[comp.dcom.modems] TB statistics plotter?

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (12/21/90)

Has anyone written a tool to turn the contents of S71, S73, and S76
into plot(1) input or perhaps PostScript?

cec@cup.portal.com (Cerafin E Castillo) (12/21/90)

The Telebit Demonstation System (TDS), which is based on a water-down
version of HyperACCESS for DOS, has the capability of charting the
S70/S71/S72/S73 and S76 registers.  The plotted output first gives
you the noise level plotting of S76 (ie usable bandwith)
then superimposes the Transmit Bits Per Channel (S71) OR the
Receive Bits Per Channel (S73).  The axis of the plot are:

	|				|
Bits	|				|  Noise level
Per	|				|    (dbm)
Channel	l				|
(2,4,6)	|				|
	|_______________________________|
		Bandwith (0-4000Hz)

	Unfortunately, this TDS software is only for use with the a PC-DOS
HyperACCESS system running the full-blown host end of the Telebit Demon-
stration System (which is normally not made available to the end users,
only to us Telebit distributors...:-(.  The TDS software is available from
Telebit or its distributors for < $50.  Once you buy it, you dial the number
to the Telebit Demonstation System Host (in Sunnyvale, CA - 408) and it
automatically logs you in and presents a demonstration menu which will
include the plotting program.  TDS is in binary form ONLY!  I don't know of
where to get the code to write a plotting program for any other type of O/S,
although it should be fairly simple to do using text files and plotting
utilities, commonly available in UNIX.

	Please feel free to e-mail me if you would like this DOS software
and the TDS HOST phone number, if it is still in operation.  I'll be
glad to help you with this.

Cerafin E. Castillo                       ||      //\\  ||\\  ||
Network Consultant                        ||     //__\\ || \\ ||  Los Altos
Los Altos Networks                        ||    // ---\\||  \\||  Networks
340 Second St. #6                         ||___//      \ |   \ |
Los Altos, CA  94022
(415) 941-8031      UUCP:     {apple,sun,uunet}!portal!cup.portal.com!cec
                INTERNET:     cec@cup.portal.com

                      "...No hay mal que por bien no venga..."

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (12/22/90)

>Has anyone written a tool to turn the contents of S71, S73, and S76
>into plot(1) input or perhaps PostScript?

I have an extremely crude perl script that converts the S71 and S73 data in
spectrum plots. Up to four plots can be overlayed; I used this to show both
the transmit and receive numbers for two different phone lines. The output is
piped into an ascii-input-to-plot-output filter. The whole shebang was used
to document for our telecom department that MCI lines were of much poorer
quality than our AT&T lines. (Didn't help. They went for the short-term false
economy. I can't even guess how much switching to MCI has cost us in reduced
modem throughput.)

Send e-mail if you want a copy. No warranties; this is hack-and-slash perl we
are taking about here, and it's not very pretty.

<csg>

friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US (Stephen J. Friedl) (12/24/90)

Carl S. Gutekunst writes:
> [...]
> this is hack-and-slash perl we are taking about here, and
> it's not very pretty.

Is there any other kind?

     Steve :-)

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY  /  3B2-kind-of-guy  /  Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

Why not add Hollerith fields to printf()?