deleted]
>My second unit worked fine for a week or so, but now I'm having flakey
>intermittent probelms where it suddenly stops syncing on carrier on
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>inbound calls.  Inbound modems think they've established carrier, but
>the T2500 never gives a CD light.  I don't think it's a setup issue,
>because it works fine for days, then suddenly stops.  Meanwhile, outbound
>calls continue to work fine.
[rest of article deleted]

I'm having what appears to be the exact same problem as Bill.  There never
seems to be a problem with outbound calls, but on perhaps 15% of inbound
calls the carrier suddenly stops.

Jack
--
Jack Cloninger, TeqSoft, 112 US Highway 1, Tequesta, FL 33469    B-)
...uunet!comtst!teqsoft!jmc   Phone: 407-747-7163  Fax: 407-747-0354

heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) (11/06/90)

In article <33@teqsoft.UUCP> jmc@teqsoft.UUCP (Jack Cloninger) writes:
>bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>[paragraph deleted]
>>My second unit worked fine for a week or so, but now I'm having flakey
>>intermittent probelms where it suddenly stops syncing on carrier on
>                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>inbound calls.  Inbound modems think they've established carrier, but
>>the T2500 never gives a CD light.  I don't think it's a setup issue,
>>because it works fine for days, then suddenly stops.  Meanwhile, outbound
>>calls continue to work fine.
>[rest of article deleted]
>
>I'm having what appears to be the exact same problem as Bill.  There never
>seems to be a problem with outbound calls, but on perhaps 15% of inbound
>calls the carrier suddenly stops.

Well, with me, it doesn't happen on some certain percentage of calls.
It just "stops working" at some point, and doesn't recover until I
manually reset the modem.  I have yet to determine what triggers the
problem.

--
Work:	heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com
	{decuac,necntc,uunet}!rayssd!tdw201.ed.ray.com!heiser
					| Shell Accounts Now Available!

cec@cup.portal.com (Cerafin E Castillo) (11/07/90)

For quite some time, while I was with TELEBIT, problems with the
modems failing to reset or connect were blamed on an Automatic
Gain Control (AGC) in the modem which would not adjust to the
line conditions correctly, from time to time.  They have never
really tracked this problem down.  Firmware after firmware has
resulted in this problem either worsening or disappearing on a
per modem basis.

QA?  Well, something is wrong.  All you can do is rag on them to
get your modem to work right.  They are not the most inexpensive
thing in the world...

Cerafin E. Castillo                       ||      //\\  ||\\  ||
Network Consultant                        ||     //__\\ || \\ ||  Los Altos
Los Altos Networks                        ||    // ---\\||  \\||  Networks
340 Second St. #6                         ||___//      \||   \\|
Los Altos, CA  94022
(415) 941-8031      UUCP:     {apple,sun,uunet}!portal!cup.portal.com!cec
                 NTERNET:     cec@cup.portal.com

                      "...No hay mal que por bien no venga..."