[comp.dcom.modems] Intel modems

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/15/90)

I called the Intel BBS and captured the SYSOP offer for $399 which was
posted a couple of days ago by another individual.

Tech Data (a large distributor) has the modems on back-order.  37 came
into Clearwater the other day, all sold.  Another 54 are expected at
various TD distribution centers over the next week (as of today, 41
of those modems are taken).  The TD price is $467 and there number
is 1-800-237-8931.

PC Distributors in Chicago has 14 of the modems in stock - there price
is $505.  I mentioned the TD price - and was told they could come down
to $490.   PCD is 1-800-323-6910

According to Intel tech support as of this morning, there are no problems
with the modems in production connecting with USR Dual Standards - that
problem existed with pre-production units - not the units currently in
distribution.

Intel will be releasing a firmware upgrade next month, which will increase
v.42bis throughput.

 {larry@nstar, {uunet|backbone}!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

leech@degas.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov14.175116.4087@nstar.uucp>, larry@nstar.uucp (Larry
Snyder) writes:
|>Intel will be releasing a firmware upgrade next month, which will increase
|>v.42bis throughput.

	Does anyone have an opinion on whether there's enough horsepower in
the 9600EX to support V.32bis (when it exists) with a future ROM upgrade?

bruce@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov14.175116.4087@nstar.uucp>, larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
> I called the Intel BBS and captured the SYSOP offer for $399 which was
> posted a couple of days ago by another individual.
>
> Tech Data (a large distributor) has the modems on back-order.  37 came
> into Clearwater the other day, all sold.  Another 54 are expected at
> various TD distribution centers over the next week (as of today, 41
> of those modems are taken).  The TD price is $467 and there number
> is 1-800-237-8931.
>
> PC Distributors in Chicago has 14 of the modems in stock - there price
> is $505.  I mentioned the TD price - and was told they could come down
> to $490.   PCD is 1-800-323-6910
>
> According to Intel tech support as of this morning, there are no problems
> with the modems in production connecting with USR Dual Standards - that
> problem existed with pre-production units - not the units currently in
> distribution.
>
> Intel will be releasing a firmware upgrade next month, which will increase
> v.42bis throughput.
>
> --
>        Larry Snyder, Northern Star Communications, Notre Dame, IN USA
>  {larry@nstar, {uunet|backbone}!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
>                      backbone usenet newsfeeds available
>          Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

bruce@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov14.175116.4087@nstar.uucp>, larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:

> Intel will be releasing a firmware upgrade next month, which will increase
> v.42bis throughput.

I tried to get Intel's 800 # from 800 DA and got some OTHER poor woman who
apparently gets lots of calls. She KNEW the unlisted Intel number, though.

It is 1.800.538.3373.

Intel said several things of interest.

1) they are not publishing the 800 # any more because it gets too many calls
from folks that don't read the manual first. They feal that their corporate
customers would rather pay for the call and get through faster.

2) the v.42bis support in available right now, not next month.

3) they are using the Rockwell chip set. (does this mean there will be NO
v.32bis upgrade?)

The person I was talking to was unaware of v.32bis, and comp.dcom.modems
for that matter. He did say that most of their staff was at comdex.