[comp.dcom.modems] phone number service

gplan@sol.aer.com (George Planansky) (01/02/91)

1. Is there some code to dial, that will give you the phone
number of the telephone you are dialing from?

2. Any way to do this via a modem?

(For instance, if I want to find out what modems on our
terminal servers are connected to what lines, without
tracing a rat's nest of connections (physical and virtual).)
--
George Planansky
Atmospheric & Environmental Research

shaw@saturn.med.ge.com (Tom Shaw ct58 Ex 5084) (01/02/91)

In article <GPLAN.91Jan2012015@sol.aer.com> gplan@sol.aer.com (George Planansky) writes:
>1. Is there some code to dial, that will give you the phone
>number of the telephone you are dialing from?
>
>2. Any way to do this via a modem?
>
>(For instance, if I want to find out what modems on our
>terminal servers are connected to what lines, without
>tracing a rat's nest of connections (physical and virtual).)
>--
>George Planansky
>Atmospheric & Environmental Research
>840 Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA 02139
>gplanansky@aer.com   (617) 547-6207 fax: 547-6479

Also, is there a way to specify whether or not your call to
Europe goes via satellite or via undersea cable??  IS one
or the other preferable, that is better line quality??

Tom
Thomas A. Shaw                  | Roman rule:
G.E. Medical Systems            |   The one who says it cannot be done
16800 West Ryerson Rd NB-920    |   should never interrupt the one who
New Berlin, WI 53151            |   is doing it.
uucp:		{uunet!crdgw1|sun!sunbird}!gemed!shaw
internet:	shawta@gemed.ge.com
internet:       shawta@comet.med.ge.com

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (01/03/91)

In article <GPLAN.91Jan2012015@sol.aer.com>, gplan@sol.aer.com (George Planansky) writes:
> 1. Is there some code to dial, that will give you the phone
> number of the telephone you are dialing from?

There is no universal number for doing this.  Telephone companies have
these, but they keep them secret and change them to prevent the rest
of us from using them.

A few months back there was an 800 number that did a demo of this
that would read back your calling number based upon 800 caller ID, but it
got too popular, and was disconnected by the providers.

Tad Cook
Seattle, WA
Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA
Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544
Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad
or, tad@ssc.UUCP

lee@gdc.portal.com (Seng-Poh Lee, (203) 758-1811 Ext 7728) (01/03/91)

In article <GPLAN.91Jan2012015@sol.aer.com>, gplan@sol.aer.com (George Planansky) writes:
> 1. Is there some code to dial, that will give you the phone
> number of the telephone you are dialing from?

Try this; dial 970 and wait for 10 to 15 seconds. If it works, a voice will
announce the number. If that doesn't work, try 940-777-7777. 970 works for
my exchange and 940-777-7777 for others. However, telcos love to change these
numbers, so it's potluck whether it works or not. If you find some other
codes, let me know. By the way, the millawatt numbers for almost all exchanges
are XXX-1024. This gives you a 1 Khz tone at 0 dBm out of the CO and is good
for determining line loss on your loop.

> 2. Any way to do this via a modem?

Not that I know off.

Seng-Poh Lee                                   lee@gdc.portal.com

dwatney@pine.circa.ufl.edu (Marshall Sutherland) (01/03/91)

In article <GPLAN.91Jan2012015@sol.aer.com>, gplan@sol.aer.com (George Planansky) writes...
>1. Is there some code to dial, that will give you the phone
>number of the telephone you are dialing from?

Here in Southern Bell territory, one of the x11 numbers does it.
511?  nope, that makes my line go dead for a minute...  (that's interesting)
311?  yeah, that did it!

>2. Any way to do this via a modem?

It can certainly dial the number, but i doubt it can interpret the voice...
Is the setup such that you can enable the speaker and listen yourself?
(You may have to disable voice detection to prevent the modem from hanging
up when it starts)

-----
Marshall Sutherland, Partner/Consultant, Digital Magic Computer Consulting
dwatney@pine.circa.ufl.edu, dwatney@ufpine.bitnet, uflorida!arms!0
Sysop, Farthinghale Arms BBS, +1 904 378 4861

jmk@kksys.mn.org (Jim Kaufman) (01/04/91)

Here in the Minneapolis area, 511 is the magic number to dial to find
out your phone number, (although I just tried it now and got a busy
signal!)

JMK

--
James M. Kaufman, Digital Biometrics, Inc. "Electronic Fingerprinting Systems"
	Here I am:	jmk@kksys.MN.ORG

seanp%undrground@amix.commodore.com (Sean Petty) (01/04/91)

gplan@sol.aer.com (George Planansky) writes:

> 1. Is there some code to dial, that will give you the phone
> number of the telephone you are dialing from?

 Yes... You could find out the number of the local ANI (Automatic Number
Identification) To your prefix. This is a telephone company number, which
is rarely given out to the public. Persuading a local Phone Co. repair
worker might yield the number, or posting a request on
"comp.dcom.telecom" may find someone (almost assuredly) who has it. When
you dial this number it will read you back the number (in a computer
voice) that you are calling from. If none of the above attempts work,
send me mail, I have another trick that will yeild the numbers you need
Nationwide....

> 2. Any way to do this via a modem?

 Yes, if you get the ANI number, just leave your modem speaker on. If you
mean have it transmit via modem, No.

 Hope this helps...

  Let me know...

Sean

olasov@cs.columbia.edu (Benjamin Olasov) (01/07/91)

)
) There is no universal number for doing this.  Telephone companies have
) these, but they keep them secret and change them to prevent the rest
) of us from using them.

In New York City, dialing 958 will do this- I don't know about other
cities.

Ben		olasov@cs.columbia.edu