[comp.dcom.modems] V.35 null modems

stacy@sobeco.com (s.millions) (01/04/91)

Well, I finally got the cisco pancake routers I have been waiting
for. Now, for my first batch of silly questions...

I want to test these things before they get installed (call me
crazy, but this is my first experience with routers and V.35). My
problem is, how do I connect the two beasties together? Is it
as simple as a V.35 null modem cable? Do I need one of these V.35
modem eliminators that I see advertised? Could I do the same
job with a V.35 break out box, they seem to be as expensive as
the modem eliminators, but provide a little more info (I might not
know what is going on, but I like to _see_ what is going on :-).

-stacy

--
"Sorry I had to plug you mister duck, but I'm a sportsman."    stacy@sobeco.com
    - Almyer Fudd                                            uunet!sobeco!stacy

lars@spectrum.CMC.COM (Lars Poulsen) (01/05/91)

In article <1991Jan4.145007.22904@sobeco.com> stacy@sobeco.com (s.millions) writes:
>Well, I finally got the cisco pancake routers I have been waiting for.
>
>I want to test these things before they get installed (call me
>crazy, but this is my first experience with routers and V.35). My
>problem is, how do I connect the two beasties together?
>Do I need one of these V.35 modem eliminators that I see advertised?

Yes. As in any other synchronous serial modem interface, the question is
"Who supplies the clock?", and the answer is "The modem does".

>Could I do the same
>job with a V.35 break out box, they seem to be as expensive as
>the modem eliminators, but provide a little more info (I might not
>know what is going on, but I like to _see_ what is going on :-).

The V.35 breakout boxes tend to be expensive because they need to have a
power supply to drive the lights. V.35 uses a differential signal with
less than 1 Volt drive. I never understood why the phone companies liked
it so much when we already had RS422 which had +-5V drive which is
enough umph to drive lights directly and even to interoperate with RS232
in a pinch. But you still need somebody to supply the clock.
--
/ Lars Poulsen, SMTS Software Engineer
  CMC Rockwell  lars@CMC.COM

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (01/06/91)

In article <1991Jan5.062616.7340@spectrum.CMC.COM> lars@spectrum.CMC.COM (Lars Poulsen) writes:

-V.35 uses a differential signal with
-less than 1 Volt drive. I never understood why the phone companies liked
-it so much when we already had RS422 which had +-5V drive which is
-enough umph to drive lights directly and even to interoperate with RS232
-in a pinch.

V.35 predates RS422 by maybe as much as 10 years.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

fortinp@bwdls56.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin) (01/06/91)

In article <1991Jan4.145007.22904@sobeco.com>, stacy@sobeco.com (s.millions) writes:

> Well, I finally got the cisco pancake routers I have been waiting
> for. Now, for my first batch of silly questions...
>
> I want to test these things before they get installed (call me
> crazy, but this is my first experience with routers and V.35). My
> problem is, how do I connect the two beasties together? Is it
> as simple as a V.35 null modem cable? Do I need one of these V.35
> modem eliminators that I see advertised? Could I do the same
> job with a V.35 break out box, they seem to be as expensive as
> the modem eliminators, but provide a little more info (I might not
> know what is going on, but I like to _see_ what is going on :-).

Your not crazy, you'd be surprised how extensively we test all equipment
which goes on our network; sure gets a vendors attention when they are not
allowed to have their equipment connected until they fix any major
non-conformance problems...  :^}

With V.35, I highly recommend you test with the _same_ cables you plan to
install in the field.  No, you can't just make up a null cable; you _will_
need a modem eliminator.  Better yet, if you plan to use T1, use the CSU/DSU
itself; you'll be surprised to find that 1.544M will *not* work due to T1's
one's-density requirement.  The break-out boxes are handy, but now that
cisco has gotten the V.35 interface straight, these shouldn't be necessary
unless you've got a physical problem.

Oh yeah:  get high quality cables.  We've resorted to designing our own
which gave us slightly more than 10dB improvement in noise/crosstalk
immunity.  Our cables have individually shielded pairs with an overall shield.
The pair shields are grounded (drained) at the signal-source end only.  The
outside shield is grounded to the cisco and the modem.  This may seem like
overkill, but if you had seen the problems we suffered through a year ago
with our older cables, you'd understand why I CUT (really) any old cable
I find *anywhere* (stockroom, parts cabinet, etc.)

If you really like to _see_ what's going on, then you'll want a V.35 datascope
(up to sub-rate T1) of some sort.  Full T1 datascopes are rare beasts however.

> -stacy

Good luck!

Cheers,

Pierre Fortin       Bell-Northern Research     I know, my postings are
Internet Systems    P.O.Box 3511, Stn C        terse and humourless. So?
(613)763-2598       Ottawa, Ontario            RIP: aptly named protocol
fortinp@bnr.ca      Canada    K1Y 4H7          AppleTalk: Adam&Eve's design