[comp.dcom.modems] Intel 9600EX modem

chrisr@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Chris Ringe) (11/24/90)

Can someone please tell me how the Intel 9600 EX stacks up to the USR HST
9600.  I know that the  EX supports v.32 and v.42, but will the two be
compatable talking to each other.  The HST seems to be widely used in the
BBS world.  I want to set up a BBS and wonder if the two will properly
'talk' to each other at 14.4k.

Thanks

+----------------------+---------------------------+----------------------+
|      /// Chris Ringe |  For the CREATIVE MIND!   | or:              /// |
|     ///  St. Albert, |  The Power of the AMIGA   |                 ///  |
| \\\///    Alberta.   |                           | VE6MCP (ham)\\\///   |
|  \XX/      CANADA    |"Commodore's ONLY Computer"|              \XX/    |
+----------------------+-----------------+---------+----------------------+
| NET: ersys!chrisr@nro.cs.athabascau.ca | Packet/NET: VE6MC (Edmonton)   |
+----------------------------------------+--------------------------------+

END OF LINE.

schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) (11/24/90)

>Can someone please tell me how the Intel 9600 EX stacks up to the USR HST
>9600.  I know that the  EX supports v.32 and v.42, but will the two be
>compatable talking to each other.  The HST seems to be widely used in the
>BBS world.  I want to set up a BBS and wonder if the two will properly
>'talk' to each other at 14.4k.

They won't. The only USR modems that will talk to the 9600EX at speeds
above 2400 bps are:
	Courier V.32	Courier V.32bis
	Courier Dual Standard
	Courier Dual Standard V.32bis

(i.e. only the USR modems that have V.32 modulation).

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (11/25/90)

Chris Ringe (ersys!chrisr@nro.cs.athabascau.ca ) wrote:

 >Can someone please tell me how the Intel 9600 EX stacks up to the USR HST
 >9600.  I know that the  EX supports v.32 and v.42, but will the two be
 >compatable talking to each other.  The HST seems to be widely used in the
 >BBS world.  I want to set up a BBS and wonder if the two will properly
 >'talk' to each other at 14.4k.

   I really don't know how to get this accross en masse: the (non-dual) HST
isn't compatible with anything except itself. That is, if it doesn't say
"USRobotics Courier HST" it won't speak to an HST. Period.

   If you want to speak to an HST at 14,400 bps, you're going to have to buy
an HST (or an HST Dual Standard). There is no other way.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Bud 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (11/28/90)

Michael Alan Schuster (schuster@cup.portal.com ) wrote:
 >They won't. The only USR modems that will talk to the 9600EX at
 >speeds above 2400 bps are:
 >        Courier V.32    Courier V.32bis
 >        Courier Dual Standard
 >        Courier Dual Standard V.32bis

 >(i.e. only the USR modems that have V.32 modulation).

   I had not heard an official announcement from USR of V.32bis compatible
modems.

Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (11/30/90)

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:

>   I had not heard an official announcement from USR of V.32bis compatible
>modems.

I saw an article in networking a couple of weeks ago - upgrade
to v.32bis will be $545 - on an exchange basis.

 {larry@nstar, {uunet|backbone}!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) (11/30/90)

>I had not heard an official announcement from USR of V.32bis compatible
>modems.

They showed the modems at COMDEX; that's about as much of an "announcement"
as anyone could ask for.

EXEC-PC has them =online= as they are a beta test site.

bob@ns.UUCP (Robert J. Mathias) (12/01/90)

>   I had not heard an official announcement from USR of V.32bis compatible
>modems.

USR made the announcement  at COMDEX that they will be shipping V.32bis modems
in December.  No rom upgrade will be available for the current USR modems
since the new modems is a new hardware design.

--
Robert J. Mathias, Jr                uucp: ...!uunet!ccicpg!uis-oc!ns.UUCP!bob
Unisys Corporation                   voice: (714) 727-0323

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (12/01/90)

Michael Alan Schuster (schuster@cup.portal.com ) wrote:

>I had not heard an official announcement from USR of V.32bis compatible
>modems.

 >They showed the modems at COMDEX; that's about as much of an
 >"announcement" as anyone could ask for.

   Being a Canadian (and somewhat short of cash), I declined the invitation to
COMDEX and hit the Canadian Computer Show (same week!) in stead. USR had a rep
there, a woman with a downright unfriendly demeanour and *no* info whatsoever.
She seemed more like a cheerleader to pep up the VARs than anything else.

Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553