[comp.dcom.modems] Hayes Ultra 96 Problem

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury, SysAdmin) (12/23/90)

I seem to be having a problem with my Hayes Ultra 96 modem when trying to
connect to another modem under certain conditions.  It seems that if I have
the &Q5 setting enabled and dial a modem with no error correction, the Ultra
(or the other modem - a Hayes Smartmodem 2400) hangs up almost immediately
after the connection.

What could be the problem?

-- Bob

______ Pro-Graphics BBS  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!" ________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl         |         Pro-Graphics: 908/469-0049
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil      |       America Online: Graphics3d
Internet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com       |           CompuServe: RIP
_________                                                          ___________
          Raven Enterprises  25 Raven Avenue  Piscataway, NJ 08854

tnixon@hayes.uucp (12/25/90)

In article <6462@crash.cts.com>, bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob
Lindabury, SysAdmin) writes:

> I seem to be having a problem with my Hayes Ultra 96 modem when trying to
> connect to another modem under certain conditions.  It seems that if I have
> the &Q5 setting enabled and dial a modem with no error correction, the Ultra
> (or the other modem - a Hayes Smartmodem 2400) hangs up almost immediately
> after the connection.
>
> What could be the problem?

Well, it could be that you have S36 set to 0,  or 4, which would
cause it to disconnect if it were unable to establish an
error-control protocol.  Try that first.  It could also be that the
answering DTE doesn't tolerate very well the attempt to establish
an error-control protocol, in which case the best solution (and what
I _really_ recommend you do) is include &Q0 in your init string when
calling a non-error-control modem.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) (12/28/90)

In article <3706.27764622@hayes.uucp> tnixon@hayes.uucp writes:

|...                                       It could also be that the
|answering DTE doesn't tolerate very well the attempt to establish
|an error-control protocol, in which case the best solution (and what
|I _really_ recommend you do) is include &Q0 in your init string when
|calling a non-error-control modem.

Although I've never had any problems dialing into a _Hayes_ 2400 with my
Ultra, I do with quite a few other brands.  Instead of &Q0; however, I
use &Q6, which lets me keep the DTE speed at 38400.  I've never had even
a Zoom modem fail to establish a good 2400 asynch connection with that
setting.  Just a bit less work than having to reset the comm port rate
for each new asynch connection.

--
Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)

      Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
      constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.