[comp.dcom.modems] Caller ID and Call Waiting

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (01/03/91)

There's been a lot of talk about caller id in this group lately, so I
thought I would add a caller id question, only indirectly related to
modems.

What happens if you have Call Waiting and Caller ID, and a call comes
in while your connected elsewhere? I presume what happens is you just
don't get any caller id info on the waiting call, whether or not you
accept it. My understanding is that the caller id info is part of the
ring signal, and if it doesn't ring you don't get the info.

The reason this is partly related to modems is my pet peeve with TB
modems in PEP mode. PEP mode generally retrains around the call waiting
beep, without ever letting you know about it.  This is what many people
want, but not what I want. I would rather drop the data call and get
the incoming call. If Caller ID worked with Call Waiting, I could rig
something up.
--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!km    UUCP

dave@westmark.WESTMARK.COM (Dave Levenson) (01/04/91)

In article <6723@emory.mathcs.emory.edu>, km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:

> What happens if you have Call Waiting and Caller ID, and a call comes
> in while your connected elsewhere? I presume what happens is you just
> don't get any caller id info on the waiting call, whether or not you
> accept it. My understanding is that the caller id info is part of the
> ring signal, and if it doesn't ring you don't get the info.

You are correct.  If the call does not cause your phone to ring, you
do not receive the Caller*ID information.  If you are on a call and
receive the call-waiting beep and then simply hang up, without
flashing your switchhook, you will drop the original call, and your
phone then rings.  In this case, you may still receive Caller*ID.
Does anybody know if this is the case?

--
Dave Levenson			Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave

riddle@hoss.unl.edu (Michael H. Riddle) (01/07/91)

In <6723@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:

>There's been a lot of talk about caller id in this group lately, so I
>thought I would add a caller id question, only indirectly related to
>modems.

>What happens if you have Call Waiting and Caller ID, and a call comes
>in while your connected elsewhere? I presume what happens is you just
>don't get any caller id info on the waiting call, whether or not you
>accept it. My understanding is that the caller id info is part of the
>ring signal, and if it doesn't ring you don't get the info.

I cross-posted your question to comp.dcom.telecom, and got this reply
from
Michael_Perka@NeXT.COM :

The interactions of the Calling Number Delivery (CND) CLASS service with
other services such as Custom Calling are noted in the Bellcore Technical
Reference TR-TSY-000031, "CLASS Feature: Calling Number Delivery".

Under section 3.8, Interactions:

"A. Call Waiting

	CND data should not be transmitted duing of after a Call Waiting
	(CW) tone.  Similarly, CND data should not be transmitted during
	or after any switchhook flashes that may occur in response to the
	CW tone.  Also, CND should not occur during ringback that results
	from the customer going on-hook in response to a CW tone."

Subsections B through J describe interactions with Multiparty Lines, Three-
Way Calling, various types of call forwarding, Distinctive Ringing, Auto
Callback/Recall, and Calling Number Delivery Blocking.

Ordering info for this TR has already appeared in Telecom-Digest.

Telecom-Digest is available as comp.dcom.telecom.

--
            <<<< insert standard disclaimer here >>>>
riddle@hoss.unl.edu                  |   University of Nebraska