[comp.dcom.modems] SCO 3.2.2 & RTSFLOW CTSFLOW

sean@utodaycom (Sean Fulton) (11/26/90)

I'm having trouble with outgoing calls on my TB T2500 connected to a
386 PC running SCO Unix 3.2.2. Specifically, the port is enabled using
the ``n'' entry from /etc/gettydefs, and seems to answer calls at
19,200 bps quite well. I can't get it to keep from jamming up on
outgoing UUCP calls, though. When I use cu to connect to the UUCP
site, then do a ``~!stty'', I see my baud is set for 9600, no rts or
cts, even though dialTBIT (which I use to dial) supposedly sets these
modes when dialing out.

The TB is set to speak to the DTE at any speed, default to 19200. Also
set to use flow control (S66=1) and RTS/CTS (S58=2; S68=255). Adding
RTSFLOW CTSFLOW to the ``n'' gettydefs entry doesn't seem to make a
difference (I believe this is because gettydefs is only for when the
modem answers a call, not outgoing). Any ideas would be appreciated.

--
Sean Fulton					sean@utoday.com
UNIX Today!					(516) 562-5430

wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) (11/28/90)

In article <1838@utodaycom> sean@utoday.UUCP (Sean Fulton) writes:
>... trouble with outgoing calls on my TB T2500 [with SCO 3.2.2 ...  RTS/CTS]

I think the problem is with the cu code. It just about has to be.
RTSFLOW and CTSFLOW are SCO extensions.  The problem arises when
standard System V code (cu) manipulates the termio state; not knowing
about the two extsion bits, it is probably jamming certain values into
c_iflag rather than ANDing out unwanted bits and ORing in wanted bits.

May I suggest you try ECU, an -er- optimized comm program for SCO, which
does one or two things cu doesn't and, specifically, lets you diddle
with rts/cts to your hearts content.  I almost have rev 3 ready to release,
but comp.sources.misc has 2.80, which with patches 1-4 applied, does
fairly well.

Warren Tucker, TuckerWare emory!n4hgf!wht or wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US
ANSI C should have been named D, or Son of C

cec@cup.portal.com (Cerafin E Castillo) (11/28/90)

I would highly recommend the Digiboard Mux or the Anvil Designs
Stallion or Brumby Mux boards, as well as Maxpeed boards.  I have
used these boards, while at TELEBIT, on my SCO XENIX 2.3.2 system
with RTS/CTS flow control and never had a problem at 19200 or
below.  Give it a try.  If you are using your cpu serial ports,
make sure that they have 16450/16550 fro best performance with
your TELEBIT modem.  Good Luck!

Cerafin E. Castillo                       ||      //\\  ||\\  ||
Network Consultant                        ||     //__\\ || \\ ||  Los Altos
Los Altos Networks                        ||    // ---\\||  \\||  Networks
340 Second St. #6                         ||___//      \ |   \ |
Los Altos, CA  94022
(415) 941-8031      UUCP:     {apple,sun,uunet}!portal!cup.portal.com!cec
                INTERNET:     cec@cup.portal.com

                      "...No hay mal que por bien no venga..."

pizzi@esacs.UUCP (Riccardo Pizzi) (11/29/90)

In article <1838@utodaycom> sean@utoday.UUCP (Sean Fulton) writes:
>I'm having trouble with outgoing calls on my TB T2500 connected to a
>386 PC running SCO Unix 3.2.2.
>The TB is set to speak to the DTE at any speed, default to 19200. Also
>set to use flow control (S66=1) and RTS/CTS (S58=2; S68=255). Adding
>RTSFLOW CTSFLOW to the ``n'' gettydefs entry doesn't seem to make a
>difference (I believe this is because gettydefs is only for when the
>modem answers a call, not outgoing). Any ideas would be appreciated.

The problem is, you need to lock the DTE/DCE speed at 19200.
Then you set your /etc/gettydefs so that getty will not cycle entries,
i.e. you use the 'n' keyword as next entry in the 'n' line.
This should work fine. Remember to set to 19200 the Devices and Systems
file too.

Hope this helps,

Rick

--