[comp.dcom.modems] Amstrad ppc640 modem

John_Hicks@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (John Hicks) (01/06/91)

FSC-Control: EID:fe79 16271cc0
FSC-Control: PID: RA 0.04 031
I have an amstrad ppc640 with internal modem.  The computer came with the
mirror 2 comms program as part of the package and the documentation was
included in the ppc manual as a result.  It said in the docs at the
conclusion of the mirror docs (for the integral modem) NOT to try and run
the modem using battery power.  I took this to be the internal batteries and
thought the reason would be because of the power drain on them.  I connected
up a 12 volt 6.5 Amp-hour battery to the supplied cigarette lighter adapter
cord to power the computer and therefore the modem and everything seemed to
work fine, for a while.  Anyway, I let the battery drain of power while
still using the internal modem so getting a high pitched whistle out of the
ppc's speaker (this happens when the internal batteries are getting drained
and are an indication they need changing (when using the pc for ordinary
purposes and not for modem!)  After that, the mirror 2 software kept
crashing on me even though I made a fresh copy from the original disk.
Other comms software works really well (I'm currently using procomm) with
absolutely no problems whatsoever.  Can anyone suggest what has happened to
the mirror software.  It HAS been virus tested and is clean (SCAN V.67).
Thanks.
---
 * Origin: Genesis - The Home of Magnum - Christchurch *NZ* (3:770/110)
SEEN-BY: 770/101 110 115 771/110 170 180 772/20 140 774/501
FSC-Control: PATH: 770/110 101 772/20 771/170