[comp.dcom.modems] Help with modem and call waiting

miket@unislc.uucp (Michael Thompson) (11/01/90)

I have a hayes compatable modem connected to the same phone line as my
telephone.  I also have the call waiting feature.  When I am on line and
an incoming call comes in, it clobbers my session.  Somewhere, and it
escapes me where, I found and used a command that was inserted, I believe,
somewhere in the ATDT command that would block any incoming call and give
the caller a busy signal just as if I did not have call waiting.  This
worked great but for some reason that to this day escapes me I removed it
from my attention/dial command.  I would be forever grateful if someone
could tell me what I need to do to block these incoming calls.  Many thanks
in advance.

Mike

donny@romed.UUCP (Donny Closson) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Oct31.190230.540@unislc.uucp> miket@unislc.UUCP (Michael Thompson,B2C04,4560) writes:

>I have a hayes compatable modem connected to the same phone line as my
>telephone.  I also have the call waiting feature.  When I am on line and
>an incoming call comes in, it clobbers my session.  Somewhere ...

you can procede the phone number with "*70", eg. atdt*70###-####.  This also
works if you're using the line for voice, it's a feature of your phone company
and not a modem command. (it works this way in AZ atleast.)  This will
temporarily disable your call waiting.

Donny E. Closson                                              donny@romed.uucp
MicroAge Computer Centers, Inc.                        ..mit-eddie!romed!donny
Technical Services Group                             ..sun!sunburn!romed!donny
Tempe, AZ                                                   ..ucsd!romed!donny
(602) 968-3168 Ext 2216                                   ..asuvax!romed!donny

bh1e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) (11/07/90)

If you have touch tone..

ATDT*70,XXX-YYY

-or-

ATDT1170,,XXX-YYY

for pulse

ATD1170,,XXX-YYYY
The *70 and the 1170 are actually not modem commands, but either tones
or pulses send to the telco...

works for voice too if you don't want to be interrupted.  It resets
after the call is over.

Brendan G. Hoar
bh1e+@andrew.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon, Inc.

tnixon@hayes.uucp (Toby Nixon) (11/08/90)

In article <820004@hpcc01.HP.COM>, bourman@hpcc01.HP.COM (Bob
Bourman) writes:

> Remember, this is for dialout only, not dialback applications.  You can't
> turn off call waiting on incoming calls, just outgoing.  *70 works then...

It _is_ possible to turn off call waiting on INCOMING calls, if you
also have Three-Way Calling.  Instead of having your modem
auto-answer (S0 > 0), you need to look for RING messages or the RI
lead and answer by command.  Instead of just doing an "ATA", do
this:  "ATH1D,!,*70,;A".  This causes the modem to go off-hook,
hook-flash, disable call waiting, and then answer.  On some central
offices, it is necessary to put another "!" before the semicolon.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404