[comp.dcom.modems] Modems badly needed in the U.S.S.R

sergei@cdp.UUCP (01/03/91)

Dear friends;we are from the Soviet Union and we work on setting
up a computer network in the S.U. which will be called GlasNet and
will be a part of APC. It's a charity non-profit project sponsored
by the International Foundation for the Survival and Development
of Humanity. We really need your help. There are modems in our country
which are not good for our purposes. And due to the bad conditions
of our economy most organizations are unable to pay for foreign made
modems in hard currency ( rouble is not convertible ). Non-profit
institutions are the poorest. Maybe some of you could suggest some
way of settling it. It could be some kind of joint production of modems
in the U.S.S.R. We are most interested in MNP modems.Also if some of you
got modems which you don't use we would appreciate if you donated them
to GlasNet to make some more Soviets happy members of our community.
Our Email addresses are pn:sergei or pn:alexz.
                               With respect Alex Zaitsev and Sergei
                               Boukhonin, GlasNet staff members.

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (01/05/91)

Excuse the followup instead of a reply but cant send to uucp addresses
with our mailer ...

If the originators of this request want to attract mercenary Americans
to donate equipment it would be best for them to establish and register
a non-profit corporation and try to get it registered as a charity so
that donators can take charitable tax deductions. Also, since it is
possible that some kinds of computer equipment (including modems) may
still be embargoes/contraband to the USSR, it would be best for such a
US-based agency to receive the equipment and take responsibility for
clearing it through customs.

Jeff Sicherman

napo@niksula.hut.fi (Hannu Napari) (01/06/91)

In article <1991Jan4.192230.26721@beach.csulb.edu> sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) writes:

>Excuse the followup instead of a reply but cant send to uucp addresses
>with our mailer ...

[Blahblah...]

It seems to me that the posting concering the shortage of modems in the USSR
was a fraud. As far as I know, all the news traffic to the USSR goes
through fuug.fi and they use internet addressing, not UUCP.

--
Napo    $ Hey Nath, hama para kripa kijiye. Door kara andhakar, gyan
(leon)  $ ka aloka dijiye, binsa dwesh lobha bamese chhin lijiye,

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (01/06/91)

In article <NAPO.91Jan5233523@elektra.hut.fi> napo@niksula.hut.fi (Hannu Napari) writes:
>It seems to me that the posting concering the shortage of modems in the USSR
>was a fraud. As far as I know, all the news traffic to the USSR goes
>through fuug.fi and they use internet addressing, not UUCP.

Maybe, and maybe not. I tracked down the map listing for the site whence came
the request:

#N	cdp
#S	AT/386; Interactive 2.0.2 (System V Release 3.2)
#O	Community Data Processing (CdP)
#C	Scott Weikart
#E	cdp!postmaster, cdp!scott
#T	+1 415 322 9069
#P	1010 Doyle, #9, Menlo Park, CA 94025
#L	37 33 40 N / 122 15 55 W
#R	EcoNet; PeaceNet; donate unneeded hardware for a tax deduction!
#U	sgi
#W	cdp!scott (Scott Weikart); Wed Jun 13 17:26:02 PDT 1990
#
cdp	hplabs(DIRECT), labrea(DIRECT), sgi(DIRECT),
	pyramid(DIRECT), sobell(DIRECT)

Perhaps some USSRians have a login on cdp?

 Jean-Pierre Radley	    NYC Public Unix	jpr@jpr.com	CIS: 72160,1341

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (01/07/91)

Hannu Napari (napo@niksula.hut.fi ) wrote:

 >It seems to me that the posting concering the shortage of
 >modems in the USSR
 >was a fraud. As far as I know, all the news traffic to the
 >USSR goes
 >through fuug.fi and they use internet addressing, not UUCP.

   I recognized the hostname in the posting (cdp.UUCP) and I
believe that the postings may have been genuine.

   I do not wish to make any political statement, but am unsure
how to phrase this diplomatically: if I remember correctly, cdp
is a liberal organization involved in bringing computing to the
people, or something like that - sorry if I'm offbase on that!

   Anyways, I would not be at all surprised to find them involved
in some project which would bring modems to the Soviet Union.

   Geoff

DISCLAIMER: I cannot stress sufficiently that this info is off the
top of my head and more poorly worded than anything else I've ever
written.  I apologize in advance for any offense taken, it was purely
unintentional and the result of nothing more sinister than criminal
clumsiness!

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Molson 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!

dcaulkins@cdp.UUCP (01/07/91)

This request for modems is from two GlasNet staff members in our
Moscow office.  For those who may not know about it, here's some
information on the GlasNet project.

The International Foundation (Moscow, Washington DC,
Stockholm, Sofia) is working on a project called "GlasNet," a
computer network to be created in the Soviet Union.  The
International Foundation is registered as a non-profit in the USA;
the US addresses are:

GlasNet West
437 Mundel Way
Los Altos, CA 94022
(415)948-5753 voice
(415)948-1474 fax
cdp!dcaulkins@labrea.stanford.edu Email

International Foundation
11 Dupont Circle
6th Floor
Washington, DC 20036
(202)745-1900 voice
cdp!intldc@labrea.stanford.edu Email

The purpose of GlasNet will be to offer easy and inexpensive
information exchange between diverse groups within the USSR,
including scientists, educators, cultural groups, journalists,
environmentalists, computer enthusiasts, etc.; it will also
enable these Soviet groups to correspond electronically  with
their counterparts in the Americas, Europe, and Asia.

GlasNet will be part of the Association for Progressive Computing
(APC), a global network-of-networks with host computers in
Australia (Pegasus), Brazil (AlterNex), Canada (Web), Great
Britain (GreenNet), Nicaragua (Nicarao), Sweden (FredsNaetet),
and the USA (PeaceNet,EcoNet).  The first GlasNet host computer
will be a 386 computer running UNIX; it will use the standard APC
electronic mail, conferencing, and networking software. The
initial hardware configuration will support 5,000 user accounts;
of these 10 to 30 can be on line simultaneously.  Present plans
call for GlasNet to be operational in early 1991.

Dave Caulkins
GlasNet Director

shaw@saturn.med.ge.com (Tom Shaw ct58 5084) (01/12/91)

In article <229@platypus.uofs.edu> bill@platypus.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
>In article <1111100016@cdp>, dcaulkins@cdp.UUCP writes:
>>
>> Modems are indeed in short supply in the USSR.  Lack of them has
>> slowed networking in the USSR.
>>

>I personally would like to see networking in this country expanded to
>include High Schools and Elementary Schools before we start sending
>equipment and aid to other countries (including the Soviet Union.)
>
>We have too many Computer Illiterate people here to even consider helping
>the rest of the world.  What ever happened to the proverb "Charity begins
>at home."
>

>--
>
>     Bill Gunshannon          |        If this statement wasn't here,
>     bill@platypus.uofs.edu   |  This space would be left intentionally blank

I'd like to see some more networking too, but I heartly endorse anyone
who wants to network their own country.  What I'd really like to see
is the reference section of the Library of Congress on-line with
"realtime" access or a fast as possible.

My 300 soles or what ever the exchange rate is these days.

Tom
Thomas A. Shaw                  | Roman rule:
G.E. Medical Systems            |   The one who says it cannot be done
16800 West Ryerson Rd NB-920    |   should never interrupt the one who
New Berlin, WI 53151            |   is doing it.
uucp:		{uunet!crdgw1|sun!sunbird}!gemed!shaw
internet:	shawta@gemed.ge.com
internet:       shawta@comet.med.ge.com