[comp.dcom.modems] New HST?

seanp%undrground@amix.commodore.com (Sean) (12/24/90)

 I recently heard about a new modem being assembled and sold by U.S.
Robotics called the HST/D. Supposedly, this modem will have the ability
to connect with other HST's, Telebit V.32's, and Hayes V.32's.

 I don't keep up with this newsgroup, and this message might be late, but
would someone mind forwarding some information about this modem to me
(ie: price, availibility, technical capabilities, etc.) ?

 Thanks for any help,

 Sean

--------
seanp%undrground@amix.commodore.com

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/24/90)

seanp%undrground@amix.commodore.com (Sean) writes:

> I recently heard about a new modem being assembled and sold by U.S.
>Robotics called the HST/D. Supposedly, this modem will have the ability
>to connect with other HST's, Telebit V.32's, and Hayes V.32's.

My USR Dual Standard connects with those, as well as any other
V.32 modem and/or another USR HST.

  {larry@nstar.rn.com, uunet!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

amigo@milton.u.washington.edu (The Friend) (12/25/90)

In article <1990Dec24.132453.5027@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>seanp%undrground@amix.commodore.com (Sean) writes:
>
>> I recently heard about a new modem being assembled and sold by U.S.
>>Robotics called the HST/D. Supposedly, this modem will have the ability
>>to connect with other HST's, Telebit V.32's, and Hayes V.32's.
>
>My USR Dual Standard connects with those, as well as any other
>V.32 modem and/or another USR HST.

     What he's refering to is the ability to be a "triple" standard modem,
thus covering the Telebit, V.32, and HST types. Given USR can get rights
to the telebit protocol, this could be a good deal - hence you wouldn't
ever have a problem connecting to any modem (of course this will take time
before all the bugs are worked out).

     If USR could price this modem at around $1000, it would be a very HOT
seller. The dual standards are good now, given they improvethat..wow.