[comp.dcom.modems] MNP4

dias@iris.ucdavis.edu (Gihan Dias) (11/08/90)

I've been following the discussion on MNP, etc. and have a question
about MNP4's operation. I know it packetizes data into "HLDC-like"
frames, and uses an ARQ protocol. What I'd like to know are:

  1. What is the maximum frame size?

  2. Does it do windowing or just stop-and-wait and, if so, what is the
     max window size?

The bottom line is: On an international link which may be subject to
satellite delays, is it better to use MNP4, or turn it off and use a
software protocol like windowed kermit?

Would V.42 be better than MNP4 in this regard?

Thanks for your help.

Gihan

tnixon@hayes.uucp (Toby Nixon) (11/08/90)

In article <7945@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, dias@iris.ucdavis.edu (Gihan
Dias) writes:

> I've been following the discussion on MNP, etc. and have a question
> about MNP4's operation. I know it packetizes data into "HLDC-like"
> frames, and uses an ARQ protocol. What I'd like to know are:
>
>   1. What is the maximum frame size?

MNP4's maximum frame size is 256 bytes (of user data), compared to
64 bytes for MNP3.  V.42 LAPM's maximum frame size is 4096 bytes,
although the default is 128 bytes.

>   2. Does it do windowing or just stop-and-wait and, if so, what is the
>      max window size?

Both MNP4 and LAPM are windowing protocols.  The maximum window
sizes are 127 in both cases, although the "actual" maximum is
usually much lower and based on the available memory in the
particular implementation (the "maximum" in Hayes V-series modems is
15 frames); the default maximum is 7 frames.

> The bottom line is: On an international link which may be subject to
> satellite delays, is it better to use MNP4, or turn it off and use a
> software protocol like windowed kermit?

You'll usually be better to let the modems do the error correction,
because the protocol (be it MNP4 or LAPM) has less overhead, usually
smaller frames, and can retransmit without the buffering delays
associated with a PC-based protocol.  A modem-based protocol,
properly implemented, can therefore recover faster from line errors
than a PC-based protocol.

> Would V.42 be better than MNP4 in this regard?

Yes, for a couple of reasons.  First, it uses poll/final procedures
and different frame types for acknowledgement and reject, making it
less likely that the intentions of the other modem will be confused
(MNP4 uses one frame type for both positive and negative
acknowledgement).  Second, LAPM, unlike MNP4, has the ability to do
Selective Reject, so you can have a large window size and not have
to go back a retransmit all those frames if one is damaged in
transit.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (11/08/90)

Gihan Dias (dias@iris.ucdavis.edu ) wrote:

 >I've been following the discussion on MNP, etc. and have a
 >question
 >about MNP4's operation. I know it packetizes data into
 >"HLDC-like"
 >frames, and uses an ARQ protocol. What I'd like to know are:

 >  1. What is the maximum frame size?

 >  2. Does it do windowing or just stop-and-wait and, if so,
 >what is the max window size?

   I can't answer that directly, but I think that I can correct some impressions
that you have (and may Toby correct my every error! <grin>)

   I do not think that MNP4 in any way regulates the window size. MNP4 is like
an 'option' on the base MNP protocols, exactly *one* of which is used as the
foundation for any MNP connection. MNP1 through 3, as I understand them, are no
windowing, windowing, and windowing with start/stop bit stripping respectively.
MNP4 adds to *any* of these the ability to adjust the packet size dynamically.

 >The bottom line is: On an international link which may be
 >subject to
 >satellite delays, is it better to use MNP4, or turn it off
 >and use a
 >software protocol like windowed kermit?

   I have read that throughput may be improved on error-prone links by disabling
MNP4, but I have not conducted enough experimentation in this area to provide
any observations of my own.

 >Would V.42 be better than MNP4 in this regard?

   Again, I can only guess that LAP-M (remember, V.42 *includes* MNP4 in Annex
A!) would provide better throughput because it was designed sufficiently later
than MNP such that MNP's shortcomings would have been taken into account.
Again, Toby would be better qualified to provide a direct answer.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Bud 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!