[comp.dcom.modems] v.32 recommendation needed

jim@shograf.UUCP (jim morris) (01/15/91)

Can anyone recommend a "RELIABLE" V.32 compliant modem.
I have a T2500 that won't connect to anything but a PEP Modem
(Thats Ok Thats all I want it for!!)

I have just tried the Prometheus PROModem 9600 Plus. But it drops its
connection regularly at both 2400 and 9600. Also the FAX part doesn't work for me
at all.

I don't care what the price is anymore I just want something that will work!

	Thanks

Jim Morris (jim@shograf.com)

lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) (01/15/91)

In article <430@shograf.UUCP> jim@shograf.com (jim morris) writes:
>Can anyone recommend a "RELIABLE" V.32 compliant modem.

Here we are using UDS v3224's (v.32 MNP, no v.42) as dial-in/outs.  SOME
non-MNP 2400 buad modems can't stand to see their negotiation, but no problems
with 1200 or 9600 connects.

I also use a Hayes ULTRA stand-alone and regularly connect with v.32's, 2400
and 1200 baud non-EC modems, as well as a USR HST with v.42 (at 2400).

Neither of these experience carrier drop.  Check the values in the S9 and S10
registers before giving up on the Prometheus.

--
Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)

      Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
      constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.

bob@ns.UUCP (Robert J. Mathias Jr.) (01/16/91)

In article <430@shograf.UUCP> jim@shograf.com (jim morris) writes:
>Can anyone recommend a "RELIABLE" V.32 compliant modem.
>I have a T2500 that won't connect to anything but a PEP Modem
>(Thats Ok Thats all I want it for!!)

We use a T2500 at work for a USENET feed (which uses PEP).  I just bought
the new USR DS modem so I could have access from home.  For this I use
V.32 with V.42 LAPM error control.  Both the T2500 and the USR DS work great
in this mode.  I can't say that both of these are reliable V.32 modems since
I am just a single user but I can tell you that for me it works!
--
Bob Mathias                          uucp: ...!uunet!ccicpg!uis-oc!ns.UUCP!bob
Unisys Corporation                   voice: (714) 727-0323