[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit ATJ6J0?

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (01/09/91)

There has been some reference in this group to the undocumented status
info extracted by ATJ6J0 on a trailblazer. Does anyone have documentation?
In particular, how should I interpret the following sample output that
it gives me:

atj6j0
R000000 R002 N006 EC000
T000046 F002885 R001054 M000004 E000000
F000111 O000000
028 046 060
025
259 249 014 013 L L T000
M000
OK

--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!km    UUCP

cirian@einstein.eds.com (Steve Cirian) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan9.090037@mathcs.emory.edu>, km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
> There has been some reference in this group to the undocumented status
> info extracted by ATJ6J0 on a trailblazer. Does anyone have documentation?

I saved the following from this newsgroup a while ago:

<<From dnb@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu Tue Apr  3 13:14:28 1990
<<From: dnb@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (David N. Blank)
<<
<<The second, and perhaps less "put your ear on the modem and listen for
<<the train coming, Paleface" advice I got was to use the following
<<(undocumented, hooray!) command: ATJ6J0.  This gives a result of the
<<form:
<<   Raaaaaa Rbbbb Rccc
<<   Tdddddd Feeeeee Rffffff Mgggggg Ehhhhhh
<<   jjj lll mmm
<<   nnn
<<   ooo ppp
<<   Mqqqq
<<
<< where:
<<    a - count of number of times modem has retrained
<<    b - reason for last retrain:
<<       0) never retrained
<<       1) modem saw too many quiet packets
<<       2) packet error rate too high
<<       3) same packet was retransmitted too often
<<       4) &R command was issued
<<    c - reason for the last "NO CARRIER" message:
<<       0) never reported "NO CARRIER"
<<       1) failed during synch
<<       2) packet size too small
<<       3) carrier lost
<<       4) H0 command issued
<<       5) Illegal switch to 212/v22bis
<<       6) DTR dropped
<<       7) talk/data switch pushed
<<       8) negotiation failed
<<       9) received disconnect packet
<<    d - the number of packets thrown out
<<    e - the number of packets received while full
<<    f - the number of packets retransmitted
<<    g - the number of times the modem missed a line turnaround
<<    h - the number of times the modem didn't have a packet ready to
<<        transmit when it was its trun to send
<<    i - the number of framing errors
<<    j - the number of overrun errors
<<    k/l/m - the 2/4/6 bit S/N ratios
<<    n - the attenuator setting
<<    o - the number of bytes per transmitted packet
<<    p - the number of bytes per received packet
<<    q - the MNP class the modem is operating at
<<
<<Please don't ask me to interpret any of the above for you, I typed it
<<straight from the information Tech support gave me (a nice set of
<<people, BTW). If the above display indicates a problem, I understand
<<you can up the amount of tone used for PEP and twiddle a bit with its
<<operating paramters.  For that info, you should see Tech support.
<<Hope this stuff is useful.
<<         Peace,
<<           dNb
<<        dnb@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu
<<
<<P.S. as a last resort you could try spattering sheep's blood on your
<<modem or conducting a small sacrifice.  It may not help the modem
<<problem, but it does wonders for stress.
<<
<<

--
Steve Cirian		~  local girl:  What does BRMC stand for?
750 Tower Drive		~  Johnny:      Black Rebels Motorcycle Club

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (01/12/91)

We received this June 19, 1990 in a FAX from Telebit.  It doesn't
necessarily match all revisions of their modem firmware, but it offers
some useful insight into a lot of weird situations anyway.  It seems a
little more recent than the list that cirian@einstein.eds.com (Steve
Cirian) saved from dnb@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (David N. Blank)'s
earlier posting.

AT J6J0 Display

Raaaaaa Rbbb Nccc ECddd
Tffffff Fgggggg Rhhhhhh Miiiiii Ejjjjjj
Fkkkkkk Ollllll
mmm nnn ooo
ppp
qqq rrr sss ttt u v Twww xxx
Myyy

aaaaaa - the number of times the modem has retrained

bbb - the cause of the retrain
 0 - never retrained
 1 - modem saw too many quiet packets
 2 - modem received too many bad packets
 3 - modem sent the same packet too many times
 4 - an &R was issued

ccc - the cause of the NO CARRIER
 1 - failed synchronization
 2 - packets too small
 3 - retrained too often or v22bis/v22/212 lost carrier
 4 - H command issued
 5 - illegal switch to/from PEP and v22bis/v22/212
 6 - DTR dropped
 7 - talk/data switch pushed
 8 - failed negotiation
 9 - received disconnect packet from far modem

ddd - number of times the modem sent a disabling tone

ffffff - number of packets thrown out because the sequence number was
	out of range

gggggg - number of packets discarded because the receiver packet
	buffer was full

hhhhhh - number of packets retransmitted

iiiiii - number of missed turnarounds

jjjjjj - number of times an empty packet was sent because there was no
	transmit packet ready

kkkkkk - number of framing errors

llllll - number of overrun errors

mmm/nnn/ooo - SNR thresholds for 2/4/6 bits in Q1

ppp - the attenuator setting

qqq/rrr - size of long XMT/RCV packets in bytes

sss/ttt - size of short XMT/RCV packets in bytes

u/v - XMT/RCV mode (L = long only, S = short/long, M = micro/long)

www - number of tone packets in front of the data burst

xxx - "CDD" "TCD" or "TCDT" as appropriate

yyy - MNP class