[comp.dcom.modems] V.32vis Fall-BACK/FORWARD Standards? Do they exist?

enger@seka.scc.com (Robert M. Enger) (01/14/91)

Folks:

In one of the many excellent articles posted to this group,
it was stated that USR provides a Fall-FORWARD capability
(to restore a link to higher speed after a line impairment has ceased).

The author mentioned that this Fall-FORWARD capability was
PROPRIETARY to USR.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE V.32bis STANDARD ACTUALLY SAYS
WITH REGARD TO FALL-BACK/FORWARD?

Is there a *real* standard for Fall-FORWARD?
Has USR promised to upgrade/migrate to the standard (if it exists)?

Thanks,
Bob Enger
enger@seka.scc.com

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (01/15/91)

In article <1991Jan14.021653.1194@europa.asd.contel.com> enger@seka.scc.com writes:
>Folks:
>
>The author mentioned that this Fall-FORWARD capability was
>PROPRIETARY to USR.
>
>DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE V.32bis STANDARD ACTUALLY SAYS
>WITH REGARD TO FALL-BACK/FORWARD?

Any V.32 modem can request a retrain at any time.  All you have
to do is request the higher rate in the subsequent training
sequence.  There is at least one other modem vendor that will go
back to a higher rate after having previously dropped to a lower
one.  The implementation IF PROPRIETARY explicitly means that
the modem implementing same IS NOT V.32 COMPLIANT--as
proprietary and compliant are mutually exclusive!!!

I have heard the ability to increase rate referred to a
"Gearshift" mode, but cannot recall if this is a trademarked
term or a generic one...

BTW, the one other vendor I know of dropped the feature, as
typically the retrain to shift rates took more time, on a
typical call, than continuing at the lower rate would...i.e. the
MODEM is not the best place to figure out if toll charges for a
specific call would be best minimized by hanging up and trying
for another circuit...