[comp.dcom.modems] Hayes has good QC?

cyamamot@kilroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Cliff Yamamoto) (11/14/90)

In article <901112204128.20e00d89@MISVAX.MIS.ARIZONA.EDU> SOLOMON@MIS.ARIZONA.EDU (Monty Solomon) writes:
>My brand new Hayes Ultra 96 sends the following to my computer at 9600bps
>after I power it up:
>TEST 1 [RAM] FAILED
>ADDRESS= 800000     DATA XOR= FF
>
>In the weeds (opcode FF encountered) at 0;0; (Phys 0/0/0/)
>NMIMON>
>
>Has anyone else seen this with their Ultra 96?

Well a few days ago, I received my brand new shrink wrapped box Ultra 96 and
I couldn't EVEN talk to it!  Whenever I powered it up, the SD light stayed on
continously.  The RD light was off.  Then as soon as I sent ANY character down
the line (any baud), the RD light would come on and STAY on.  Out of the blue,
I did get one error message (luckily I was listening at 9600 baud).

TEST 5 [PIO] FAILED

or something like that.

Anyway, I can see that I'm not the only one with a flakey Ultra 96.  I have
already sent it back to where I bought it for an exchange so I'm looking
forward to see how my replacement is.

Toby, are you listening?  Any comments about Hayes' QC?  I'm still a loyal
Hayes user after owning my Smartmodem 2400 for 5 years.  I hope things haven't
changed at Hayes.

Regards,
Cliff Yamamoto

mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) (11/14/90)

Where I work we just had a client buy a batch of modems from Computerland.
The new Hayes US1000s (which are the combination old V9600 and X.25 modem now).

We have had 5 that had to be repaired with new ROMs.  And HAYES wouldn't even
ship them via courier unless we paid.  And then we have to spend the time
doing the ROM swaps.

I don't know about the QC.  I don't think there is any anymore.

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (11/15/90)

We recently set up about 30 Ultras. One or two were bad.  Seems like
a little higher failure rate than I'd like.
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

Soon to become {emory,gatech}!nanovx!dbses0!kevin  (But not yet!)

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (11/16/90)

Cliff Yamamoto (cyamamot@kilroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov ) wrote:

 >Whenever I powered it up, the SD light stayed on
 >continously.  The RD light was off.  Then as soon as I sent
 >ANY character down the line (any baud), the RD light would
 >come on and STAY on.

    Sounds like someone crossed your TxD and RxD lines! <grin>

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Bud 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!