[comp.dcom.modems] slip

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (10/31/90)

We have SLIP up and running here on nstar - and throughput
over Telebits is very bad - while 2400 baud appears faster -
it is as expected still quite - so I guess V.32 is the next path.

Are the new V.32 with v.42bis modems the way to go with SLIP?
Will it be possible to get throughput in the 15 kbytes range
with these new modems (in excess of the carrier rate - after all
the modem manufactures claim throughput in excess of 20,000 bps?)

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar%larry@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

In article <1990Oct31.115338.4582@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
> We have SLIP up and running here on nstar - and throughput
> over Telebits is very bad - while 2400 baud appears faster -
> it is as expected still quite - so I guess V.32 is the next path.
>
> Are the new V.32 with v.42bis modems the way to go with SLIP?
> Will it be possible to get throughput in the 15 kbytes range
> with these new modems (in excess of the carrier rate - after all
> the modem manufactures claim throughput in excess of 20,000 bps?)

There is no particular assurance that V.42 works well with slip
or PPP, though they might.  On the other hand, I wouldn't buy a
V.32 modem that didn't include these capabilities.

Now, any changes that affect basic bandwidth, i.e. V.32 bis are
likely to help, but the facts aren't in yet...

Previous comments on slip vs trailblazers have indicated that
interative use of slip is pretty miserable, but performance for
file transfers, i.e. FTP was pretty good.  If you have access to
T2500's, try v.32 slip and see which you like best... There are
also a few poorly documented registers which affect TB packetizing
behavior which you might want to play with...

In article <1990Oct31.115338.4582@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>Are the new V.32 with v.42bis modems the way to go with SLIP?
>Will it be possible to get throughput in the 15 kbytes range
>with these new modems (in excess of the carrier rate - after all
>the modem manufactures claim throughput in excess of 20,000 bps?)

I wouldn't count on getting > 800byte/sec throughput with slip because
you won't be able to use the error correction mode (it will conflict with the
acks required by slip).

Besides, most modem manufacturer claims of throughput deal with throughput
of clear text (which is pretty easy to compress), not a standard mix of
text and data (which is what you would expect on a typical slip connection).

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

palowoda@fiver (Bob Palowoda) (11/01/90)

From article <15506@cbmvax.commodore.com>, by grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins):
> In article <1990Oct31.115338.4582@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
[some stuff deleted]

> There is no particular assurance that V.42 works well with slip
> or PPP, though they might.  On the other hand, I wouldn't buy a
    ^^^^^
  Is there any source code examples useing PPP on 386 versions of UNIX
available?

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda   palowoda@fiver              |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda              | 415-623-8809 1200/2400

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/01/90)

cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>In article <1990Oct31.115338.4582@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>Are the new V.32 with v.42bis modems the way to go with SLIP?
>>Will it be possible to get throughput in the 15 kbytes range
>>with these new modems (in excess of the carrier rate - after all
>>the modem manufactures claim throughput in excess of 20,000 bps?)

>I wouldn't count on getting > 800byte/sec throughput with slip because
>you won't be able to use the error correction mode (it will conflict with the
>acks required by slip).

>Besides, most modem manufacturer claims of throughput deal with throughput
>of clear text (which is pretty easy to compress), not a standard mix of
>text and data (which is what you would expect on a typical slip connection).

But I thought that SLIP assumed the hardware (modem link) supplied the
error correction - not TCP/IP itself - am I wrong?

So for SLIP you are saying I don't want MNP enabled?  How about v.42bis?

raymond@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl (Raymond Nijssen) (11/01/90)

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>We have SLIP up and running here on nstar - and throughput
>over Telebits is very bad - while 2400 baud appears faster -
>it is as expected still quite - so I guess V.32 is the next path.

The Telebit Trailblazer PEP mode is in fact a half duplex mode, so it
will behave like a modem in HST mode: SLIP really _needs_ real full duplex
connections. The performance penalty when using half duplex lines due to
enormous extra overhead (for line turnarounds, trashing/rebuild of the
compression tables etc.) could be up to 500%

>Are the new V.32 with v.42bis modems the way to go with SLIP?
Definitely yes. These modems support full duplex transmissions with
data compression.

>Will it be possible to get throughput in the 15 kbytes range
>with these new modems (in excess of the carrier rate - after all
>the modem manufactures claim throughput in excess of 20,000 bps?)
I don't know what you mean with 'carrier rate', but I guess you mean the
'(raw) bits per second' rate. (which should not be confused with the
'baudrate'). Well, whenever a manufacturer claims their modems have a
througput in excess of 20kbps, they only give you a guarantee that their
device will never exceed this rate. In real life, the probability distribution
over the transmission alphabet is such, that in spite of advanced data
compression algorithms used in the modems, the throughput improvement because
of data compression is av. 50%. Obviously, this figure will be much lower
when files are transmitted which are already compressed.

Raymond X.T. Nijssen  /                     / Oh VMS, please forgive me all
raymond@ele.tue.nl   /                     / unfriendly things I said about you

DRJ100@psuvm.psu.edu (Daniel R. Jeuch) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Nov01.025031.12861@virtech.uucp>, cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P.
Cahill) says:

>In article <1990Oct31.115338.4582@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder)
>writes:
>>Are the new V.32 with v.42bis modems the way to go with SLIP?
>>Will it be possible to get throughput in the 15 kbytes range
>>with these new modems (in excess of the carrier rate - after all
>>the modem manufactures claim throughput in excess of 20,000 bps?)
>
>I wouldn't count on getting > 800byte/sec throughput with slip because
>you won't be able to use the error correction mode (it will conflict with the
>acks required by slip).

Admittedly, Even with a V.32 MNP5 capable modem, you shouldn't use MNP5
because it tends to slow things down.  But with a 9600V.32 MNP4 setting,
througput for me is on average .8-.9kb/sec... Not bad.  TN3270 is slow,
but it it nice to be able to FTP anywhere over a phone line!  :)
Of course, this also depends on how your host decides to feed you with
data... If you have last priority on the local net, you might not get
.9kb/sec.

P.S. This is average.  Believe it or not, I had a transfer of 1.01 kb/sec
     once.... but only Once.
-----
Daniel R. Jeuch                   Microsoft Corp. Student Rep.
10 Vario Blvd., Box 185           DRJ100@PSUVM, drj100@psuvm.psu.edu
State College, PA  16803          (814) 867-4622, (800) 232-5129

cec@cup.portal.com (Cerafin E Castillo) (11/02/90)

	Larry,
		V.32 is definitely the way to go for TCP/SLIP
	interactive sessions (telnet).  TELEBIT PEP works well
	with an ftp or other such bulk data transfers due to
	the nature of the packetization.  PEP is half duplex
	(adaptive duplex) and will be 'jerky' on SLIP telnet
	sessions.  But, then again, when the phone line is
	bad enough PEP will be the only modulation which will
	keep up good throughput.

		V.42 (LAP-M) will help keep line noise from killing
	your connection in V.32.  My experience with old SLIP is that
	V.42 will not cause a problem with ACK or other such SLIP packets.
	CSLIP (Van Jacobson RFC 1144) will also do pretty good with
	V.32/V.42.  PPP (Hobby/Perkins RFC 1134) with IP compression
	(VJ 1144) also exhibits good behaviour.

		My strong recommendation to you it that you use a T2500
	TELEBIT modem to do both V.32 and PEP, which ever is needed on
	a connection basis, to do SLIP/CSLIP/PPP.  Furthermore, I recommend
	that you switch over to using TCP/CSLIP or PPP with compressed IP
	to yield better V.32 throughputs, as well as PEP throughput.

		If your tired of hacking your kernel, try getting a TELEBIT
	NetBlazer.  This will make life easier for a lot of us Serial Line
	Dial-up IP users.  Call me if you need more info on any of this.

Cerafin E. Castillo                       ||      //\\  ||\\  ||
Network Consultant                        ||     //__\\ || \\ ||  Los Altos
Los Altos Networks                        ||    // ---\\||  \\||  Networks
340 Second St. #6                         ||___//      \||   \\|
Los Altos, CA  94022
(415) 941-8031      UUCP:     {apple,sun,uunet}!portal!cup.portal.com!cec
                 NTERNET:     cec@cup.portal.com

                      "...No hay mal que por bien no venga..."

In article <1990Nov01.145738.16101@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>But I thought that SLIP assumed the hardware (modem link) supplied the
>error correction - not TCP/IP itself - am I wrong?

If I remember correctly,  SLIP itself does not have error correction.  However,
the layers above it (TCP in most cases) will usually have thier own
error correction.  The main exception to this is the UDP protocol (which is
used by NFS).

Even without the error correction problem the IP datagrams still have an
packet/ack protocol.

>So for SLIP you are saying I don't want MNP enabled?  How about v.42bis?

I would think that either of the protocols (due to thier own packetization)
would result in lower throughput.

Wait for an implementation of PPP to get good throughput over serial
lines.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/02/90)

DRJ100@psuvm.psu.edu (Daniel R. Jeuch) writes:

>Admittedly, Even with a V.32 MNP5 capable modem, you shouldn't use MNP5
>because it tends to slow things down.  But with a 9600V.32 MNP4 setting,
>througput for me is on average .8-.9kb/sec... Not bad.  TN3270 is slow,
>but it it nice to be able to FTP anywhere over a phone line!  :)
>Of course, this also depends on how your host decides to feed you with
>data... If you have last priority on the local net, you might not get
>.9kb/sec.

Well, with the T2000 - I get right round 1kb/sec and with the 2400
baud modem - I get right around 1.5 kb/sec which is "fair" I guess.

I received a message that stated if our (I am running ISC 2.2) SLIP
uses compressed headers we would get better throughput -  also
I should wave RFC1144, RFC1171 and RFC1172 at the ISC developers.

Comments from ISC?

cec@cup.portal.com (Cerafin E Castillo) writes:

>		V.42 (LAP-M) will help keep line noise from killing
>	your connection in V.32.  My experience with old SLIP is that
>	V.42 will not cause a problem with ACK or other such SLIP packets.
>	CSLIP (Van Jacobson RFC 1144) will also do pretty good with
>	V.32/V.42.  PPP (Hobby/Perkins RFC 1134) with IP compression
>	(VJ 1144) also exhibits good behaviour.

I assume that these different versions of SLIP are complete replacements -
not options or flags to turn with what I am running?

>		If your tired of hacking your kernel, try getting a TELEBIT
>	NetBlazer.  This will make life easier for a lot of us Serial Line
>	Dial-up IP users.  Call me if you need more info on any of this.

My wife would have a fit - remember - this is a hobby for me (even though
I like to spend money - I can't justify THAT much money)..

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar%larry@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/02/90)

cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>Wait for an implementation of PPP to get good throughput over serial
>lines.

When will this be released?  Would anyone happen to know if release 4
supports PPP?

dougm@ico.isc.com (Doug McCallum) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Nov02.032318.18632@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>If I remember correctly,  SLIP itself does not have error correction.  However,
>the layers above it (TCP in most cases) will usually have thier own
>error correction.  The main exception to this is the UDP protocol (which is
>used by NFS).

A bigger problem than not having error correction is that SLIP has no
error "detection".  The checksumming used by IP and UDP is very simple.
Its a one's complement checksum that cannot detect certain classes of
errors.  For example, suppose one byte in the data stream has a 1 bit
changed to a 0.  Suppose an even number of bytes later a different
byte has a 0 bit changed to a 1 in the same position as the previous
error.  If nothing else has changed, IP or UDP (or TCP) won't see an error
and you have corrupted data.  This usually doesn't hurt for a telnet or
rlogin session, but it isn't particularly nice for NFS or file transfer.
Undetected data corruption is not a desirable trait but it is something
that occurs with SLIP.

PPP has a CRC mechanism so will detect errors.

Doug McCallum
Interactive Systems Corp.
dougm@ico.isc.com

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (11/03/90)

In article <15506@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <1990Oct31.115338.4582@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>> We have SLIP up and running here on nstar - and throughput
>> over Telebits is very bad - while 2400 baud appears faster -
>> it is as expected still quite - so I guess V.32 is the next path.
>>
>> Are the new V.32 with v.42bis modems the way to go with SLIP?
>> Will it be possible to get throughput in the 15 kbytes range
>> with these new modems (in excess of the carrier rate - after all
>> the modem manufactures claim throughput in excess of 20,000 bps?)
>
>There is no particular assurance that V.42 works well with slip
>or PPP, though they might.  On the other hand, I wouldn't buy a
>V.32 modem that didn't include these capabilities.
>
>Now, any changes that affect basic bandwidth, i.e. V.32 bis are
>likely to help, but the facts aren't in yet...
>
>Previous comments on slip vs trailblazers have indicated that
>interative use of slip is pretty miserable, but performance for
>file transfers, i.e. FTP was pretty good.  If you have access to
>T2500's, try v.32 slip and see which you like best... There are
>also a few poorly documented registers which affect TB packetizing
>behavior which you might want to play with...

I have a T2500 and use it under V.32 for SL/IP.  In the pep mode it
seems that the modem eventually gets confused and quits.  I also use
the MNP compression and average about 800k bytes throughput.  I
haven't tried it without the MNP but suspect that it helps some.  The
telnet sessions I have done seem to perform better under V.32 also.

Can you expand on the packet registers and I can give them a try and
post what I find out.

For some backround:  My end:  20 Mhz 386 clone with 8 meg memory.
                              ISC 2.2 with HBTCP 1.2
			      T2500 and USR HST modems.
			      Normal use of slip is through a
			      computone Atvantage card but also use
			      the FAS drivers on standard ports.

		     My Host: DEC VAX 8600 running BSD 4.3

Jim

--

UUCP: nosc!jadpc!jdeitch
ARPA: jadpc!jdeitch@nosc.mil

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (11/03/90)

Let me expand on my other post a bit.  I don't have the machine, it is
not mine.  It is a clients of mine that pretty much let's me do what I
want after hours and weekends in exchange for my services.

Jim

--

UUCP: nosc!jadpc!jdeitch
ARPA: jadpc!jdeitch@nosc.mil

cec@cup.portal.com (Cerafin E Castillo) (11/03/90)

Larry,
	I konw that ISC is doing some work with PPP for use with
WAN products like the NetBlazer.  In the meantime, you might want
to fish off sources for KA9Q [NOS] (PPP.12) from UCDavis.  Katie
Stevens did a nice job with this and you might be able to port
it onto your system.  Good Luck!

jparnas@larouch.uucp (Jacob Parnas) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Oct31.115338.4582@nstar.uucp>, larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:

|> Are the new V.32 with v.42bis modems the way to go with SLIP?
|> Will it be possible to get throughput in the 15 kbytes range

This would be pretty impressive, around 150000 baud!  I assume you mean
15000 baud.

|> with these new modems (in excess of the carrier rate - after all
|> the modem manufactures claim throughput in excess of 20,000 bps?)

Here's some test results I got:

All tests are between 2 IBM RT/PC's running 4.3 BSD UNIX with
header compressed SLIP and using Dickens Data Systems 8 port adapters.

Microcom 3296hs BETA: PROM LEVEL: GOLD: 8/31/90, SERIAL BAUDRATE: 38400

PING test...

----dagorlad.watson.ibm.com PING Statistics----
103 packets transmitted, 102 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip (ms)  min/avg/max = 342/355/382

FTP test: default tcp_recvspace * 1024 *

FILE		DESCRIPTION			DIR	SIZE	THROUGHPUT
----		-----------			---	----	-------------
one * 1024 *	best case, all 1's GOLD		get	133K	3.2 Kbyte/sec

/etc/hosts 1024	ascii unix host table		get	200K	2.8 Kbyte/sec

gigiplot 1024	binary, application		get	50K	2.1 Kbyte/sec

vmunix 1024	binary, UNIX kernel		get	1M	1.7 Kbyte/sec

hosts.Z	1024	worst case, precompressed	get	69K	1.1 Kbyte/sec

| Jacob M. Parnas                    | DISCLAIMER: The above message is from |
| IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Ctr. | me and is not from my employer.  IBM  |
| Arpanet: jparnas@ibm.com           | might completely disagree with me.    |
| Bitnet: jparnas@yktvmx.bitnet      \---------------------------------------|
| Home: ..!uunet!bywater!acheron!larouch!jparnas | Phone: (914) 945-1635     |

milton@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Milton D Miller) (11/04/90)

In article <35513@cup.portal.com> cec@cup.portal.com (Cerafin E Castillo) writes:

>Larry,
>	I konw that ISC is doing some work with PPP for use with
>WAN products like the NetBlazer.  In the meantime, you might want
>to fish off sources for KA9Q [NOS] (PPP.12) from UCDavis.  Katie
>Stevens did a nice job with this and you might be able to port
>it onto your system.  Good Luck!

FYI:  Phil has incorporated Katie's PPP in the last release, so the
port should be even easer now :-)   He did mention that Katie updated
her PPP stuff since he got the code to integrate, though.   This is
in the 10/29 version; the previous one was quite stable for beta code.

milton

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/04/90)

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:

>			      computone Atvantage card but also use

what version of computone drivers?

kim@Software.Mitel.com (Kim Letkeman) (11/04/90)

In article <1990Nov3.055609.6391@larouch.uucp> jparnas@larouch.uucp (Jacob Parnas) writes:

| In article <1990Oct31.115338.4582@nstar.uucp>, larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
| |>
| |> Are the new V.32 with v.42bis modems the way to go with SLIP?
| |> Will it be possible to get throughput in the 15 kbytes range
|
| This would be pretty impressive, around 150000 baud!  I assume you
| mean 15000 baud.

This would be pretty impressive. I assume you mean 15000 bits per
second.
--
Kim Letkeman	kim@software.mitel.com
		uunet!mitel!spock!kim

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/04/90)

jparnas@larouch.uucp (Jacob Parnas) writes:

>All tests are between 2 IBM RT/PC's running 4.3 BSD UNIX with
>header compressed SLIP and using Dickens Data Systems 8 port adapters.

>Microcom 3296hs BETA: PROM LEVEL: GOLD: 8/31/90, SERIAL BAUDRATE: 38400

what version of SLIP - PPP?

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar%larry@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/04/90)

earlier I posted a message (article) about the computone board (and
drivers) not working with slip -

I called computone, and they didn't know what slip was - (likewise
they didn't know that sysV rel 4 was shipping since I also asked if
they had a driver for release 4) - but they did suggest that I download
the latest driver from their support BBS -

I called the bbs (which is running under unix) - and downloaded the
latest drivers for the intelliport boards (the drivers are supplied
as disk images - so one needs to download the entire 1.2 megabytes
even through only around 150K is actually the drivers and support
files and on top of that at 2400 baud).

Anyhow, the latest drivers for AT&T Unix (and 386/ix) is release
4.56 - and SLIP works just dandy on the Computone ports --

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar%larry@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/05/90)

well - like I said in a previous article SLIP works with
the 4.56 Intelliport drivers from Computone - but after
leaving the system up while I took the kids out to the
Olive Garden for lunch - I noticed that someone had been
having problems getting a connect with one of the trailblazers.

Further research and guess what?  The Computone 4.56 drivers
don't work real well with bi-directional communications.  I called
into the port that the caller was having problems on - and it was
dead.  The computone utilities ttyoff didn't toggle DTR on the port
(like it normally does when it turns the port off).  Further
research - and the port appears to not accept inbound calls after
using it to originate calls. Great - aren't we having fun.

Hmm.  I installed the 4.31 drivers (which work fine - except
for SLIP).

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar%larry@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

crtb@helix.nih.gov (Chuck Bacon) (11/05/90)

Larry, SLIP is just IP using an async. RS-232 port.  Error correction is
done by TCP.  This requires fast turnaround, however, and so the best bet
is V.32 with *NO* packetizing, error correction or compression by the
modem.  A true V.32 rate of 9600 should give an effective data throughput
close to 80%, or near 760 bytes per second.

--
Chuck Bacon - crtb@helix.nih.gov - 301-496-4823
	"People who like this kind of thing

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (11/06/90)

Chuck Bacon (crtb@helix.nih.gov ) wrote:

 > A true V.32 rate of 9600 should give an effective data throughput
 >close to 80%, or near 760 bytes per second.

   Would it not still be to your advantage to use MNP3 & MNP4 (or V.42)? This
would increase the throughput (80% of 1200 in stead of 80% of 960) and remove
the need for TCP to correct errors (the modems would probably correct them
faster than the systems could).

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Bud 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!

jparnas@larouch.uucp (Jacob Parnas) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov04.130243.4587@nstar.uucp>, larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
|> jparnas@larouch.uucp (Jacob Parnas) writes:
|> >Microcom 3296hs BETA: PROM LEVEL: GOLD: 8/31/90, SERIAL BAUDRATE: 38400
|>
|> what version of SLIP - PPP?

4.3 BSD slip with header compression (Van Jacobson -- ftp.ee.lbl.gov).

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (11/07/90)

>		If your tired of hacking your kernel, try getting a TELEBIT
>	NetBlazer.  This will make life easier for a lot of us Serial Line
>	Dial-up IP users.  Call me if you need more info on any of this.

How about a cheap pc instead of a NetBlazer?

Could save you a couple $grand...

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

In article <1990Oct31.115338.4582@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>We have SLIP up and running here on nstar - and throughput
>over Telebits is very bad - while 2400 baud appears faster -
>it is as expected still quite - so I guess V.32 is the next path.
>
>Are the new V.32 with v.42bis modems the way to go with SLIP?
>Will it be possible to get throughput in the 15 kbytes range
>with these new modems (in excess of the carrier rate - after all
>the modem manufactures claim throughput in excess of 20,000 bps?)
>
>--
>       Larry Snyder, Northern Star Communications, Notre Dame, IN USA
> {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar%larry@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
>                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
>         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

We are having a hell of a time getting this to work.

Here's the deal:
	We have one machine which has a bunch of Telebit 2500's.  We would
	like anyone to be able to log in under SL/IP that has the
	appropriate login id and password.

	The problem is twofold:
		1) The system requires a system name when you set up SL/IP.
		   The problem, of course, is that I don't KNOW what which
		   system will call!  ARGH!

		2) It also wants a line name (ie: /dev/ttyxx).  Again, what
		   if I have a bunch of lines on a rotary?!  Grrrrr...

		3) When I go through the motions, it doesn't work.  I don't
		   know if this is me or something else.  In any event, it
		   looks like the data is going across the line, but I get
		   no response back from the remote end (and yet data
		   appears to be going both directions).

	I'm about at wits end.  Does anyone have a solution that works?  I
	want to use my current modem pool, and not split them off onto some
	PC-router solution (which would require doubling our modem
	investment).  I also >must< be able to accept and make connections
	to multiple sites.  We're willing to do some hacking, IF I know what
	to hack!

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/09/90)

karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

>		1) The system requires a system name when you set up SL/IP.
>		   The problem, of course, is that I don't KNOW what which
>		   system will call!  ARGH!

>		2) It also wants a line name (ie: /dev/ttyxx).  Again, what
>		   if I have a bunch of lines on a rotary?!  Grrrrr...

>		3) When I go through the motions, it doesn't work.  I don't
>		   know if this is me or something else.  In any event, it
>		   looks like the data is going across the line, but I get
>		   no response back from the remote end (and yet data
>		   appears to be going both directions).

Nope - not that I found out - all the SYSV 386's that I have found only
allow one SLIP connection tied to a specific port - except for ESIX - which
I've been told will allow you to define 2 ports for SLIP.

Intel release 4 also allows only one SLIP connection at a time -

My Computone driver won't allow data to come back from the modem (like
you mention in #3) - upgrading to the latest driver fixed that - but
broke bi-directional communications on the ports (which is needed more).

>	I'm about at wits end.  Does anyone have a solution that works?  I
>	want to use my current modem pool, and not split them off onto some
>	PC-router solution (which would require doubling our modem
>	investment).  I also >must< be able to accept and make connections
>	to multiple sites.  We're willing to do some hacking, IF I know what
>	to hack!

Let me know what you find out - My 2 cents is to get another V.32 modem on
a single line - and maybe somehow - modifing the scripts to add the names
of the 20 or so machines you need to connect with.

 {larry@nstar, {uunet|backbone}!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}