[comp.dcom.modems] Zmodem options

aburt@isis.cs.du.edu (Andrew Burt) (12/18/90)

I could swear I saw this recently... optimal settings for sz for 9600 bps+
modems.  But I can't find it now!  Argh!  Help...

What are some recommended settings for -L, -l, -w...?  With 'cat' I get
about 1700 cps (MNP5 with 9600), no errors, but zmodem poops out with
timeouts, sub-packet too longs, etc.; various tests wit -Llw get me at
best 780 cps, even on the same text.  (No zmodem compression on, either.)
With MNP off, it peaks about 1000 cps (ok, so I expect this).  With MNP
on other systems (not using sz, but zmodem) it gets more like 1100, and
I hear tales of 1650.

Hmmph.  So, any favorite choices for -Llw?
--
Andrew Burt 				   			uunet!isis!aburt
								or aburt@du.edu

                            "Kwyjibo on the loose!"

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (12/19/90)

-
-What are some recommended settings for -L, -l, -w...?  With 'cat' I get
-about 1700 cps (MNP5 with 9600), no errors, but zmodem poops out with
-timeouts, sub-packet too longs, etc.; various tests wit -Llw get me at
-best 780 cps, even on the same text.  (No zmodem compression on, either.)

With no mention of your environment, I can't make specific
suggestions.  I suggest you study the "Flow Control" and
"Protocol File Transfers" chapters in the Professional-YAM
user manual for solutions.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF

aburt@isis.cs.du.edu (Andrew Burt) (12/19/90)

In article <24@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
>In article <1990Dec18.025009.21233@isis.cs.du.edu> aburt@isis.cs.du.edu (Andrew Burt) writes:
>-What are some recommended settings for -L, -l, -w...?  With 'cat' I get
>-about 1700 cps (MNP5 with 9600), no errors, but zmodem poops out with
>-timeouts, sub-packet too longs, etc.; various tests wit -Llw get me at
>-best 780 cps, even on the same text.  (No zmodem compression on, either.)

>...I suggest you study the "Flow Control" and
>"Protocol File Transfers" chapters in the Professional-YAM
>user manual for solutions.

As I pointed out to Chuck by mail -- I don't own pro-yam, nor can I buy
it just for the manual.  I'm using his sz/rz (3.07 of 2-2-90) that is given
out for net use with "no strings" (no money needed to use).  The system
I run is a public access Unix system with no financial support at all;
Chuck seems intent on my buying something from (or for) him before he'll help.

Fine, but no can do.  So the question is still open, netlanders!  Even
though the relevant chapters may tell me what I need to know, I can't
read them.

(And, BTW, there are no relevant options on the PC end; it gets
great performance speaking to zmodem's other than sz on a Unix system (e.g.,
another telix).)

I have cts/rts flow control enabled on both ends, and xon/off disabled.

So what do others use to get maximum throughput from sz to, e.g., telix on a PC?
--

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/20/90)

aburt@isis.cs.du.edu (Andrew Burt) writes:

>As I pointed out to Chuck by mail -- I don't own pro-yam, nor can I buy
>it just for the manual.  I'm using his sz/rz (3.07 of 2-2-90) that is given
>out for net use with "no strings" (no money needed to use).  The system
>I run is a public access Unix system with no financial support at all;
>Chuck seems intent on my buying something from (or for) him before he'll help.

We have ProYam here on nstar, and have it linked to sz, rz, sb, rb, etc. - and
we get 1430 on the PEP modems, and 1950 with the HST (with v.42bis) on zipped
files.

All of our modems are locked at either 19200 or 38400 with hardware flow
control enabled.

  {larry@nstar.rn.com, uunet!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@sharkey.cc.umich.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

lee@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Bob Lee) (12/20/90)

	I use sz -brL 1024 -w 4096 files.  This took care of the problems
	you mentioned.