[comp.dcom.modems] Ctrl-S and Ctrl-Q

marx@VMS.HUJI.AC.IL (Michael M. Marx) (11/15/90)

Help me people,
I have an ATI 2400etc. Modem (MNP5, v.42, INTERNAL).
Whenever I do by mistake (or not) ^S when i am in a terminal mode
on any comm program (currently using Telix). The modem get stuck
and only ^Q releases it.
How do I get over this? Isn't there some trivial string that will release it?

Thanks,
Michael M. Marx
marx@hujivms.bitnet
marx@vms.huji.ac.il
marx%hujivms.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (11/16/90)

In article <479@shum.huji.ac.il> marx@vms.huji.ac.il writes:

>Help me people,
>I have an ATI 2400etc. Modem (MNP5, v.42, INTERNAL).
>Whenever I do by mistake (or not) ^S when i am in a terminal mode
>on any comm program (currently using Telix). The modem get stuck
>and only ^Q releases it.
>How do I get over this? Isn't there some trivial string that will release it?

There is a setup command (hayes compatible) that can select flow control.

&K0     Use NO flow control
&K3     Use RTS/CTS flow control
&K4     Use XON/XOFF (CTRL-S/CTRL-Q) flow control
&K5     Special transparent XON/XOFF flow control that some comm packages can
        use.

Note that if the computer at either end can't respond fast enough to incoming
characters, some may be lost if you use no flow control.

You should use hardware (RTS/CTS) flow control if your system/comm package
supports it. Also note that some comm packages/terminal emulation packages
may do their own XON/XOFF handling, so you need to set it up to turn it off
there also.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254