[comp.dcom.modems] TELEBITS OFFICIAL RESPONSE...

cec@cup.portal.com (Cerafin E Castillo) (12/01/90)

I was asked by Mark Huntzinger at TELEBIT to post this official
response, which is also available from TELEBIT in written form.
This letter was also distributed to ALL authorized TELEBIT
distributors to cope with the articles impact on sales.
I hope this is of help to all those inquiring.

===========================  CUT HERE  ==========================

TELEBIT

November 27, 1990

Mr. Bill Machrone
Editor-in-Chief & Publishing Director
PC Magazine
One Park Avenue, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10016

Dear Mr. Machrone:

This letter is in response to your review of the Telebit T2500 modem which
appeared in the December 11, 1990 issue of PC Magazine.  Telebit Corporation
disputes the results of this review and questions the credibility of the
testing.

Author Mike Byrd states, "Because it did not pass the impaired line tests,
we cannot recommend this (Telebit) modem."  Telebit Corporation believes this
conclusion to be flawed and based upon faulty test conditions and procedures.
In fact, it was clearly demonstrated that an aborted PC file transfer caused
the lack of data transfer.  The modem itself did not in any way contribute
to or relate to the author's test difficulties; moreover:

1.	Tests conducted by Telebit technicians and provided by PC Magazine
	verify that incomplete file transfers were caused by a bug in
	HyperAccess/5 software.  Telebit Technicians removed the T2500
	modem from the test setup, established a direct connection; the
	problem continued to occur.  There could not have been any
	element of the difficulty attributable to the Telebit modem.

2.	Telebit's technical support personnel offered several solutions to
	the editors to correct the alleged problem and which would have
	resulted in a successful file transfer over impaired lines.  Telebit
	is at a loss to explain why these solutions were not implemented.

These testing inaccuracies are a disservice to both Telebit Corporation and
the readers of PC Magazine.

Telebit Corporation has earned an outstanding reputation as a leading
manufacturer of high-performance dial-up communications products and we
strongly believe that a full retraction of the erroneous test results is in
order.  Should PC Magazine wish to retest the T2500 or, indeed, test any
Telebit products, Telebit will be more than pleased to provide evaluation
units along with guidance on correct testing configurations and procedures.

Sincerely,

(signature)

Mark Huntzinger
Director, Product Marketing

Telebit Corporation 1315 Chesapeake Terrace, Sunnyvale, CA 94089
408/734-4333 Fax:408/734-3333 Telex 5106012295 1-800-TELEBIT

=================================  CUT HERE  ==============================

Copies of this letter are available from Los Altos Networks, Inc., as
well.  Los Altos Networks, Inc. is an authorized and Stocking TELEBIT
Value Added Distributor.

Cerafin E. Castillo                       ||      //\\  ||\\  ||
Network Consultant                        ||     //__\\ || \\ ||  Los Altos
Los Altos Networks                        ||    // ---\\||  \\||  Networks
340 Second St. #6                         ||___//      \ |   \ |
Los Altos, CA  94022
(415) 941-8031      UUCP:     {apple,sun,uunet}!portal!cup.portal.com!cec
                INTERNET:     cec@cup.portal.com

              "The things I do for the company that shafted me..."

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (12/01/90)

In article <36392@cup.portal.com> cec@cup.portal.com (Cerafin E Castillo) writes:
>I was asked by Mark Huntzinger at TELEBIT to post this official
>response, which is also available from TELEBIT in written form.
>This letter was also distributed to ALL authorized TELEBIT
>distributors to cope with the articles impact on sales.
>I hope this is of help to all those inquiring.

  PC Magazine, self-justifyingly (as they almost always do ) and
many readers are likely to regard such letters as self-serving
proganda from the company. I think a more effective defense could
be mounted by all the satisfied users by collecting an 'electronic
petition' over BBS's and networks and uploading it to PC MAGNET to
their editor's email box, requesting an article or highlighted
review, not just a little correction box.

Jeff Sicherman
up the net without a .sig