[comp.dcom.modems] V.32bis adoption status

tnixon@hayes.uucp (Toby Nixon) (11/25/90)

In article <1990Nov21.093701.15396@santra.uucp>, jjj@blob.hut.fi
(Joni Jaakko J{rvenkyl{) writes:

> According to my knowledge CCITT has just standardized the proposed V.32bis
> standard?? At least the standardizing session should have been during this
> month if I'm not completely wrong?

At its meeting in October, CCITT Study Group XVII agreed to apply
the Resolution 2 "accelerated approval procedures" to draft
recommendation V.32bis.  This means that the draft was agreed to by
all of the technical experts present at the meeting, and that no
voting member (Administration or RPOA) raised an objection.  The
CCITT Secretariat has one month to translate the document into the
official CCITT languages, and it is then mailed out to all CCITT
voting members for a written ballot.  They have three months in
which to consider the proposed recommendation and return their
ballots.  Of the ballots returned (and there is NO minimum "quorum"
requirement), 70% must be affirmative in order for V.32bis to be
formally adopted.  This determination will be made around the end of
February, 1991.

In practice, once a study group has accepted a draft recommendation,
it is highly unlikely that it would not be approved in the written
ballot.  Thus, manufacturers are willing to go ahead and announce
products based on the draft, even though it is not actually formally
adopted until the written ballot closes successfully.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404