[comp.dcom.modems] New Modems

evanc@isishq.fidonet.org (Evan Champion) (11/18/90)

I was planning on getting myself a US Robotics Courier HST/Dual Standard, as
it was the most highly recommended by my friends. However, since buying one
of those will "break the bank", I want to make sure I am buying the best for
my money. I like the Dual Standard's 14.4KB, and with v.42bis (I think) that
puts it around 30kb correct? Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Evan

larry@nstar (Larry Snyder) (11/20/90)

evanc@isishq.fidonet.org (Evan Champion) writes:

>I was planning on getting myself a US Robotics Courier HST/Dual Standard, as
>it was the most highly recommended by my friends. However, since buying one
>of those will "break the bank", I want to make sure I am buying the best for
>my money. I like the Dual Standard's 14.4KB, and with v.42bis (I think) that
>puts it around 30kb correct? Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

here on nstar we have one dual standard (without v.42bis) and another one
on order (should be here later this week - but this one will have v.42bis).

The V.32 throughput with uucp sessions runs right around 1150 cps, and around
800 cps when connected to another v.32 without mnp.

HST to HST uucp runs at 350 cps (using "g" protocol) while zmodem transfers
of compressed and/or binary data runs around 1750 cps (pure text runs around
2600 cps).

The Telebits runs around 1350 cps using uucp "g" protocol, and right at
1350 cps using zmodem.

The Telebit modems will hold the line better than the dual standard -

 {larry@nstar, {uunet|backbone}!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (11/21/90)

Evan Champion (evanc@isishq.fidonet.org ) wrote:

 >I like the Dual Standard's 14.4KB, and with v.42bis (I think) that
 >puts it around 30kb correct? Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

   Manufacturers like to quote *potential* data throughput using data
compression. I don't buy it, since much of the marterial passed through these
high-speed links is already compressed. V.42bis will not significantly improve
the throughput of .ZIP or .Z (compress) files.

   I like to concentrate on the *raw* data throughput rate and include, where
appropriate, the gains realized by synchronous framing (that's throwing away
the start & stop bits). In the case of the HST 14.4 (or the Dual Standard),
the raw data rate is 14400 bits/second; using MNP4, that gives theoretical
maximum data transfer rates approaching 1800 CPS *without* compression
(assuming a low-overhead streaming protocol). The number for 9600 bps HSTs and
V.32 modems is approximately 1200 CPS. The number for Telebit TrailBlazers is
somewhere around 1400 CPS, tapering off as line quality degrades.

   Heck, if all you're doing is sending spaces, any of these modems will
transmit the data as fast as you can send it to the modem from the computer,
but that's not a useful benchmark as you will rarely be sending only spaces!

   Geoff

DISCLAIMER: I have not played with V.42bis, and cannot comment on its
effectiveness beyond doubting that it will contribute *much* to precompressed
files. I *have* played with MNP5 (which, as Toby has pointed out, is a vastly
different technique) and usually turn it OFF as soon as I can because I get
better overall performance *without* it.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Bud 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!

bruce@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (11/21/90)

In article <9Naus3w163w@isishq.fidonet.org>, evanc@isishq.fidonet.org (Evan Champion) writes:
> I was planning on getting myself a US Robotics Courier HST/Dual Standard, as
> I like the Dual Standard's 14.4KB, and with v.42bis (I think) that

If all you are going to use it for is to call other such NON-STANDARDS based
modems, the 14.4 mode is fine, but V.32bis is HERE even though the standard
may not be 'finished'.

You can get modems today that HAVE v.32bis, and you can get v.32 modems that
have a simple guaranteed upgrade (proms) to v.32bis. There are many v.32s
being sold that will NEVER be upgradable. If they can guarantee you that they
will upgrade your modem to v.32bis for a modest price, then you *may* have the
right modem. Else, I would worry some more before buying a non-standard
(though popular) modem.

It isn't just what will be in use in the next few months, but what will be
most usable over the next few years that most people worry about when buying
modems.

V.32bis with v.42bis is what you will want until v.32ter (or whatever)
surfaces. Another problem is that even 38.4kb is not enough now, and, unless
you are using a good uart, 38.4 may not work well in many PCs.

There are v.32bis w/v.42bis modems that wholesale probably well below
$700. That means a good 'street' price may not be that much more. I expect
the not-upgradable v.32 class modems to be super bargains in the immediate
future. Some are already very inexpensive (they KNOW what their stuff is
worth...). I remember paying over $2500. for 1200 baud cards when they first
came out. Modems and their pricing always changes, but you can't wait forever.

bruce@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (11/21/90)

In article <9Naus3w163w@isishq.fidonet.org>, evanc@isishq.fidonet.org (Evan Champion) writes:
> I was planning on getting myself a US Robotics Courier HST/Dual Standard, as

The DEC 11 issue of PC Magazine reviews that modem and several other popular
ones. You will probably find it worth reading.

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov19.191023.11581@nstar> larry@nstar (Larry Snyder) writes:

>The Telebit modems will hold the line better than the dual standard -

Interesting -- did you see PC Magazine's comments about the T2500?  They
"couldn't recommend it" because it wouldn't hold the line on noisy
connections.

(I don't mean to slam the T2500, I have one too ...)

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill@unixland.uucp,  bill%unixland.uucp@world.std.com

bob@ns.UUCP (Robert J. Mathias) (11/23/90)

In article <9Naus3w163w@isishq.fidonet.org> evanc@isishq.fidonet.org (Evan Champion) writes:
>I was planning on getting myself a US Robotics Courier HST/Dual Standard, as
>it was the most highly recommended by my friends. However, since buying one
>of those will "break the bank", I want to make sure I am buying the best for
>my money. I like the Dual Standard's 14.4KB, and with v.42bis (I think) that
>puts it around 30kb correct? Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
>
>Evan

The answer to your inquire varies depending on your intended usage.  If you
plan to connect to PC based BBS's, you will find that most of them that
support 9600 and above use USR HST (a number of these BBS's use the Dual
Standard; thus support V32).  If your intended use is for UUCP connections,
I would recommend the TrailBlazer T2500 which supports (PEP, V32).  If you
plan to connect only to a system that has a V32 modem, I would go with either
the Intel or Practical V32 modems.

USR announced at COMDEX that they will be releasing a V32bis modem around
December.  It will come as V32bis only or Dual Standard modem.  V32bis
is the 14.4 CCITT proposed standard.  One advandage to the USR version will
be that when connected to another USR V32bis modem, after the modem has slowed
to a lower speed (due to a bad line); the modem will attempt to go back
up to the higher speed when the line improves.

--
Robert J. Mathias, Jr                       uucp: ...!uunet!ccicpg!uis-oc!ns!bob
Unisys Corporation                         voice: (714) 727-0323

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (11/23/90)

In article <1990Nov21.221114.11850@unixland.uucp>
	bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>Interesting -- did you see PC Magazine's comments about the T2500?  They
>"couldn't recommend it" because it wouldn't hold the line on noisy
>connections.

Then they did not run their tests in PEP mode.

--
Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |  We was raising insurance premiums, ma.
Unicom Systems Development    |  We was spreading fear of arson.

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (11/24/90)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>Interesting -- did you see PC Magazine's comments about the T2500?  They
>"couldn't recommend it" because it wouldn't hold the line on noisy
>connections.

That's not what happens in real applications - ask around - and you'll
find Telebits maintaining links around the world.

Did you see the review of 9600 baud modems in PC Week?  The telebit's
lost out primarily due to their lack of supporting a DTE speed of
38400 - while the USR V.32 and HST DS modems actually came out well..

tonyl@ivysoft.UUCP (Regular Tony Lin id as normal user) (11/25/90)

In article <9Naus3w163w@isishq.fidonet.org> evanc@isishq.fidonet.org (Evan Champion) writes:
>I was planning on getting myself a US Robotics Courier HST/Dual Standard, as
>it was the most highly recommended by my friends. However, since buying one
>of those will "break the bank", I want to make sure I am buying the best for
>my money. I like the Dual Standard's 14.4KB, and with v.42bis (I think) that
>puts it around 30kb correct? Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
>
>Evan

Two additional thoughts may help you buy your modem:

	1. PC Magazine, December 11, 1990, has a good article comparing all high
	   speed modems.  They chose Multi-Tech's modem as the 'Editor's
	   Choice.'

	2. If you want to use your high speed modem for UUCP, wouldn't the
	   TELEBIT be a better choice because it has PEP protocal support?
	   But be aware of the fact that PC Magazine said it failed in their
	   impaired line tests.

Tony Lin

devil@techunix.BITNET (Gil Tene) (11/26/90)

>Interesting -- did you see PC Magazine's comments about the T2500?  They
>"couldn't recommend it" because it wouldn't hold the line on noisy
>connections.

Well, I wonder If they plugged it in right, or did thay plug it in
at all? ;-)

I don't know of PC Magazine tests, but I know this:

I am using a TB2500 for an overseas connection 1/3 the way around
the globe. The line is VERY noisy, it has my TB running at "only"
350-700 Bytes/sec. I can get a connection almost every time
and hardly ever loose it. I have tried several other connections,
including 1200,2400 (w and w/o MNP) and 9600 V.32, I have not been
able to keep anything other than a TB2500 with PEP on the line
for more than 30 seconds (actually, there was this one 300 baud
modem...). PEP splits the line up to 512 different bands, and
uses the clean ones. This makes it much more tolerant to line noise
than normal modems.

If TB2500 aren't good enough to hold the lines on noisy connections,
then I would recommend against modems in general, since I haven't seen
anything BETTER.

-- Gil.
| Gil Tene                      "Some days it just doesn't pay     |
| devil@techunix.technion.ac.il   to go to sleep in the morning."  |

In article <1990Nov21.221114.11850@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>Interesting -- did you see PC Magazine's comments about the T2500?  They
>"couldn't recommend it" because it wouldn't hold the line on noisy
>connections.

I'm not sure what mode they were using it in, but in PEP mode the T2500
holds the line better than any of the V.32s that I have tried (including
the T2500 itself in v.32 mode).

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

msp33327@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael S. Pereckas) (11/26/90)

In <9842@discus.technion.ac.il> devil@techunix.BITNET (Gil Tene) writes:

>>Interesting -- did you see PC Magazine's comments about the T2500?  They
>>"couldn't recommend it" because it wouldn't hold the line on noisy
>>connections.
>>

>Well, I wonder If they plugged it in right, or did thay plug it in
>at all? ;-)

>I am using a TB2500 for an overseas connection 1/3 the way around
>the globe. The line is VERY noisy, it has my TB running at "only"
>350-700 Bytes/sec. I can get a connection almost every time
>and hardly ever loose it. I have tried several other connections,
>including 1200,2400 (w and w/o MNP) and 9600 V.32, I have not been
>able to keep anything other than a TB2500 with PEP on the line
>for more than 30 seconds (actually, there was this one 300 baud
>modem...). PEP splits the line up to 512 different bands, and
>uses the clean ones. This makes it much more tolerant to line noise
>than normal modems.

The PC Mag article is primarily about V.32.  It is not clear to what
extent they tested PEP.  What is your experience with V.32?

Michael Pereckas               * InterNet: m-pereckas@uiuc.edu *
just another student...          (CI$: 72311,3246)
Jargon Dept.: Decoupled Architecture--sounds like the aftermath of a tornado

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (11/26/90)

The PC Mag test was measuring the ability to hold the line
when using V.32/V.42/V.42bis and not PEP.

This makes all of the difference.

- JEFF

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (11/27/90)

In article <5@ivysoft.UUCP> tonyl@.UUCP (Regular Tony Lin id as normal user) writes:
>In article <9Naus3w163w@isishq.fidonet.org> evanc@isishq.fidonet.org (Evan Champion) writes:
>>I was planning on getting myself a US Robotics Courier HST/Dual Standard, as
>>it was the most highly recommended by my friends.

Depends.. do your friends know a lot about modems in general?

>	2. If you want to use your high speed modem for UUCP, wouldn't the
>	   TELEBIT be a better choice because it has PEP protocal support?
>	   But be aware of the fact that PC Magazine said it failed in their
>	   impaired line tests.

Eh?  How?  By *ALL* reports I've heard, and *ALL* the testing I've done
with telebit's they work excellently on "impaired lines".  My first test
was to pick up an extension line and start whistling and playing my
Casio keyboard into the phone and etc.  This was back in the "v4" days,
surely it's gotten better with v5 ROMs?  At any rate, the only effect
was to slow the transmission down a bit ..

*every* other modem I've worked with, admittadly only 300-2400 baud modems,
would die immediately the first time a weird sound would be heard.

There have been numerous reports here of Trailblazers being used to
connect with *all* *sorts* of Weird Places -- Chile, India, over satellite
to the Antarctica or ships at sea, etc.  And it "just works" -- often
these reports are accompanied by saying that some V.32 modem was tried
first and couldn't even connect up.

The advantages of PEP are basically that the modems are frequently
sampling the line & adjusting themselves in *small* increments to
fit the characteristics of the connection.  This is good because
the adjustments are much less drastic than on, for instance, V.32
where you go 9600->4800->dead, or even V.32bis where it will be
14.4->9.6->7.2->4.8->dead.  It also helps in making and keeping connections
in bad conditions.

The only downfalls of PEP are

1-- it's not a "standard" .. regardless of the fact that it's a Very Good
	protocol.  That's worth something.  Especially now that V.32 chipsets
	are out allowing for these inexpensive V.32 modems coming on
	the market lately.
2-- It's half-duplex.  The rapid-turnaround mode is a help, but I haven't
	ever used v5 ROMs so I don't know what improvements were in them.
	Still -- the UUCP spoofing is extra development cost & effort that
	wouldn't be necessary of it were full-duplex.

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

cec@cup.portal.com (Cerafin E Castillo) (11/28/90)

Just for your information, TELEBIT will be announcing a new, low-cost
V.32 modems in the next 1-2 months based on their own DSP implementation.
From what I've been told by TELEBIT, it will be a while before this new
modem has V.32bis or the V.32 Rockwell option (12 kbps) enabled in any of
its current, new, or future modems.  With the T1500 currently at a
$1095 list price, and the T1000 at $795 list, I would look for the
new modem, T1600, to be at $895 list.  Not much of a help to those
competing in the V.32 modem wars...

The T1600 is V.32 only, not PEP capable at all.  It is the second generation
of TELEBIT technology.  It makes room for some spectacular new products
that will change a lot of the way modems are used in bus-based systems.
The T1600 also features a 'true' 38.4 kbps interface.

Hope this helps.

Cerafin E. Castillo                       ||      //\\  ||\\  ||
Network Consultant                        ||     //__\\ || \\ ||  Los Altos
Los Altos Networks                        ||    // ---\\||  \\||  Networks
340 Second St. #6                         ||___//      \ |   \ |
Los Altos, CA  94022
(415) 941-8031      UUCP:     {apple,sun,uunet}!portal!cup.portal.com!cec
                INTERNET:     cec@cup.portal.com

                      "...No hay mal que por bien no venga..."

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (11/28/90)

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
> 2-- It's half-duplex.  The rapid-turnaround mode is a help, but I haven't
> 	ever used v5 ROMs so I don't know what improvements were in them.
> 	Still -- the UUCP spoofing is extra development cost & effort that
> 	wouldn't be necessary of it were full-duplex.

Actually, I believe that each of the 512 subchannels that PEP uses can
be either send or receive, so you *could* (in theory) split the line
into two 6Kbps pieces and send data in both directions.  The
Trailblazer doesn't usually do this, because there's usually much more
data flowing in one direction than the other.

Also, the UUCP spoofing would be useful even if it was full-duplex.
The UUCP 'g' protocol will top out at around 700cps on a 9600bps link,
simply because of the protocol overhead and the time necessary for an
ACK to get to the other end.  With the UUCP spoofing, ACKs only have
to go from the serial port to the modem, so things are much faster.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov26.062122.24546@sbcs.sunysb.edu> altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>The PC Mag test was measuring the ability to hold the line
>when using V.32/V.42/V.42bis and not PEP.

That's not what the article says.  Quoting here: "The Telebit modem
did not perform well under any of our degraded-line tests using
either its V.32 or PEP mode."  However, beyond this statement, there
were no further references indicating that the reviewers used or
tested PEP.

I'd like to throw in that the article unauspiciously contained the
following in its opening paragraph: "The latest modem turbochargers
center on new V.32, V.42, and V.42bis error-checking and
data-compression protocols, yielding throughput rates of 9,600,
19,600, [sic] and even 38,400 bits per second over dial-up telephone
lines."  Fortunately, they later pointed out that V.32 is not an
error-checking or data-compression protocol.  They also measured
throughput with a nebulous "kilobits per second" rather than a more
usable bytes per second.
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (11/28/90)

Marc Unangst (mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us ) wrote:

 >david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
> 2-- It's half-duplex.  The rapid-turnaround mode is a help, but I haven't
>       ever used v5 ROMs so I don't know what improvements were in them.
>       Still -- the UUCP spoofing is extra development cost & effort that
>       wouldn't be necessary of it were full-duplex.

 >Actually, I believe that each of the 512 subchannels that PEP uses
 >can
 >be either send or receive, so you *could* (in theory) split the line
 >into two 6Kbps pieces and send data in both directions.  The
 >Trailblazer doesn't usually do this, because there's usually much
 >more data flowing in one direction than the other.

   In theory, this could be done. It would probably be a vast improvement to
the TB+ interactive capability if it split the channels based on dynamically
monitored adta flow statistics.

   However, the TB does in fact send data in only one direction at a time. Some
Telebit propoganda leads me to believe that there is a backchannel, but
experience leads me to believe that it would be used only for PEP-related
information (e.g. ACK/NAKing of PEP blocks) and not at all for user data.

 >Also, the UUCP spoofing would be useful even if it was full-duplex.
 >The UUCP 'g' protocol will top out at around 700cps on a 9600bps
 >link,
 >simply because of the protocol overhead and the time necessary for an
 >ACK to get to the other end.  With the UUCP spoofing, ACKs only have
 >to go from the serial port to the modem, so things are much faster.

   Absolutely. I remember some old Microcom propoganda mentioning protocol
spoofing, but I don't see it mentioned in their current Qx/V.32c spec sheet.

Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553

hall@state.enet.dec.com (Dan Hall) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.042729.8077@jwt.UUCP>, john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples)
|> From: john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples)
|> Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems
|> Subject: Re: New Modems
|>
|> >The PC Mag test was measuring the ability to hold the line
|> >when using V.32/V.42/V.42bis and not PEP.
|>
|> That's not what the article says.  Quoting here: "The Telebit modem
|> did not perform well under any of our degraded-line tests using
|> either its V.32 or PEP mode."  However, beyond this statement, there
|> were no further references indicating that the reviewers used or
|> tested PEP.

You missed another small oblique reference.  Quoting from page 329:

"Unfortunately, the Telebit modems were not able to complete the data
transfer tests under any of the EIA-standard impairment conditions.
We saw similar problems using these modems under their native PEP mode."

The article included 3-D bar graphs showing throughput of various file
types, and except for the baseline tests, there were conspicuous holes
where the Telebit performance should have been, because of their inability
to complete any of the 1V32 through 6V32 impairment tests.  BTW, someone
asked recently what those tests are.  They are combinational channel
impairment tests established by the EIA for V.32 modems, as described in
EIA/TIA standard 496-A.  The baseline tests used by PC Magazine simulated
a typical U.S. long-distance circuit, with the following impairment levels:

Input level:	-10 dBm
Output level:	-23 dBm
IMD, 2nd-level:	 52 dB
IMD, 3rd-level:  50 dB
Frequency shift: 1.25 Hz
Phase jitter:	 8 degrees

No level for white noise was given (should have been about 32 dBrn), nor
did they mention any gain or delay filtering (flat line?).

|> John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

-Dan
 =_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=
 Dan Hall                         | Telecommunications & Networks/EIC
 Digital Equipment Corporation    | ARPAnet: hall@state.enet.dec.com
 Continental Blvd.                | EASYnet: STATE::HALL
 MKO1-2/H10, PO Box 430           | Usenet : ....!decwrl!state.dec.com!hall
 Merrimack, NH  03054-0430        | N.E.T. : (603) 884-5879
 =_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=

roberson@aurs01.UUCP (Charles "Chip" Roberson) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov26.062122.24546@sbcs.sunysb.edu> altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:

>The PC Mag test was measuring the ability to hold the line
>when using V.32/V.42/V.42bis and not PEP.
>
>This makes all of the difference.
>
>- JEFF

I picked up the PC Mag article because I'm considering the purchase of
a high speed modem.  I was leaning towards the T2500 since I
definitely want to support UUCP.  However, I also want to have as much
compatibility and throughput as possible with the rest of the bunch.
The PC Mag article was good at clarifying the standards but it muddied
the waters for me on which modem I want to purchase.  In fact, I'm
beginning to think there is no single modem that fits my needs.

Could someone the significance of the T2500 not being able to hold the
line when using V.32/V.42/V.42bis?

Thanks,
 -chip
* Work:  2912 Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC 27609  (919) 850-5011
* (...!mcnc!aurgate!roberson) || (roberson%aurgate@mcnc.org) ||
* (71500.2056@CompuServe.com) || (Chip.Roberson@f112.n151.z1.fidonet.org)
#include <disclaimer.h>

max@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Max Southall) (11/29/90)

In possible defence of Telebit and their modems' failure to measure up in
the PC Mag tests, I believe it was Byte editor Phil Lemmons who wrote a
special editorial a few years ago pointing out that reviews are often
influenced by advertisers' input. Often, reviews are linked to advertising
"spreads" by customers, and those not participating in the ad campaign often
don't receive reviews at all, or ones they wouldn't want to quote to
customers. At the time, Lemmons called for the computer press to clean up
its dismal act, of which he gave numerous examples. At the time, Byte was
a very different rag than it is now, not just a product review advertising
manual, so I don't know if even Byte has succumbed. Certainly, Lemmons is
no longer editor, and Steve Ciarcia with his real technical know-how was
forced out too. Maybe we should ask Jerry Pournelle to do a *real* test!

pizzi@esacs.UUCP (Riccardo Pizzi) (11/29/90)

#include <std/disclaimer.h>

In article <1715@chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>In article <1990Nov21.221114.11850@unixland.uucp>
>	bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>>Interesting -- did you see PC Magazine's comments about the T2500?  They
>>"couldn't recommend it" because it wouldn't hold the line on noisy
>>connections.
>Then they did not run their tests in PEP mode.

I *never* trust magazine's tests and recensions...
I am always afraid the tests could be bribed...

Rick

--
Riccardo Pizzi @ ESA Software, Rimini, ITALY
e-mail: pizzi%esacs@relay.EU.net -or- root@xtc.sublink.org

atman@ecst.csuchico.edu (Homeless hacker) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov29.040945.23924@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> max@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Max Southall) writes:
>forced out too. Maybe we should ask Jerry Pournelle to do a *real* test!

What?  All we would get would be 7 pages of cute anecdotes, his reasons
for giving the various modems names like "Big Eunice," and no real data!

(I saw no smiley, I assume you are serious.)

paul@frcs.UUCP (Paul Nash) (12/02/90)

Thus spake hall@state.enet.dec.com (Dan Hall):

> You missed another small oblique reference.  Quoting from page 329:

> "Unfortunately, the Telebit modems were not able to complete the data
> transfer tests under any of the EIA-standard impairment conditions.
> We saw similar problems using these modems under their native PEP mode."

While I am not a telecoms engineer, magazine scribe or salesperson, this
is in direct conflict with my personal experiences.  I live on a farm,
so phone lines are not very good, and have three v22bis modems and a
T2500.  I have had various V32 modems aswell (some costing about double
the price of the T2500) and have only found two reliable modems (that
will connect at the highest speed possible and hang on until the end
NOMATTER WHAT).  These are the Racal vi2422 (v22bis) and the T2500.

The others have all died on bad lines, either not connecting or
losing the connection before a transfer (~20 minutes) is complete.
The most reliable v32 modem (a MultiTech) had a dud connection rate
of about 7 in 10 (ie: 7 duds in 10 attempts), with the best v22bis
(Octocomm) getting about 5 in 10 (ie: 50% success).

Your mileage might vary, but rather than relying in PC Magazine, try
to get a few modems on loan, borrow, whatever and actually try them.
I realise that this is an innovative concept, but it will tell you
which modem will work on YOUR lines.

 ---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---
Paul Nash			    Flagship Wide Area Networks (Pty) Ltd
paul@frcs.UUCP				...!uunet!ddsw1!proxima!frcs!paul

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (12/05/90)

In article <2038@mountn.dec.com> hall@state.enet.dec.com writes:
>EIA/TIA standard 496-A.  The baseline tests used by PC Magazine simulated
>a typical U.S. long-distance circuit, with the following impairment levels:
>
>Input level:	-10 dBm
>Output level:	-23 dBm
>IMD, 2nd-level:	 52 dB
>IMD, 3rd-level:  50 dB
>Frequency shift: 1.25 Hz
>Phase jitter:	 8 degrees
>
>No level for white noise was given (should have been about 32 dBrn), nor

Those are pretty benign impairment levels for a V.32 modem.
Most I have tested (With the TAS 1010) tolerate CONSIDERABLY
more noise than that...including single tone interference only a
few dB below xmitter level at 1004, 2600, 1800 Hz...

What DOES separate the world-class V.32's from the commodity
products is their ability to tolerate amplitude jitter and phase
roll (loosely described as an echo that is constantly being
shifted in phase...) typical on satellite or transoceanic
connections...although BOTH of these impairments are pretty rare
in North America..and quite common on international circuits.

Have yet to find a V.32 that can tolerate Gain Hits of more than
a dB or so..even if the change results in staying totally within
the dynamic range of the partner's receivers....

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (12/05/90)

>In article <1990Nov29.040945.23924@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> max@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Max Southall) writes:
>>forced out too. Maybe we should ask Jerry Pournelle to do a *real* test!
A major problem with typical "modem tests" is that the tester
personell do not have knowledge of real world phone networks and
the types of impairments that actually exist.  An almost as
common failure is lack of suitable protocol analysis equipment
to determine whether failed connections are the fault of the
modem or the DTE (and driving software) in the test.

The EIA test suites address PART of the first issue...lack of
Telco knowledge, but IMHO very inadequately.

The second part DTE vs DCE requires expertise, as the techniques
many modems use to STAY on an impaired connection will actually
trigger (improperly written) disconnections on the part of the
external machines used for the testing.  Many so-called faulures
are actually mismatches between the computer and the modems
techniques.

Use of a "reference" modem to guide results interpretations is
HIGHLY recommended....but gaining a scientifically reliable
reference point requires hundreds of man hours...as direct
head-head comparisons on known impaired lines with a
statistically significant sample are required....as 10
successive dial attempts between any given pair of end points
are fairly likely to traverse 10 differing physical routes...and
each attempt requires analysis to determine whether the modems
or the DTE's caused the disconnect--and even then whether it was
the modem's or DTE's (software typically) fault.

In qualification testing at a prior employer for international
V.32 modems, NONE of the Rockwell chipset units could compete on
satellite circuits (simulated and actual) with the proprietary
DSP implementations from the international vendors.  This is NOT
a negative comment on the Rockwell chips tho...because the
variation between the best of the Rockwell based units and the
proprietary DSP units was very slight...and on connections more
typical of using barbed wire or railroad tracks as circuit
carriers...

The more non-intuitive results were between differing vendors
using the SAME rev. level Rockwell chips... almost orders of
magnitude difference in thru-put or connectivity on impaired
ckts...   Largely those vendors with strong backgrounds or
engineers with real-world telco experience had far better
products than those who learned phone lines by using a simulator
or a textbook.

ALL of the vendors used EXACTLY the same telco Simulator and
series of tests...it is just that the use of a Telco network
Simulator requires considerable expertise and
interpretation...skills sadly lacking in many modem (AND P.C
testing magazines..IMHO) vendors.

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (12/05/90)

  Perhaps, some(one) ought to put together a test suite of real-world
horror circuits for announced modems to be checked against for some
extended period instead of going by only lab testing on simulators.

Jeff Sicherman

jimmy_t@verifone.com (12/07/90)

In article <136549@pyramid.pyramid.com>, lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) writes:

> What DOES separate the world-class V.32's from the commodity
> products is their ability to tolerate amplitude jitter and phase
> roll (loosely described as an echo that is constantly being
> shifted in phase...) typical on satellite or transoceanic
> connections...although BOTH of these impairments are pretty rare
> in North America..and quite common on international circuits.

Which are the the "world-class" V.32 modems you've found?

Thanks.

--
|  James H. Thompson                 |   jimmy_t@verifone.com    (Internet) |