[comp.dcom.modems] HST waiting for "bong" tone

bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) (01/17/91)

Does anyone know if is possible to get a USR Courier HST to
pause for a "bong" tone (the tone you get after you enter a
telephone number with a leading "0" after which you can
enter your calling card number)?  I know that I can get it
to:

	*  just wait for 2 seconds (',')

	*  wait for 2nd dial tone ('W')

	*  wait for an answer ('@')

I frequently have to call to the other end of the state and
it seems like there must be a better way than simply trying
over and over again until you "hit" the correct number of
commas (ranges from 4-12 depending on the network).

If this feature is not supported, is there a compelling reason
why?

Thanks, in advance.

Bruce

--
Bruce W. Mohler
Systems Programmer (aka Staff Analyst)

tnixon@hayes.uucp (01/17/91)

In article <15668@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W.
Mohler) writes:

> Does anyone know if is possible to get a USR Courier HST to
> pause for a "bong" tone (the tone you get after you enter a
> telephone number with a leading "0" after which you can
> enter your calling card number)?

The "@" dial modifier is defined (in Hayes products, anyway) as
"Wait for Quiet Answer".  The purpose is to allow you to call into
systems (such as PBXes with DISA [Direct Inward System Access])
which give you a tone then wait for you to dial a number.  Well,
this is essentially what the "bong" tone is.  The "@" dial modifier
listens for some call progress tone (usually, a ring signal),
followed by five seconds of silence (because rings are usually four
seconds apart).  In most Hayes modems, the "@" will trigger this
five-second timer when it hears a "bong" tone, and, when the timer
expires, go on and dial.  So, it _can_ be used as a "wait for bong
tone", with your credit card number following, so long as the
operator doesn't come on the line within the five-second period.
Some used to, but I haven't had any trouble in quite a while with
AT&T operators coming on the line within the five seconds.

I don't know if USR uses the same criteria for triggering their "@"
dial modifier, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-449-8791  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404