[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit T2500 and SCO's ODT uugetty

jaa@alana.UUCP (Alan Anderson [068]) (01/08/91)

    I am having a problem with (2) T2500 Telebits that I feel
sure someone has ran into. With SCO's ODT I am trying to setup
the Telebits using uugetty. The advantage of uugetty that I have
found is the device can be used for incoming and outgoing calls
without having any device ownership problems. The /etc/getty
supplied with SCO ODT changes the owner of the device to
user "bin" and group "terminal" every time the port is enabled,
this causes a problem with UUCP because it doesn't own the device.

    When I switch to uugetty the Telebits will connect only
for a second, then the answering modem will drop DTR. The
uugetty seems to work fine with a Hayes 9600V or any other
modem I have tried, the problem seems to only be with the T2500.
In fact it even works with a TB+.

    I am using the T2500's in PEP mode, and using the SCO
dialTBIT dialer.

    If anyone has any ideas send me some mail or post it here.

    Thanks,

    Alan Anderson   (901) 762-6068
    United Dominion Buildings
    6000 Poplar Ave, Suite 400
    Memphis, TN 38141

mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) (01/09/91)

In article <6@alana.UUCP> jaa@alana.UUCP (Alan Anderson [068]) writes:

>    I am having a problem with (2) T2500 Telebits that I feel
>sure someone has ran into. With SCO's ODT I am trying to setup
>the Telebits using uugetty.

(My mail was returned, alana.UUCP was not in our maps database).

I have TB+ and TB 2500 modems working with SCO ODT 1.0 (SCO UNIX 3.2.1)
using uugetty.  Things are not perfect, but they seem to work most of the
time.  If anyone wants more info I can email it.
--

Mike Squires (mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)     812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (01/11/91)

According to jaa@alana.UUCP (Alan Anderson [068]):
> I am having a problem with (2) T2500 Telebits that I feel
>sure someone has ran into. With SCO's ODT I am trying to setup
>the Telebits using uugetty. ...
>
>    When I switch to uugetty the Telebits will connect only
>for a second, then the answering modem will drop DTR.

It's possible that the problem is the old version of uugetty.  You can
identify it with "file uugetty" -- if it reports "a.out executable",
it's old.

The old version of uugetty doesn't understand "B19200" in the
gettydefs file.  Say "EXTA" instead, and see if it works.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
       "If Usenet exists, then what is its mailing address?"  -- me