[comp.dcom.modems] V32bis and FAQ

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (11/05/90)

1. What is V32bis (I'm familiar with V32, V42, V42bis, PEP, etc ... )

2. Is there an FAQ for this group. Anybody care to assemble one?

Kevin

Kevin Purcell          | kpurcell@liverpool.ac.uk
Surface Science,       |
Liverpool University   | Programming the Macintosh is easy if you understand
Liverpool L69 3BX      | how the Mac works and hard if you don't. -- Dan Allen

em@dce.ie (Eamonn McManus) (11/06/90)

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK writes:
>2. Is there an FAQ for this group. Anybody care to assemble one?

I'd consider doing this.  Suggestions for questions to be answered
are welcome.  Here's what I think so far:

What are V21, V22(bis), V23, V32(bis), etc?
What are the various MNP levels?
What are V42 and V42bis?
When is compression a good idea in a modem?
How does PEP compare with V32(bis)?
What are SLIP and PPP?
How do I set up a modem on a Unix system so it can both dial in and dial out?
How do internal PC modems compare with external modems?
Can I use American modems in Europe and vice versa?

If there is interest I'll post proposed answers to these and other suggested
questions soon.
--
Eamonn McManus <em@dce.ie>

booga@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steve Jankowski [pliant]) (11/07/90)

In article <90309.054925KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK> KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK writes:
>1. What is V32bis (I'm familiar with V32, V42, V42bis, PEP, etc ... )

V.32bis is the proposed standard for compressed V.32.  Data rates should
hit 14400 bps.  The latest issue of Byte (with the 386 Compaq LTE on
the cover) has an article with the statistics for the existing as
well as future standards.  I believe V.32bis is expected to receive
approval in mid 1991.

I might be wrong about the compression, V.32bis could just be a
higher date rate version.  (Don't have the issue of Byte with me)

booga

--
Steve Jankowski --------------------------------------------------------------
booga@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU        |V|   |)              Are we scientists?
                                 | |r  |)ooga      Are we even engineers?
cornholerpooperbuggerjooby

ccplumb@spurge.uwaterloo.ca (Colin Plumb) (11/08/90)

In article <27370f1e.2b62@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> booga@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steve Jankowski [pliant]) writes:
>In article <90309.054925KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK> KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK writes:
>>1. What is V32bis (I'm familiar with V32, V42, V42bis, PEP, etc ... )
>
>V.32bis is the proposed standard for compressed V.32.  Data rates should
>hit 14400 bps.  The latest issue of Byte (with the 386 Compaq LTE on
>the cover) has an article with the statistics for the existing as
>well as future standards.  I believe V.32bis is expected to receive
>approval in mid 1991.

No!  V.32bis is a 14.4 kbps full-duplex transmission standard.  That's raw;
compression is part of the V.42(bis) error-checking protocol on top.

Toby Nixon posted an excellent summary about 6 weeks back.

>I might be wrong about the compression, V.32bis could just be a
>higher date rate version.  (Don't have the issue of Byte with me)

Sorry, but you are.  V.32bis is V.32 on steroids.  There's no compression,
error checking (except for the forward error correction), or such.
--
	-Colin