[comp.dcom.modems] Hayes modems

tdoi@monsoon.Berkeley.EDU (Takeshi Doi) (11/23/90)

In article <1990Nov21.144423.22734@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov> cyamamot@kilroy.jpl.nasa.gov (Cliff Yamamoto) writes:
>Hayes announced last week of its intentions to support V.32bis.  The best
>part for Ultra 96 owners is there WILL be an upgrade path.  This text was
>obtained from the Hayes BBS at 1-800-US-HAYES under file V32BIS.TXT.  Hope
>someone finds this informative.

Hayes has announced its _intentions_ to support v.32bis.  Do not
confuse this with actual support of v.32bis.  Most modem manufactures
also offer a v.31bis upgrade option.  Hope someone finds this informative
too.

>        "V.32bis is on the horizon, and we will release our
>implementation when it meets our standards for performance, reliability
>and quality,"  said Hayes President Dennis C. Hayes.  "The main issue
>of high speed communications is performance throughput and data
>integrity rather than whether the modem line speed is 9600 bps or
>14,400 bps.  We have taken the total system approach to high-end
>customer applications by providing a solution for high speed
>communications that includes ULTRA 96, Hayes ESP, and Smartcom
>software."

As a network sysadmin I can attest to the great advertising of Hayes.
Unfortunatly their compatibility and quality do no usually match their
advertising.  On a price performance basis Hayes modems must rank dead last.
Make no mistake about it Hayes modems are a technological step behind
USR, Telebit and even PP.  Hayes marketing, on the other hand is
without peer.

>        Best known as the leader in microcomputer modems, Hayes
>develops, supplies and supports computer communications equipment and
>software for personal computer and computer communications networks.
>The company distributes its products through an international network
>of authorized distributors, dealers, and original equipment
>manufacturers.

Pity the poor soul who buys the Hayes name and advertising.  There are so
many good modems out there.

	marquis@well.UUCP (Roger Marquis)