[comp.dcom.modems] High Speed Modems

epm0@bunny.UUCP (Erik Mintz) (12/12/86)

I am looking for a pair of high speed modems (for dial-up lines).

From what I can tell, 2400 baud (CCITT v22bis standard) is fairly
reliable.  Are some brands more robust than others?

4800 baud is more mysterious.  I believe that the applicable
CCITT standard is v27ter, but I haven't heard anything about
whether they really work or not. Can anyone help?

berger@clio.Uiuc.ARPA (12/17/86)

Yes, some brands are more robust than others.  I highly recommend
NEC - I think they make the finest modems available, and the most
fully featured.  They also boast a 5 year parts and labor warranty.

Stay away from US Robotics and Anchor at all costs.

You'll pay a premium for a good modem in any case.  A high quality
commercial grade modem costs twice as much as the cheap plastic
hobbyist variety.

Educational institutions get substantial discounts on NEC modems.

			mike berger
			center for advanced study
			university of illinois
			{ihnp4, convex, pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (12/18/86)

I am highly pleased with the Racal-Vadic 2400/1200/300 triples with MNP.
The MNP was about $50 extra on a $699 modem card (4224 E-P).  These are
industrial strength modems.

         Paul Pomes

UUCP:    {ihnp4,seismo,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!paul
ARPANET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu   CSNET:  paul%uxc@uiuc.csnet
ICBM:    40 07 N / 88 13 W       BITNET: paul@uiucuxc
US Mail: Univ of Illinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801

csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) (12/18/86)

In article <18600003@clio> berger@clio.Uiuc.ARPA writes:
>Yes, some brands are more robust than others.  I highly recommend
>NEC - I think they make the finest modems available, and the most
>fully featured.  They also boast a 5 year parts and labor warranty.
>
>Stay away from US Robotics and Anchor at all costs.

I keep seeing postings from Universities praising the NEC 2340. Are we talking
about the same modem, folks? I've had dozens of modems in for evaluation and
production use, and I wouldn't recommend the NEC 2340 to my worst enemy.

No amount of fiddling could get it to handle the RS-232 modem control lines
correctly. It has firmware bugs. Autobauding (sensing the "AT" string) isn't
reliable. Connections at 2400 don't always "catch," produce gibberish, or fall
back unnecessarilly. The modem crashes regularly and needs to be power-cycled.
It lacks useful features of the Hayes and USR (like flash and answer wait),
and call progress monitoring was implemented in a way that convential Hayes
software could not use it. The front-panel LEDs are inadaquate.

The standalone version is built like a brick; I broke a toe when I dropped the
modem on my foot. (Which doesn't help my opinion any. :-)) But encasing a me-
diocre modem in steel does not make it better than a good modem encased in
plastic. I'd take a USR Courier any day. Better yet, a Telenetics Smart Team
24S. It really is Hayes compatible, really is reliable, and really is rugged.
Unfortunately it's expensive, and I don't know about the reliability of the
company.

The NEC 2340 modems I had were borrowed from a customer, so I know they were
real (not preproduction samples). I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who can
prove to me that my units were unusual.

<csg>

ehrlich@psuvax1.UUCP (Dan Ehrlich) (12/19/86)

In article <798@bunny.UUCP> epm0@bunny.UUCP (Erik Mintz) writes:
>I am looking for a pair of high speed modems (for dial-up lines).
>
>From what I can tell, 2400 baud (CCITT v22bis standard) is fairly
>reliable.  Are some brands more robust than others?
>
>4800 baud is more mysterious.  I believe that the applicable
>CCITT standard is v27ter, but I haven't heard anything about
>whether they really work or not. Can anyone help?

Have you check out a high speed modem manufactured by TeleBit (somewhere
in Georgia)?  The claim to be able to get 13Kb over unconditioned lines.
This modem is not cheap, ~$2K-$3K, but if you are trying to move a lot of
data it makes sense.  I do not believe that they use a CCITT standard, so
if that is a concern just ignore this message.  N.B. The modem is also
marketed by the IRMA people under the name FastLink.

--Daniel Ehrlich
UUCP:     {burdvax,cbosgd,cmcl2,pitt,ihnp4}!psuvax1!ehrlich
CSNET:    ehrlich@penn-state.csnet  USPS: The Pennsylvania State University
INTERNET: ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu         Department of Computer Science
BITNET:   ehrlich@psuvax1.bitnet          333 Whitmore Laboratory
BELL:     +1 814 863 1142                 University Park, PA   16802
Quote: "The sky is blue so we know where to stop mowing."  Judge Harold T. Stone
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not reflect the
            opinions, or policies, of The Pennsylvania State University or the
            Department of Computer Science.

dbb@aicchi.UUCP (Burch) (12/26/86)

In article <18600003@clio> berger@clio.Uiuc.ARPA writes:

>Stay away from US Robotics and Anchor at all costs.

Well!  This is in my experience a completely unjustified statement with
regard to USR modems!  I know nothing about Anchor, but I have seen USR
password modems in 24 hour 7 day service in a business environment.  These
modems rarely gave a problem, and when they did, the fault was with the
AC adaptor.

I niether work for USR, nor do I consult to them.  I just want to put in
my two cents worth...
--
-David B. (Ben) Burch
 Analysts International Corp.

"Argue for your limitations, and they are yours"

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (12/29/86)

In article <18600003@clio> berger@clio.Uiuc.ARPA writes:

>Yes, some brands are more robust than others.  I highly recommend
>NEC - I think they make the finest modems available, and the most
>fully featured.  They also boast a 5 year parts and labor warranty.
>
>Stay away from US Robotics and Anchor at all costs.

I'm not sure what you mean by "high speed" modems. After trying three
modems which claim 9600 baud operation, I have concluded that the best
thing to do is wait a year. I will post more info as I test more
modems, but nothing tested so far has been really satisfactory.

Some people use the term to mean 2400 (or even 1200) baud, in which
case I STRONGLY disagree about the USR units. One of the local BBS
systems had 6 lines USR and 6 lines Hayes. They then added 6 more lines
USR. Our organization has added a number of MultiTech 224E modems which
run 300/1200/2400 and offer MNP error correction. This seems to yield
very reliable connections. I like them well enough to be upgrading my
BBS to them, what higher recommendation can I give?

	-bill davidsen

	seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
       /                               \
ihnp4!                                  >---> crdos1!davidsen
       \                               /
        chinet! ---------------------/  (davidsen%crdos1.uucp@ge-crd.ARPA)

"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward"

phillip@hrnowl (Phillip Keen) (12/18/90)

I am wanting to get a high speed modem (IE: higher than 2400 baud).  I've
been debating over which one to get, but not sure.  What is the best
standard to go with in high speed modems?  Any and all help will be
appreciated.  Phillip Keen

INTERNET:  phillip@hrnowl
USnail:  Phillip Keen   2705 Martin   Pasadena, TX  77502-5724

morelos@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Robert Morelos) (12/19/90)

In article <q0Ncu4w163w@hrnowl> phillip@hrnowl (Phillip Keen) writes:
>I am wanting to get a high speed modem (IE: higher than 2400 baud).  I've
>been debating over which one to get, but not sure.  What is the best
>standard to go with in high speed modems?  Any and all help will be
>appreciated.  Phillip Keen
>
>INTERNET:  phillip@hrnowl
>USnail:  Phillip Keen   2705 Martin   Pasadena, TX  77502-5724

I would recommend the CODEX 2680 modem, which achieves 19200 bps.
I do not know the price, but it must be quite expensive. If your
requirements are not so high, the CODEX 9600C works at 9600 bps
and is not as expensive as the 2680 model.

I would be interested to know if other alternatives exist, but
to the best of my knowledge the 2680 is the fastest modem
around. Any comments?

Robert Morelos
University of Hawaii
robert@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu

cec@cup.portal.com (Cerafin E Castillo) (12/20/90)

From personal and professional experience, I would recommend TELEBIT
modems.  The T2500 modem combines Telebit PEP protocol (19.2 Kbps)
and the V.32 CCITT standard (9600 bps).  This modem also has V.42/V.42bis
compression and error correction.  2400/1200/300 speeds, MNP 4/5, and
file transfer protocol support for UUCP-Kermit-X/Ymodem are also
in this modem.  This makes this modem compatible with wide variety
of other high-speed V.32 modems.  Please e-mail or call me for more info.

Caveat:  Sorry for the salesy tone, I am an authorized Telebit VAR
         and always have these products and information on hand.

Cerafin E. Castillo                       ||      //\\  ||\\  ||
Network Consultant                        ||     //__\\ || \\ ||  Los Altos
Los Altos Networks                        ||    // ---\\||  \\||  Networks
340 Second St. #6                         ||___//      \ |   \ |
Los Altos, CA  94022
(415) 941-8031      UUCP:     {apple,sun,uunet}!portal!cup.portal.com!cec
                INTERNET:     cec@cup.portal.com

                      "...No hay mal que por bien no venga..."

vernon@hpcvaac.cv.hp.com (Vernon King) (12/21/90)

If you can afford it I would look at a Telebit 2500 which would give you the
best of two worlds. PEP which is great for file transfers but not so hot for
interactive work. V-32 which is better for interactive work not so great for
long distance phone lines.

If you want something a little cheaper and you just want V-32 look at the two
Multitech V-32 modems. I believe the model numbers are 932ea and 932eb which
adds v-42bis. The second modem is a little more expensive than the first but
worth the extra money. I use quite a few of the Multitechs and they are quite
reliable and a good buy for the money.

In my experience (humble opinion) A PEP connection is more reliable over ex-
treme long distances and will move data faster if thats your goal. We have
about 50 of the Multitech v-32 modems hooked up at employees homes to our
Callback system and they work quite well for interactive use. Of course modems
are magic anyway your results may vary.

                                   Vernon

I speak for myself and what I see. This has nothing to do with my Employer.etc

schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) (12/22/90)

>I am wanting to get a high speed modem (IE: higher than 2400 baud).  I've
>been debating over which one to get, but not sure.  What is the best
>standard to go with in high speed modems?  Any and all help will be
>appreciated.  Phillip Keen

I have been using an ATI 9600etc/e V.32/V.42bis modem that I picked up at
a flea market two months ago. There are some minor quirks when negotiating
error control with ancient MNP5 modems at 2400 bps (like older Courier HST's).

Apart from that it has been reliable and rock-solid, with and without error
control, in both V.32(9600) and 2400 bps modes. I use it DAILY for 9600 bps
access to Telenet and CompuServe, as well as some local BBS systems running
on USR Dual Standards. I have yet to have a dropped carrier, unexplained
behavior of the modem or its indicators, or a failure to connect.

These modems seem to use the ubiquitous Rockwell R9696 board. They can be
had for about the same price as the PPI or the vaporware Intel 9600EX.