[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit Modems, NetBlazer, & IP Spoofing...

cec@cup.portal.com (Cerafin E Castillo) (12/20/90)

alvin@cup.portal.com writes:
>A friend and I bought Telebit T2500 modems about three months ago.  We have
>never gotten them to work anywhere near what they are supposed to do.
>[deleted]
>I spent about 14 hours a day seven days a week for three weeks trying to
>get it to work. Best results are about 4800 baud telebit to telebit.
>[deleted]
>Called customer service and asked if there was a bulleting board that I
>could call to practice on. They said no, they used to have one but shut it
>down.
>[deleted]
>My experience was that you read the manual and found that you have about
>a hundred switches...   Essentially, all wrong combination = failure.
>I read a lot on the net, and it is apparent that if one can find the right
>combination the machine is one of the best on the market for its purposes.
>
>alvin

A Telebit modem can be a very high-priced introduction to Data Communications.
It is most definitely not for the 'faint-of-heart'.  I don't know how many
times I have read or heard this very same story, while I was with Telebit
and now that I am no longer there.  As I have stated before, in reality there
are only about 85 S-registers in the Telebit modem of which only 15 are
truely needed for configuration of the modem, IN UNIX ENVIRONMENTS!  For
home PC use, the number of registers needed are considerably less.  I would
never describe any Telebit modem as "plug-and-play".  I don't think the manual
helps much either.  Telebit's lack of a BBS is strange.  There is no BBS
which offers UUCP or open login; BUT there is a demonstration system which
is based on HyperACCESS software and normally is used with the Telebit
Demonstration System (TDS- a watered-down version of HyperACCESS...) which
is available from Telebit (to their vendors and from their vendors to end
users ???) for about < $50.  This system normally has a T2500 GF7.00 modem
on it, from the last time I used it.  I'm surprised Tech Support didn't
mention this system or software testing option.

I fear that loyal Telebit modem users will respond to your posting with
the usual high praise and application stories, or maybe PCMag-style usage
problems and empathy.  I would like to offer my services, as an authorized
Telebit VAR in making your modem work for you.  Fellow net users who have
read my postings have sent e-mail with specifics as to their Telebit problems.
Please do not hesitate to do the same, everybody, I will do my best to answer
via e-mail or phone.  Yes, I know what kind of onslaught I am risking; while
at Telebit I received no less than 50 e-mails a month regarding support
issues.  I'm sorry to hear that this e-mail support has seemingly fallen by
the wayside at Telebit.

bob@MorningStar.Com writes:

>>In article <36853@cup.portal.com> cec@cup.portal.com (Cerafin E Castillo)
>>writes:
>>   SLIP spoofing, from what Telebit has told me, will never exist.
>>   the Telebit NetBlazer is the current SLIP/CSLIP/PPP solution
>>   offered by Telebit.
>>
>These are two different issues!  One decides which bits to put on the
>wire, the other is the IP circuit handling logic.
> [deleted]
>A NetBlazer would indeed be a good thing to have in your office, on
>the receiving end of all the remote workers' dialins.  It would also
>be a good thing for use between geographically-separated office sites
>that have occasional traffic, configured for on-demand connections.
>
>But even the base model is a little expensive for use with a single
>host, which is all most folks have at home...[deleted]
>It's better for that case to implement on-demand dialup IP under that
>host's native operating system.  I'd be surprised if a future KA9Q or
>NCSA or UNIX PPP implementation didn't contain that logic.
>[deleted]
>...The NetBlazer is just a smart router box that still needs to
>put the bits on the wire, and that's a modem's job.  All the
>performance attributes of PEP or V.32/V.42/V.42bis will still be
>apparent (is that a nice way to put it? :-).  Only the IP circuits
>will be easier to manage.

I am in complete agreement with these observations.  From the viewpoint of
a skilled Sys Admin or programmer, dial-up IP is fairly simple to implement
(caveat:  depending on which system and what dial-up IP protocol ;-).  While
at Telebit, this project's focus was to bring dial-up IP capabilities to those
users not skilled in dial-up IP implementation nor modem use.  Furthermore,
there was, at the time, a problem in obtaining source/binaries from the
Internet or Internet sites for non-Internet/non-UUCP sites and end-users.
AND those users stuck with non-UNIX systems OR lack of UNIX sources (license)
who could not install the dial-up IP drivers were also tired of waiting for
dial-up IP capabilities.  For all these people, the NetBlazer's modem
management, modem resource sharing, dial-up IP virtual circuits, TCP/IP-
Inverse Muxing (TCP/IP-IM), and the ability to have ethernet, modems, and
56 Kbps interfaces on one box; makes dial-up IP a viable option or reality.
The cost is high to the end-user (home system user), this is true, but
I am confident that dial-up IP virtual circuit capabilities will be
available, quite soon, both inside and outside of freeware-based solutions.
TCP/IP-IM gives a good, but expensive, alternative to single modem usage
with dial-up IP and the ability to add to this Integrated Communications
System (ICS), as your WAN needs grow (ie modems, 56 Kbps) keeps this
product from being completely outdated (I wish this was the case with ALL
Telebit upgradeable products...:-(.

billg@hitachi.UUCP writes:

>> A NetBlazer would indeed be a good thing to have in your office, on
>>
>> But even the base model is a little expensive for use with a single
>
>But if a user has a Sun at home, or anything that supports SLIP, they
>won't need a NetBlazer, just an expensive, for now, modem.
>
>Bill Gundry

I also agree, but SLIP is S-L-O-W!  I think that CSLIP (VJ hdr Compression)
and PPP with VJ hdr comp., are better alternatives.  KA9Q [NOS] (PPP.12)
has been the best program that I have used (in DOS) to do all of these
protocols.  Thanks, Katie Stevens!  The RTS/CTS flow control option makes
this program modem friendly and PPP is a definite plus!  I hope that this
is one of the first programs to get virtual circuit capabilities for
NetBlazer compatibility, as well as being ported and supported in more
systems!

--Please accept my apologies for so much verbage and any marginally sounding
sales plugs.  This posting is meant to be informational.

Cerafin E. Castillo                       ||      //\\  ||\\  ||
Network Consultant                        ||     //__\\ || \\ ||  Los Altos
Los Altos Networks                        ||    // ---\\||  \\||  Networks
340 Second St. #6                         ||___//      \ |   \ |
Los Altos, CA  94022
(415) 941-8031      UUCP:     {apple,sun,uunet}!portal!cup.portal.com!cec
                INTERNET:     cec@cup.portal.com

                      "...No hay mal que por bien no venga..."