[comp.dcom.modems] vt220 emulation on a Mac with a Telebit T2500 at 19200bps

rex@nbc1.ge.com (Rex Espiritu) (01/09/91)

I've tried out several vt220 emulation software applications on the Mac but
I haven't been able to get them to work well with a Telebit modem at 19200 baud.

I keep getting these strange looking characters (in a weird font) that make
a login: prompt look something like locii:

Any assistance/information on this matter would be very much appreciated.
--
M. Rex Espiritu, Jr.                      NBC News, A Division of
rex@nbc1.NBC.GE.COM                       National Broadcasting Company, Inc.

rex@nbc1.ge.com (Rex Espiritu) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan8.204540.3197@nbc1.ge.com> rex@nbc1.GE.COM (Rex Espiritu) writes:
>I keep getting these strange looking characters (in a weird font) that make
>a login: prompt look something like locii:

Thanks to several e-mail responses, I attempted the obvious suggestion to use
7 bits Even parity as opposed to 8 bits No parity and it worked!  I've had to
do this in other applications before but somehow, I assumed it didn't apply
here.  Anyway, I'm glad it works now.  Thanks again to all of you who responded.

Now, if I can only speed up my Mac Plus at home which now seems to be the
bottleneck despite the 19200 baud rate.  Still, it must have something to
do with software a bit, because White Knight at vt100 emulation seems to
fly comparatively...  Any enlightening follow-up comments anyone?