[comp.dcom.modems] Modems capturing caller-ID?

bruce@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (12/17/90)

Are there any plans for modems to capture caller ID? If so,
what about the necessary commands for the computer to inquire what
it is?

tnixon@hayes.uucp (12/18/90)

In article <39063.276c133a@ccavax.camb.com>, bruce@ccavax.camb.com
(Barton F. Bruce) writes:

> Are there any plans for modems to capture caller ID? If so,
> what about the necessary commands for the computer to inquire what
> it is?

To the best of my knowledge, no major modem manufacturer has
actually announced that they're going to support the Caller ID
feature in their modems.  Lots of folks are talking about it, but it
appears that most are waiting to see how widespread the feature
actually turns out to be and what the regulatory acceptance will be
before investing much in the way of engineering.  Caller ID uses a
modulation scheme unlike any found in typical PC-class modems and
also requires the ability to receive it without going off hook.  Both
of these require pretty significant changes in the modem; it's not
trivial to support Caller ID in a modem.

About the closest thing to a Caller ID "command" is what is
contained in the Hayes ISDN AT Command Set.  ISDN, as you may know,
includes Caller ID as a built-in function.  Our ISDN PC Adapter can
deliver the information as part of the "RING" message, store it in a
string register, or both.  Any future modem implementation is likely
to be similar, but no company has made any announcement to that
affect as far as I know.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (12/21/90)

UUCP (tnixon@hayes.uucp) wrote:

 >To the best of my knowledge, no major modem manufacturer has
 >actually announced that they're going to support the Caller ID
 >feature in their modems.  Lots of folks are talking about it, but it
 >appears that most are waiting to see how widespread the feature
 >actually turns out to be and what the regulatory acceptance will be
 >before investing much in the way of engineering.

   That's ironic from a company that sells ISDN products.  Caller-ID is
widespread and I'm sure it will catch on much faster than ISDN, even if the
latter will replace it in the long run.

 >Our ISDN PC Adapter can deliver the information as part
 >of the "RING" message, store it in a string register, or both.

   I would really look forward to a modem that would do this!

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Molson 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!

lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) (12/22/90)

In article <6562.2772E8C7@zswamp.fidonet.org> root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:

>   I would really look forward to a modem that would do this!

Me too!  Then the modem would answer all my calls!

--
Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)

      Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
      constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (12/25/90)

>>   I would really look forward to a modem that would do this!
>Me too!  Then the modem would answer all my calls!

So expand it a little, to make it *really* useful: the modem has a table of
phone numbers to which it will auto-answer; all others it ignores.  You can
do the same thing in the host if you are a Big Site, but for little guys like
my PDP-11 having the modem do it would be wonderful.

It would be the best modem security feature to come along in ages. It would
also mean I could leave the modem on-line on my regular house phone line, and
not worry about it whistling at my mother. :-)

<csg>

jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) (12/26/90)

In article <138686@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:

   >>   I would really look forward to a modem that would do this!
   >Me too!  Then the modem would answer all my calls!

   So expand it a little, to make it *really* useful: the modem has a table of
   phone numbers to which it will auto-answer; all others it ignores.  You can

Caller ID boxes are already being sold inexpensively. Hello Direct
(1-800-HI-HELLO) has an AT & T unit, with an LCD display, for $59.95

This says that the price for a caller id board can potentially be much
less. (Unless AT & T is artificially pricing them low )

A likely scenario is a standalone caller ID board that plugs into
your pc bus, has 2 RJ11 jacks ; plug the telephone line into one of them,
and plug the modem into the other. The board traps ringing until it picks up
the caller id, wakes up a TSR to decide what to do, and either connects
the incoming line to the outgoing jack, or lets it ring forever.

So you can get the caller ID function without having to buy a new modem;
you can use the 'filtered' output for your voice calls, fax, modem,
or other purposes.

As Toby says, people are probably waiting to see if the concept
(caller ID) catches on.

We're not making such a board ourselves :-)

/ Jon Sreekanth

Assabet Valley Microsystems			Fax and PC products
346 Lincoln St #722, Marlboro, MA 01752		508-562-0722
jon_sree@world.std.com

ebh@argon.UUCP (Ed Horch) (12/27/90)

In article <138686@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>So expand it a little, to make it *really* useful: the modem has a table of
>phone numbers to which it will auto-answer; all others it ignores.  You can
>do the same thing in the host if you are a Big Site, but for little guys like
>my PDP-11 having the modem do it would be wonderful.

This would be a Really Good Thing except that even small sites usually
have a news or mail neighbor that dials out from behind a PBX.  The
capability exists to have Caller ID pass a PBX extension, but in
reality, you get the number of the trunk via which the call arrived.

Therefore, the valid number table would have to know about all the
trunks in the PBX's outgoing trunk group.  Nasty.

(There was much talk of this some time ago centered around the idea of
using Caller ID to screen out calls from telemarketers.  See the
telecom-privacy [*not* comp.dcom.telecom!] mailing list for current
discussion.)

-Ed

tnixon@hayes.uucp (12/28/90)

In article <841@argon.UUCP>, ebh@argon.UUCP (Ed Horch) writes:

> Therefore, the valid number table would have to know about all the
> trunks in the PBX's outgoing trunk group.  Nasty.

My understanding is that it is possible to have an outgoing trunk
group set up to ANI/Caller-ID to a single number -- that is, for
Caller-ID purposes, they'd all  display the same number, which could
be the main INCOMING number of the company.  Certainly makes a lot
more sense than having it ID as a number that you can't even call
back!

--

dave@westmark.WESTMARK.COM (Dave Levenson) (12/30/90)

In article <3709.277b6b4e@hayes.uucp>, tnixon@hayes.uucp writes:
> My understanding is that it is possible to have an outgoing trunk
> group set up to ANI/Caller-ID to a single number -- that is, for
> Caller-ID purposes, they'd all  display the same number, which could
> be the main INCOMING number of the company.  Certainly makes a lot
> more sense than having it ID as a number that you can't even call
> back!

Here in NJ we have had Caller*ID service for a couple of years.  The
number you receive is sometimes the main inbound number, sometimes a
fictitious 'billing number' which you cannot call back, sometimes
the actual trunk number of the outbound trunk (sometimes you can
call it and reach the PBX attendant, sometimes no answer), and
sometimes the actual extension number (if the caller is using
Centrex).  What it comes down to is that with Caller*ID, there are
lots of options, and you can't design a system that expects only one
of them to work.

Also, at least for the present time, any call from outside your LATA
is displayed only as "OUT OF AREA".
--
Dave Levenson			Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave

prs@tcsc3b2.tcsc.com (Paul Stath) (01/03/91)

	I recently saw an advertisement about a PC-based call mgmt package.

	This package included a small database, a TSR monitor, and a little
	box that attached to the serial port of your PC.  The little box
	looks like a simple RS232C to RJ11 adapter, but looked like it
	had a little circut board to decode the caller ID.  You hooked
	it to your phone with a provided Y connector.

	Phone jack -> [+]-----------+----------------- Voice Line

				    |        /-+
				    +-------[  |  RS232C
					     \-+

	When a call is received, the CallerID decoder would decode the
	signal into what I assume would be ASCII.  The TSR would read this
	as incomming data, compare the number against the database, and
	pop up a "note card" data screen about your caller.

	What I want to know, does anyone know where just the CallerID
	decoder can be purchased, and for how much?

	If you could purchase the decoder, you could wrtie a TSR to
	monitor the RS232C port, and check the incomming number against
	a database of numbers, and if the number is in the database,
	send an auto-answer code to the modem.