[comp.dcom.modems] CIS & USR DS

bob@ns.UUCP (Robert J. Mathias Jr.) (01/03/91)

In a previous article, I reported that CompuServe had purchased USR Dual
standard modems.  I have just found out that these modems are rack mounted and
that CIS plans to only enable V.32 on these modems.  It seems a pity that
CIS does not play to enable HST mode.  Also I cannot figure out why they
chose the Dual Standard if they only plan on using V.32.

--
Bob J. Mathias, Jr                   uucp: ...!uunet!ccicpg!uis-oc!ns.UUCP!bob
Unisys Corporation                   voice: (714) 727-0323

tnixon@hayes.uucp (01/07/91)

In article <49@ns.UUCP>, bob@ns.UUCP (Robert J. Mathias Jr.) writes:

> In a previous article, I reported that CompuServe had purchased USR Dual
> standard modems.  I have just found out that these modems are rack mounted and
> that CIS plans to only enable V.32 on these modems.  It seems a pity that
> CIS does not play to enable HST mode.  Also I cannot figure out why they
> chose the Dual Standard if they only plan on using V.32.

When I asked a CompuServe rep about this, he explained that they
aren't enabling HST mode for a very simple reason:  once they offer
a service, it is almost impossible to ever withdraw it or not offer
it universally.  Because only USR builds modems with the
non-standard HST modulation, if CompuServe enabled HST modulation,
they'd be locked into using only USR modems, forever and ever.  They
don't want this!  They went with USR because few companies now have
rack-mounted V.32 modems, but this won't be the case in the future.
They want to be able to choose from a wide range of alternatives the
NEXT time they go out to bid on modems, and not be stuck with having
to provide a non-standard modulation forever.

As to why they chose DS modems rather than just V.32s, it was
probably because that was what was available at the time in
sufficient qualitities.  I'm sure CIS cut a good deal and didn't pay
for the HST modulation they weren't going to use.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

cbradley@Busl.COM (Chris Bradley) (01/08/91)

In article <49@ns.UUCP> bob@ns.UUCP (Robert J. Mathias Jr.) writes:
>In a previous article, I reported that CompuServe had purchased USR Dual
>standard modems.
	[complaint about non-HST suppressed]
>I cannot figure out why they
>chose the Dual Standard if they only plan on using V.32.

Could this be a "vendor incentive?"		:-)

--
Chris Bradley			| "Nothing is more certain than incertainties;
Businessland Advanced Systems	|  Fortune is full of fresh variety:

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (01/09/91)

tnixon@hayes.uucp writes:

>In article <49@ns.UUCP>, bob@ns.UUCP (Robert J. Mathias Jr.) writes:

>As to why they chose DS modems rather than just V.32s, it was
>probably because that was what was available at the time in

but wouldn't you think that they would at least keep the HST
modulation "turned on" so those with DS modems could take advantage
of the increased throughput over V.32?

BTW - what is the speed of the line from the major and minor hub
cities back to CIS?  Are they using 56KB, T1 or X.25?

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0282 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator

tnixon@hayes.uucp (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan08.171427.29629@nstar.rn.com>, larry@nstar.rn.com
(Larry Snyder) writes:

>>As to why they chose DS modems rather than just V.32s, it was
>>probably because that was what was available at the time in
>
> but wouldn't you think that they would at least keep the HST
> modulation "turned on" so those with DS modems could take advantage
> of the increased throughput over V.32?

No, because that would also make the HST modulation available to
HST-only users (not DS).  Once CIS makes a service available, it is
extremely difficult to take it back, so they'd be stuck providing
HST modulation forever (and therefore locked into buying their
modems from USR).

> BTW - what is the speed of the line from the major and minor hub
> cities back to CIS?  Are they using 56KB, T1 or X.25?

Depends on the city.  Their internal network protocol is NOT X.25.
Some of the links to smaller cities are 9600bps, most are 56Kbps,
and some of the larger cities (i.e., all of the ones which currently
have 9600bps service) are on T1.

--

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan08.171427.29629@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
   BTW - what is the speed of the line from the major and minor hub
   cities back to CIS?  Are they using 56KB, T1 or X.25?

A minor nit from someone who just spent two weeks documenting an X.25
implementation - X.25 isn't a speed, it's a (family of) protocols at
the Link layer of the ISO protocol stack model.  It can run over the
things that you get from the phone company when you say "56Kb" or it
can run over the things that you get when you ask for "T1".  It can
run over wires that are slower or faster, too, and the Amateur gang
runs something derivative that doesn't need wires (AX.25) and calls it
Packet Radio.  There's even an Ethernet type field value assigned for
it (0x0805).