[comp.dcom.modems] U.S. Sprint and PEP

markh@squirrel.LABS.TEK.COM (Mark C. Henderson) (01/06/91)

I've noticed that PEP connections with U.S. Sprint as the long
distance carrier (within the U.S.) seem to be sluggish (almost
intolerable for interactive use) and not terribly reliable. The
problem disappears when I switch over to AT&T. If it is significant
I'm using a T2500 with 6.01 roms.

Are there any magic register settings I can fiddle with that will fix
this or should I just give up on Sprint?

Mark
--
        Mark C. Henderson, Computer Research Laboratory, Tektronix, Inc.
              MS 50-662, P.O. Box 500, Beaverton, OR 97077, U.S.A.

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (01/07/91)

Mark C. Henderson (markh@squirrel.LABS.TEK.COM ) wrote:

 >I've noticed that PEP connections with U.S. Sprint as the
 >long distance carrier (within the U.S.) seem to be sluggish
 >(almost intolerable for interactive use) and not terribly reliable.
 >The problem disappears when I switch over to AT&T. If it is
 >significant I'm using a T2500 with 6.01 roms.

 >Are there any magic register settings I can fiddle with that
 >will fix this or should I just give up on Sprint?

   Yeah: your long distance dialing prefix codes.  <grin>

DISCLAIMER: I have *absolutely nothing* to do with AT&T!

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Molson 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!

shaw@saturn.med.ge.com (Tom Shaw ct58 Ex 5084) (01/08/91)

In article <37702@cup.portal.com> cec@cup.portal.com (Cerafin E Castillo) writes:
[stuff delted]
>and fewer re-trains in PEP mode.  Otherwise, the use of S120=12 and
>J6S36=[1-3] should help, but will lower your throughput due to the
>use of long PEP packets ONLY.
[more stuff deleted]

Is there a way to specify different packet sizes on the Telebit modems??
Does anypone know what the optimal packet size would be??  It seems I
remember reading on the net about being able to set the packet sizes to
micro, small and large, but I can't find the info anymore.  Any ideas??

Thanks.
Tom

Thomas A. Shaw                  | Roman rule:
G.E. Medical Systems            |   The one who says it cannot be done
16800 West Ryerson Rd NB-920    |   should never interrupt the one who
New Berlin, WI 53151            |   is doing it.
uucp:		{uunet!crdgw1|sun!sunbird}!gemed!shaw
internet:	shawta@gemed.ge.com
internet:       shawta@comet.med.ge.com

cec@cup.portal.com (Cerafin E Castillo) (01/09/91)

From my information on the S120 register, you can not change the packet
size only the type of packet used in PEP.  Micro, short, or long are
the only choices given by this registers.  I don't know of any other
DOCUMENTED registers which dictate PEP packet size.  I don't think
Telebit would be helpful in releasing this type of info either.

Cerafin E. Castillo                       ||      //\\  ||\\  ||
Network Consultant                        ||     //__\\ || \\ ||  Los Altos
Los Altos Networks                        ||    // ---\\||  \\||  Networks
340 Second St. #6                         ||___//      \ |   \ |
Los Altos, CA  94022
(415) 941-8031      UUCP:     {apple,sun,uunet}!portal!cup.portal.com!cec
                INTERNET:     cec@cup.portal.com

                      "...No hay mal que por bien no venga..."